Parking mode experience

How do things work there if you capture the license plate and video of someone hitting your car?
There were some reports on a local site dedicated to traffic videos (http://www.trafictube.ro) that policemen have watched the recordings and filled tickets accordingly. One was for an incident where the dashcam user was threaten by a taxi driver and the recording was used to identify him.
If there's an accident and one fails to report it to police in 24 hours than the punishment is 30 days of driving licence suspension.

I'm considering getting another Möbius wide angle and leaving it on all the time in motion detect mode. Ideally with a 128gb card for extra space.

In practice, I cannot see any video quality difference between the medium and high bitrate settings. But there's a big difference in file size. In loop record mode, I get about two hours of video on a 16GB card at high bitrate, & about three hours of video at medium bitrate. Plus the Mobius runs cooler at medium bitrate, or at least it feels cooler to the touch.

A 64GB card would be ok for about 12 hours of loop-recorded video at medium bitrate. In motion detect mode, somewhat more?

When parked at a supermarket, etc, I plug my 14,000mAh Anker E4 into the Mobius, & leave it loop-recording. Average Mobius draw is about 500mAh, so I've plenty for my needs.

Last edited:
In practice, I cannot see any video quality difference between the medium and high bitrate settings. But there's a big difference in file size. In loop record mode, I get about two hours of video on a 16GB card at high bitrate, & about three hours of video at medium bitrate. Plus the Mobius runs cooler at medium bitrate, or at least it feels cooler to the touch.

A 64GB card would be ok for about 12 hours of video at medium bitrate. In motion detect mode, somewhat more?

When parked at a supermarket, etc, I plug in my 14,000mAh Anker E4, & leave it loop-recording. Average Mobius draw is about 500mAh, so I've plenty for my needs.
Thanks Russ, I may have to try the medium bit rate if there is little difference. I get 3+ on high with a 32gb card and am happy with the resolution.

Forgive my electrical ignorance, does the battery need put out the required 1000mah? Is it different for a battery? I'm all sorts of confused :confused: on battery power

... does the battery need put out the required 1000mah? Is it different for a battery?

If you mean the Anker E4, it has 2 USB outlets, 1 rated at 1A, the other at 2A ... handy for simultaneously charging my iPad & MP3 player, etc. Mobius is happy with either outlet.

If you mean the Anker E4, it has 2 USB outlets, 1 rated at 1A, the other at 2A ... handy for simultaneously charging my iPad & MP3 player, etc. Mobius is happy with either outlet.
Sorry for being vague, does the battery need to output 1A for Motion Detect?

Sorry for being vague, does the battery need to output 1A for Motion Detect?

The camera's internal LiPo charging circuit needs a 1A supply to avoid a voltage drop during peak current draw, i.e. when writing data to the card. An external power supply needs to be 1A rated, whether Mobius is in loop-record or motion detect mode.

If using motion detect mode without external power, the LiPo should last 80 minutes or more before shutting down, depending on it's health.

Happy to be corrected about any errors in the above.

I first started with the High bit rate but now use Standard. No real difference except increased recording space. I also use a battery pack sometimes when in mall parking lots etc.

Thanks Guys, appreciate the help, that's really great info! I'm switching to Standard and will have the battery tested in case I need more than 80 mins.

I found a new reason for parking/motion detect mode. Someone in my wife's school has been drawing anatomy on the hood of her car while it's parked at school.

I explained motion detect to her and next week we shall see the little artist at work and so will the principal and his parents.

I found a new reason for parking/motion detect mode. Someone in my wife's school has been drawing anatomy on the hood of her car while it's parked at school.

I explained motion detect to her and next week we shall see the little artist at work and so will the principle and his parents.

Great use. Just be sure to hide the camera well. I hope its only marker or something removable that hasn't damaged the paint.

Great use. Just be sure to hide the camera well. I hope its only marker or something removable that hasn't damaged the paint.
Here people are much simpler, they don't even have a concept of what a dash cam is, especially as kids. Add in one very small discreet Mobius and they will never even see it. Even outside the car, people think it's a toy.

We live in a strange and wonderful climate. It's 75F/23C and Sunny all year long. It only rains from May until Oct and then only at night. They call this area the land of eternal spring. Now we're in the dry season and live near (2hours) a huge volcano, so we get a lot of dirt/dust. They use the dusted cars to draw on. If I could show you their interpretation of a body part you would laugh.

