Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukasdirect.com Street Guardian BulletHD Calgarydashcam.com
Just seen this guy posted on Engadget.

Very impressive device at $400
Plus monthly subscription (first dash camera that I know of that has a monthly subscription as side from fleet tracking units)

Thoughts anyone?

nauto.jpg

"Nauto's dash cam promises to make old cars a little smarter"
" Effectively, the Nauto is a dash camera that monitors the surrounding vehicles as well as your face, keeping track of your eye movements and making sure you're being safe."
"folks are likely to get their first chance with the tech in the Fall of 2016 -- with the Nauto camera costing $400, plus a monthly subscription fee."

Full Engadget article;
http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/29/nauto-dash-cam-fall-2016

Nauto press release;
http://www.nauto.com/press/

very light on actual technical detail, I think it's more driver aid than dashcam though going by the spiel, looks like something you might see on Kickstarter

This whole technology concept strikes me as creepy and Big Brotherly to an extreme. Not only is it tracking everything you do on the road, including what you are looking at it, even if you simply glance at your clock or radio but it is recording all that data and sending it to their servers and others. On their web site they specifically discuss sending the information to insurance companies to assess your risk behavior as a driver using telematics. "The basic idea of telematics auto insurance is that a driver's behavior is monitored directly while the person drives and this information is transmitted to an insurance company. The insurance company then assesses the risk of that driver having an accident and charges insurance premiums accordingly."

And they want me to pay for a subscription to this on top of spending 400 dollars to install the device in my vehicle? No thanks.

Last edited:
yeah I'm not sure turning your car into a poor man's Tesla has that much appeal, these are just VC guys that I would think hope to get some interest and then offload a proof of concept at a profit to some auto maker

yeah I'm not sure turning your car into a poor man's Tesla has that much appeal, these are just VC guys that I would think hope to get some interest and then offload a proof of concept at a profit to some auto maker
Very good point.

This whole technology concept strikes me as creepy and Big Brotherly to an extreme. Not only is it tracking everything you do on the road, including what you are looking at it, even if you simply glance at your clock or radio but it is recording all that data and sending it to their servers and others. On their web site they specifically discuss sending the information to insurance companies to assess your risk behavior as a driver using telematics. "The basic idea of telematics auto insurance is that a driver's behavior is monitored directly while the person drives and this information is transmitted to an insurance company. The insurance company then assesses the risk of that driver having an accident and charges insurance premiums accordingly."

And they want me to pay for a subscription to this on top of spending 400 dollars to install the device in my vehicle? No thanks.

Completely agree. It seems rather counter productive for a consumer to pay a monthly fee to send data to insurance in hopes of a insurance cut.

I do think this idea would be appealing to fleet customers though.

Very good point.

Completely agree. It seems rather counter productive for a consumer to pay a monthly fee to send data to insurance in hopes of a insurance cut.

I do think this idea would be appealing to fleet customers though.

A trucker friend of mine who drove for a national fleet has been bemoaning the fact for years that he had been under constant surveillance via a satellite system that tracks driver's speed, coordinates and other data in real time back at company headquarters. If he stopped for too long to have a meal, go to the bathroom or take a much needed nap, he would sometimes hear about it from his boss. He would even get calls from the home office regarding his route, his speed or questions about delays and breakdowns. Big Brother is only becoming more and more intrusive as the technology advances. My friend no longer works for a fleet but instead works for a regional natural foods distribution warehousing company that allows their drivers more autonomy.

A trucker friend of mine who drove for a national fleet has been bemoaning the fact for years that he had been under constant surveillance via a satellite system that tracks driver's speed, coordinates and other data in real time back at company headquarters. If he stopped for too long to have a meal, go to the bathroom or take a much needed nap, he would sometimes hear about it from his boss. He would even get calls from the home office regarding his route, his speed or questions about delays and breakdowns. Big Brother is only becoming more and more intrusive as the technology advances. My friend no longer works for a fleet but instead works for a regional natural foods distribution warehousing company that allows their drivers more autonomy.
Personally, the future of technical surveillance deeply worries me...

Back