New DVR-207GS

DashCamMan

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks like estore009 has just started selling a new model called the DVR-207GS. It is a DVR-207 with a G-sensor and newer firmware. Price is $70. Likely the only difference is the G-sensor.

M111304.jpg

M111301_001.jpg

To bad they did not go the rest of the way and stick a P in the middle.
I think i would be willing to upgrade my old 027 for a 207 with gapless and G sensor and GPS.

Although i am guessing the case my be a little small for GPS and possibly the Zoran chip not able to handle it?

Have you noticed any problems with the unit? My DVR-207 will not loop and will shut off requiring a reboot after a while. I have tried Ramshackle's fix to no avail. I was going to have Vicky at Estore send me a DVR-027 instead because they are more proven, but I am wondering if the new DVR-207GS is any better quality.

Any thoughts?

Bob

In estore009 listing for the 207GS it says:
Now,we introduce a better and newer Dash Cam-DVR207GS,
which is updated from 027 and DVR 207,and fixed some problems of 027 and DVR207,have better quality and video
And has G-sensor function and new firmware

Wonder what it means by fixed some problems of 027 and DVR207?

I was just about to order the DVR207 when I saw the DVR207GS. Now i'm not sure what to do.

Phantom,

Kiwi, Ramshackle and myself have all had similar issues with the 207. They don't tend to loop, and they wont stay on for extended periods of time requiring a battery reboot. Ramshackle seemed to fix this problem either by hopping in the DeLorean and traveling back to 2005 and buying a 512mb SD card or reformatting a newer one, I'm not sure which. He has a pretty significant thread on here that details it. I don't know what Kiwi did, but I am talking with Vicky at Estore about replacing it. As I mentioned, I was going to go to the 027 because I see no benefit of having the 207. The only additional feature, as I understand it, is its ability to take worthless 15 fps 1080 video. Allegedly the 207 cures the video cycle time issue, but again, I wouldn't know because my camera fails to loop most of the time.

So, short answer, get the 027 or be a guinea pig. If you do that, know that help is only 10,000 miles away.

-Bob

unpaidbill said:
Since I'm a newbie at this...what's the addition of a G-sensor do?

can be used for parking mode, auto file protection, basic telemetry etc, what they are using of this I'm not sure though

I have had my 207 running at least 9 hours a day for 11 days now. No looping or battery pull issues at all. It's been solid. I'm using THIS SD card.

My box says it has G sensor, but it's not in the firmware. Has anyone been able to figure out an easy to upgrade to the latest firmware yet?

I've been using a Mushkin 32GB class 10 in my cam, but I just got another one for my parents and will be using a Sony 32GB class 10 in theirs. If I see any issues, I'll post them up.

I just bought this model from estore009. It's my first dash cam so I don't really know how good/bad it is.
Seems ok to me, although It might help if I cleaned my windscreen...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought this dashcam, had it for a day or so.

Unfortunately I seem to have the FM interference issue. There is alot of noise on the radio when plugged into the charger. EStore009 has told me that they'll send me a replacement charger, which i'm happy about.

This morning however on the way to work (second time using) the unit blacked out and would not begin again until I removed and replaced the battery. I've read this is possibly an issue with the SD card.

I'm running a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Class 10. I'm currently doing a full format of it to 64 bit sectors. I'm hoping this fixes my issues.

Received my new DVR-207GS today, 13/05/13. I did a fair bit of research beforehand, I reckon there may be some better cams out there but its cheap and has a large user base. Bought from estore009 on 3rd for AUD 70, delivered to AusPost, Sydney on 7th, delivered to me in Melbourne on 13th ! Thanks AusPost.

First impressions: the unit is smaller than I thought, the mounting bracket is huge.

Cam was easy to configure. I am using an 8 Gig Class 10 Kingston SD card (will upgrade to 32 Gig when I can).

First prob was playback on my pc, so jerky it was more like freeze frame every 4 seconds or so. I'm using Windows XP and VLC. Real Player and Win Media Player wouldn't playback at all. Resolved this by downloading H.264 driver for DivX but not ideal solution, feel much more comfy with VLC :(

Would be interested to hear what others are using for playback.

I had an idea that I might upload vids to Youtube so I set recording file duration to 5 minutes. The gap between files is 2 seconds. Currently uploading my first 5 min test file to Youtube who tell me upload duration is 45 minutes ! Anyone know of a faster method (my internet connection is ADSL, up to 8 Mbps).

On the plus side, the removable battery was fully charged and I was even able to wander around the house with the cam handheld. Unfortunately the wide angle lens distorts anything close so not much use for home movies :)

Like dgm's comments, I really need to clean my screen, inside and out. I thought I had cleaned a big enough patch but the cam sits a fair way back so you need to clean the whole screen.