Here people are much simpler, they don't even have a concept of what a dash cam is, especially as kids. Add in one very small discreet Mobius and they will never even see it. Even outside the car, people think it's a toy.

We live in a strange and wonderful climate. It's 75F/23C and Sunny all year long. It only rains from May until Oct and then only at night. They call this area the land of eternal spring. Now we're in the dry season and live near (2hours) a huge volcano, so we get a lot of dirt/dust. They use the dusted cars to draw on. If I could show you their interpretation of a body part you would laugh.

Lol, from my recent experiences in highschool and currently working in one I can imagine what it looks like. I'm glad its only in dust however since I've seen some nasty things etched or sprayed onto hoods. As jokiin said wash the car sometime too. But not before we have videos of the kids that will be fun to watch if you decide to upload.

Lol, from my recent experiences in highschool and currently working in one I can imagine what it looks like. I'm glad its only in dust however since I've seen some nasty things etched or sprayed onto hoods. As jokiin said wash the car sometime too. But not before we have videos of the kids that will be fun to watch if you decide to upload.
I have to say one of the strangest things about living in this dry climate is dust. Dust your house, wash your black car, and one hour later it looks like you never touched it. Being a car guy, it drives me crazy:confused: Maybe @Gabolinche understands. I have grown to hate my black computer and lava dust hahaha

Then during the rainy season, it rains every night. Rains so hard you think you missed the memo about building an Ark. So those months a clean car is impossible. Besides I didn't buy a dashcam to have fun cleaning my car. However, it will be fun using it to catch this kid :p Oh and now my wife likes the dashcam, so win win!

Last edited:
I have to say one of the strangest things about living in this dry climate is dust. Dust your house, wash your black car, and one hour later it looks like you never touched it. Being a car guy, it drives me crazy:confused: Maybe @Gabolinche understands. I have grown to hate my black computer and lava dust hahaha

Then during the rainy season, it rains every night. Rains so hard you think you missed the memo about building an Ark. So those months a clean car is impossible. Besides I didn't buy a dashcam to have fun cleaning my car. However, it will be fun using it to catch this kid :p Oh and now my wife likes the dashcam, so win win!

Totally off topic, but if you wax your car it will stay cleaner longer especially with rain since the rain won't sit on the paint like it will with an unwaxed car. Detailing is a hobby of mine. But I understand its hard to do if you don't have a garage or enough time. I look forward to the videos if anything is ever discovered.

Agree with lamboboy732.. but it still won't stop it getting dirty completely, only delay it a bit. Does make it allot quicker to wash though as the dirt comes off a waxed car really easily. With rain coming down it's really depressing to spend a morning detailing your car and have it filthy again after 5 miles.

......snip... Someone in my wife's school has been drawing anatomy on the hood of her car while it's parked at school......snip....
What happened to GJHS's wife rang a bell in the dark, depraved area of what reminds inside my head.

I once shared an office w/ a male & female co-worker. We were friends & joked (& drank) together. At her desk, the female had photos & other items concerning her little boy. One of the objects was a picture of a standing Hippo drawn by the child in several colors that she proudly showed us the day before this incident.

She was expecting a visit from a VIP from another agency who we also knew & were friendly with. Only me & the other male were in the office when I took the boy's drawing & using the same colors, drew...I'll use GJHS's word....a large anatomy part....on a separate piece of paper, & lightly attached it over the drawing in it's ...er...proper anatomy location. Although it was very large, a person would really have to examine the drawing to see it since the colors matched perfectly.

Sitting at her desk & waiting for the VIP, she didn't notice my artistic enhancement. The visitor came in & for several minutes all 4 of us sat around & BS'ed.

I turned the conversation over to children, & said to her, "Why don't u show him that nice drawing u'r son made". She agreed & said to the visitor, "Here, look at what my son painted"

We watched his face turn red, as he stumbled out a few words along the lines of, "Well, it's certainly an interesting drawing" At that point me & the other guy were falling off r chairs from laughing. She for the first time, looked closely at the drawing & preceded to beat me to a pulp....but it was worth it....all of us laughed for years about that incident.

Back