my review of the b80 dashcam

one of the worst night performance i saw.
the b40 is much better from the "updated" new model.
but nice review.

Thanks for time and effort on review.

I have concerns at :

19 min 28 sec
19 min 45 sec

My biggest surprise came here:

20 min 42 sec - rate 10 / 10 ?

That night performance looks really bad?!

For night video I'd rate it like a nice woman and give it 1

honestly the night performance was **** but my town is really dark at night not alot of street lights also there are night vision functions you can enable but i didnt mess with it and my head lights are very dim so that didnt help any i gave it 10/10 for the audio video performance during the day the night time video deserves like a 3 theres still that chance something could happen at night and id rather have dark video than none also i could mess with the video setting ie exsposure and balance and teak it for night time but this was an out of the box review

honestly the night performance was **** ..... i gave it 10/10 for the audio video performance during the day the night time video deserves like a 3 theres still that chance something could happen at night...

So then it should have been, at best, a 7 out of 10? :confused:

I know who produced this, I think they didn't care much about the video quality.
Maybe they just think improved the design will sell very well.

Now I have much confidence with our A119, regarding the night video quality, if we tune the firmware well, I can say it should be the best one as using new sensor and lens.

What's the spec of the A119 please @billknow?

Sounds interesting thanks Bill - what sort of plastic chassis is that using, similar to the A118 style?

Hardware spec: NTK96660 + IMX291 Sensor + F2.0 lens.

Wow, I just ordered the Street Guardian SG9665GC, but this sounds like it has better specs. I wish I had waited to hear more about this A119 before buying now. Will it be capacitor based (i.e. A119C)? Any idea around how much it will be priced?

honestly the night performance was **** but my town is really dark at night not alot of street lights also there are night vision functions you can enable but i didnt mess with it and my head lights are very dim so that didnt help any i gave it 10/10 for the audio video performance during the day the night time video deserves like a 3 theres still that chance something could happen at night and id rather have dark video than none also i could mess with the video setting ie exsposure and balance and teak it for night time but this was an out of the box review
I shot this some time ago with an SG9665GC. Out in the middle of nowhere, no street lights and no other cars. This is the level that cameras should be aiming for in complete darkness

daytime footage wasn't very good (kinda blurry, even accounting for youtube compression) but night is absolutely horrid. even my crappy old F70/i1000 camera has better night footage than this "b80".

in a well-lit parking lot like the Target shopping center at the beginning of the night footage, you should be able to see a LOT more than just blurry signs. just from the video samples you posted, this looks like a camera to avoid.

just because someone gives you a camera for free to review it does not mean you have to give it 10/10 rating. be honest. that's what we expect of reviewers. otherwise you're just doing really cheap advertising for them, and doing a disservice to your viewers. i had negative things to say about the DS200 and iTrue X3 cameras i reviewed (links in my signature) and that didn't stop another manufacturer from asking me to review their camera. in fact i think it encouraged them because they know i won't lie about what i find.

true - some sellers may want you to write nothing but good things even if it means lying about their product. i'm not saying @estore009 is like that (in fact i doubt they are since they do post here and seem to listen to people's comments), but many companies really do care and want HONESTY so that they can improve their offerings and thus have a GOOD product that people actually want to buy. because a really good product gets you the best kind of free advertising - word of mouth. for example - @jokiin truly cares about how people perceive his products, so he puts a lot of time and effort into them to make sure they're good. as a result, street guardian has a good reputation and gets a lot of free press here on the forums and elsewhere.

daytime footage wasn't very good (kinda blurry, even accounting for youtube compression) but night is absolutely horrid. even my crappy old F70/i1000 camera has better night footage than this "b80".

in a well-lit parking lot like the Target shopping center at the beginning of the night footage, you should be able to see a LOT more than just blurry signs. just from the video samples you posted, this looks like a camera to avoid.

just because someone gives you a camera for free to review it does not mean you have to give it 10/10 rating. be honest. that's what we expect of reviewers. otherwise you're just doing really cheap advertising for them, and doing a disservice to your viewers. i had negative things to say about the DS200 and iTrue X3 cameras i reviewed (links in my signature) and that didn't stop another manufacturer from asking me to review their camera. in fact i think it encouraged them because they know i won't lie about what i find.

true - some sellers may want you to write nothing but good things even if it means lying about their product. i'm not saying @estore009 is like that (in fact i doubt they are since they do post here and seem to listen to people's comments), but many companies really do care and want HONESTY so that they can improve their offerings and thus have a GOOD product that people actually want to buy. because a really good product gets you the best kind of free advertising - word of mouth. for example - @jokiin truly cares about how people perceive his products, so he puts a lot of time and effort into them to make sure they're good. as a result, street guardian has a good reputation and gets a lot of free press here on the forums and elsewhere.
Well said, and I agree totally. @jokiin should also be commended for the unselfish way that he helps everyone as much as he can, even though they may not even be a user of his products. Character always comes through, and that is why he is so highly regarded.

Back