To summarise: Cam received promptly and all parts in working order (so far). Mounting bracket is large and I'm having difficulty mounting it discreetly but, on balance, I'd rather have a tough one than a weak one. Some drawbacks with playback but hopefully some other user can put me right. So, five stars to estore009 :).

gerardthebutler said:
Received my new DVR-207GS today, 13/05/13. I did a fair bit of research beforehand, I reckon there may be some better cams out there but its cheap and has a large user base.

First impressions: the unit is smaller than I thought, the mounting bracket is huge.

Cam was easy to configure. I am using an 8 Gig Class 10 Kingston SD card (will upgrade to 32 Gig when I can).

First prob was playback on my pc, so jerky it was more like freeze frame every 4 seconds or so. I'm using Windows XP and VLC. Real Player and Win Media Player wouldn't playback at all. Resolved this by downloading H.264 driver for DivX but not ideal solution, feel much more comfy with VLC :(

Would be interested to hear what others are using for playback.

I had an idea that I might upload vids to Youtube so I set recording file duration to 5 minutes. The gap between files is 2 seconds. Currently uploading my first 5 min test file to Youtube who tell me upload duration is 45 minutes ! Anyone know of a faster method (my internet connection is ADSL, up to 8 Mbps).

On the plus side, the removable battery was fully charged and I was even able to wander around the house with the cam handheld. Unfortunately the wide angle lens distorts anything close so not much use for home movies :)

Like dgm's comments, I really need to clean my screen, inside and out. I thought I had cleaned a big enough patch but the cam sits a fair way back so you need to clean the whole screen.

To summarise: Cam received promptly and all parts in working order (so far). Mounting bracket is large and I'm having difficulty mounting it discreetly but, on balance, I'd rather have a tough one than a weak one. Some drawbacks with playback but hopefully some other user can put me right. So, five stars to estore009 :).

I'm glad my research lead me to this forum. I want a small DashCam for my Smart Car. The updated VC-250GS seems like a good bang for the buck and perfect size.

So yeah my Smart's review mirror is too tiny to replace with a huge new wide DVR one, or clip on an over laying DVR monster add-on one. (bye bye sun visor motion) They are all priced it seems well. $200 or more?

I like my little Smart mirror, so adding a little dash cam just to the right is perfect.

Q-Can you post a photo of how it looks mounted in your car?

-I plan on running the tucked power wire along the window hidden out of sight.

-That sucks about VLC player!!!

Q-Is it reliable to auto record turn on/off day after day?

I'm excited to be part of the growing DashCam userbase out there. I'm assuming I can quickly unmount this should I need to run out with it for further recording right?
Q- how long does that little battery claim to last once you unplug power?

Q- where's your youtube demo clip?

gerardthebutler said:
The gap between files is 2 seconds.

So is it confirmed the new DVR-207GS has gaps between file breaks? I was hoping it was continuous. Apparently the previous DVR-207 non GS has gaps. http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-207/

So does the GS has gaps too? If so, no fun. (It's not a deal breaker but still)

This guy is looking for the older DVR007 for that very reason. (gap free) viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1317

EDIT: here we go, to keep gaps away.......
http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-207/#Gaps_between_clips
"Make sure motion detection is off otherwise the camera will generate gaps between clips."

hmmm even on a nice fast class 10 card? It would be nice to leave motion detection on.
Hmmm maybe they mean gaps as in no motion, no recording? I think their are two types of gaps scenarios here possibly. (someone please clarify)

also...
http://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-027-720p/#Ga ... ideo_clips
"Note that a new model has been released, called the DVR-207. It is quite similar to the DVR-027 but comes with newer firmware and no gaps between files."
"You may also want to consider the newer DVR-207. This dash cam is nearly identical but with some minor improvements such as the elimination of the gaps between files."

They must have said that before they realized that turning on motion detection created gaps.

Well I am returning my DVR-207GS. I bought it from estore009 and received it a few days ago. The battery came already discharged, it took over an hour to charge on USB. I am surprised no one has mentioned how dim the recording and charging LEDs are, it is impossible to see them during the day.

I formatted a class 10 Trancend disk using the proper tool mentioned on the forums here. The next morning I installed the DVR and plugged into my car. The welcome screen did come up, and it seemed to be working fine. I drove 15 minutes to the office and turn off the card, the units said goodbye and I thought everything was working great. However, at lunch I get into the car and it doesn't turn on automatically, so I press the power button and everything again seems normal. But 5 minutes down the road the unit says low battery and shuts down. What type of 12V device can't run without the battery? So I went back to the office where I happen to work with electronics and I measured the voltages.

The first thing I noticed is that the unit doesn't use the third terminal on the battery. Typically this terminal is wired to a thermal sensor in the battery. The battery isn't a name brand so who knows what the quality is like. The battery was indeed low, but again this thing can't run without a battery at all, who designs something like that. So I check the 12 charger, and it is putting out the specified 5.5 volts. I check my car, I am getting 13-volts. So I figure the battery just needs another full charge. But the second day was exactly the same, fine in the morning, useless by lunch. The same on the third day. I tried removing the battery while it is running, while it is off, resetting power, using a borrowed Sandisk brand class 10 card, everything mentioned on the forums.

