New Dashcams worth the wait?

GTAA

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm ready to buy but haven't found my 'perfect' cam yet, any new blockbusters coming out in the near future I should wait on? I had worked my list down to two cams (lk7900, panoramaII), both of which had a few things I didn't like. I'm totally open on budget.

must have:

high quality
lcd screen
loop / lock
long enough cord to conceal in liner / a-pillar (coupe)

nice to have:

motion detection without having to hardwire - is this possible? (internal battery)
the smaller the better
a mount that swivels (prefer 180/360, at least 90 to capture side views when needed)
gps
mac compatible software
audio

not crucial:

capability for huge storage
wifi
extreme temperatures / rugged

I'm ready to buy but haven't found my 'perfect' cam yet, any new blockbusters coming out in the near future I should wait on? I had worked my list down to two cams (lk7900, panoramaII), both of which had a few things I didn't like. I'm totally open on budget.

must have:

high quality
lcd screen
loop / lock
long enough cord to conceal in liner / a-pillar (coupe)

nice to have:

motion detection without having to hardwire - is this possible? (internal battery)
the smaller the better
a mount that swivels (prefer 180/360, at least 90 to capture side views when needed)
gps
mac compatible software
audio

not crucial:

capability for huge storage
wifi
extreme temperatures / rugged
The upcoming GuardTrak GT2S and the Vicovation Marcus 1 both fit your needs. The GT2S being the smaller of the two it just doesn't have the swivel mount. You can find threads for both here

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/guardtrak.55/

And here

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/vicovation.25/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! A little new to this world, spent hours over the past few days combing through multiple threads, sites, comments, reviews, etc. Appreciate the help I'll check them out now

The upcoming GuardTrak GT2S and the Vicovation Marcus
I second this. The GuardTrak model has some great support and components behind it, and I have first hand experience with the prior Vicovation models (TF2/WF1) I would not run anything less then the best in my coupe (2000 Z28 Camaro)

The Vicovation models have a great lock file system where they only capture 1 min of footage (30 seconds when button was pressed then 30 more seconds) instead of other models that just lock the entire file of chosen normal recording length, and as you will see in the Vicovation section the rear view mirror mount that I have been testing with lets you move the camera around without having to worry about a suction cup falling or using a 3M stick bracket.

Would it be pretty comparable to the Panorama II (+'s/-'s?)? I've wondering if potential benefits will outweigh the wait. The thorn in my side is buying a new 'insert electronic name here' right before a new version comes out 'the next day' which seems to be way better and leaves me feeling like a chump for jumping the gun when I should have waited had I known about it (got 'burned' on my iMac, gopro, etc)

Timing is everything but there is no right time in the end really. It's an evolving market like PC's were 10-15 years ago.
Better to have a cam sooner rather than later, some footage rather than nothing. I should know as today I was inches from being rear ended. Guess what? My rear Möbius was in my other car that I decided to drive one day a week ago. Why didn't I put it right back in my usual winter beater I don't know but I wish I had just to review a very close call today.

Would it be pretty comparable to the Panorama II (+'s/-'s?)? I've wondering if potential benefits will outweigh the wait. The thorn in my side is buying a new 'insert electronic name here' right before a new version comes out 'the next day' which seems to be way better and leaves me feeling like a chump for jumping the gun when I should have waited had I known about it (got 'burned' on my iMac, gopro, etc)
I would say the GuardTrak is worth the wait, if you can. @The Marcus-1 is releasing as we speak across the globe and should be in NA by the end of the month. Jokiin is the developer of the GuardTrak models and a forum member. He put a good amount of time, listening and learning what people want and need, so this camera should be good.

Once you start with a forward facing cam, you will probably want a rear one as well. So if waiting for a cam is too long, maybe get a great basic camera like the Mobius or G1W (both under $90), something you can use as you discover what you like and need. They're both great cameras with sharp video. Then when the newer models come with more features, you will know what is perfect for you and move your basic camera to the back window.

Fortunately it's a nice to have not a must have. Any North American release date (the threads are lengthy and I couldn't pinpoint the latest update)? Hopefully they'll be a good option for ordering to Canada, I feel like we get a fraction of what's available in the US.

appreciate the recommendation, doesn't have the ability to swivel though so doesn't meet the requirements

I'm afraid because of my needs the lack of swivel is the one thing missing for me about the GuardTrak but in the tradition of DIY here at DCT I'm already figuring out my "wedge" angle adjuster.

appreciate the recommendation, doesn't have the ability to swivel though so doesn't meet the requirements
As requested by the OP "prefer 180/360, at least 90 to capture side views when needed" The GT2S can capture side views with your mount, just turn the steering wheel and it can capture 360 degrees :p

The are some dashcams out there that almost could meet your needs, but suggesting them narrows choice to your @ Mac compatible and LCD.
How important those things for you?
I guess you use iPhone, right?

Damn......Australian's putting us to shame once again.
That's it i'm moving.
Unpack your bags man, sit back and enjoy an American showing how to use a dash cam to capture 360 degrees flawlessly

Are there any release dates known for the Marcus-1 or the GuardTrak GT2S or where they can be ordered from for delivery to Miami?

I am a little confused as people on here are saying they are not out, yet at http://www.guardtrak.info/products/ they appear to be available to order (or at least the GT2S)???

Thanks - any timescale?

One month, three months etc.?

Need to know if worth waiting or look for an alternative.

Back