What video it did record is okay, but had huge quantization issues

I just kept thinking the whole way home in heavy traffic how bad it would be to get into an accident and have the camera not even recording. I decided to order the more expensive DR500. It doesn't have the highly flammable lithium ion battery, but the software interface and phone app are what sold me.

zapwizard said:
Well I am returning my DVR-207GS. I bought it from estore009 and received it a few days ago. The battery came already discharged, it took over an hour to charge on USB. I am surprised no one has mentioned how dim the recording and charging LEDs are, it is impossible to see them during the day.

I formatted a class 10 Trancend disk using the proper tool mentioned on the forums here. The next morning I installed the DVR and plugged into my car. The welcome screen did come up, and it seemed to be working fine. I drove 15 minutes to the office and turn off the card, the units said goodbye and I thought everything was working great. However, at lunch I get into the car and it doesn't turn on automatically, so I press the power button and everything again seems normal. But 5 minutes down the road the unit says low battery and shuts down. What type of 12V device can't run without the battery? So I went back to the office where I happen to work with electronics and I measured the voltages.

The first thing I noticed is that the unit doesn't use the third terminal on the battery. Typically this terminal is wired to a thermal sensor in the battery. The battery isn't a name brand so who knows what the quality is like. The battery was indeed low, but again this thing can't run without a battery at all, who designs something like that. So I check the 12 charger, and it is putting out the specified 5.5 volts. I check my car, I am getting 13-volts. So I figure the battery just needs another full charge. But the second day was exactly the same, fine in the morning, useless by lunch. The same on the third day. I tried removing the battery while it is running, while it is off, resetting power, using a borrowed Sandisk brand class 10 card, everything mentioned on the forums.

What video it did record is okay, but had huge quantization issues

I just kept thinking the whole way home in heavy traffic how bad it would be to get into an accident and have the camera not even recording. I decided to order the more expensive DR500. It doesn't have the highly flammable lithium ion battery, but the software interface and phone app are what sold me.

Thanks for the review, if I'm not happy with my GS when it arrives, I might splurge for the DR500 as well. I also have an iPhone! It's the $300 price that's such a turn off. IDR500 is MUCh smaller and stealthier though!. Are you going to put on the hacked firmware? "WiFi is great but the low bitrate causes macroblocks in some recording. Hacked firmware with higher bitr ate solves this problem"
http://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr500gw-hd/

Hmmm you got me thinking. I'm gong to be very critical when my 207GS arrives next week'ish. I'm already having grand ideas of using this camera for when I give people tours of San Francisco going across the golden gate bridge etc. I'd rather have the full 1080P resolution for clarity. You can also make out license plates from further away as well then. I'm going to dive into the DR500 section. Thanks a lot you might have just cost me hundreds of extra dollars! :p I'm not throwing in the towel just yet though.

I guess we don't really "need" a screen. Can we even play back video directly on the 207GS? (or is it for live view and settings only?)
Again I need to see how this whole wifi iphone interface thing works. I can mirror my iPhone via lightening to my new Clarion HDMI stereo so that would be cool.

isometricbacon said:
Just bought this dashcam, had it for a day or so.

Unfortunately I seem to have the FM interference issue. There is alot of noise on the radio when plugged into the charger. EStore009 has told me that they'll send me a replacement charger, which i'm happy about.

This morning however on the way to work (second time using) the unit blacked out and would not begin again until I removed and replaced the battery. I've read this is possibly an issue with the SD card.

I'm running a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Class 10. I'm currently doing a full format of it to 64 bit sectors. I'm hoping this fixes my issues.

As an update - after the SD Card reformat the camera has worked flawlessly for the past couple of weeks.

I also am very happy with estore2009's service. When prompted with the FM interference issue, they sent me two replacement chargers. One was the same unit with a larger magnet ring, and another a different charger with a smaller magnet ring, and wanted to know whether it fixes the issue.

I only gave it a quick drive this afternoon, but didn't notice any interference with my GPS or radio with the new charger with the smaller ring. I plan to test it out over the next few weeks and see how it goes.

As an update to the above after a few days driving.

I seem to be getting next to no FM interference anymore with the new charger. However, it seems to be still reeking havoc with my GPS, which is constantly losing signal. (It didn't before).

This is annoying, but manageable, since I don't use the GPS very often.

My solution was to go into menu and turn off the g sensor.

Otherwise you will have to erase the SD card every once in a while before it gets full.

quote="Rdm303, post: 10589, member: 1076"]Have you noticed any problems with the unit? My DVR-207 will not loop and will shut off requiring a reboot after a while. I have tried Ramshackle's fix to no avail. I was going to have Vicky at Estore send me a DVR-027 instead because they are more proven, but I am wondering if the new DVR-207GS is any better quality.

Any thoughts?

Bob[/quote]

Back