Polarising filter for DOD 430/Nextbase 402

pewe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suffer a lot of dashboard reflection on my windscreen which shows up on videos and also affected camera focus.
So I bought one of these (a 27mm polarising filter)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260442482057and fitted it to the camera using double sided tape like this;

Cut 2 pieces of tape and stuck to front of camera
filter1.jpg

Removed backing
filter2.jpg

filter3.jpg

Stuck filter to tape
filter4.jpg

Here's a video showing the result - notice the little flower man reflecting in the screen and see what happens to him as I rotate the lens.

Now I don't have to tell the LOML to take her flower off the dash :eek:
And number plates aren't blurred by reflections on the screen creating focus issues :D

Last edited:
Nice easy job.
As I understand that CPL is not removable for night driving ?

Nice easy job.
As I understand that CPL is not removable for night driving ?

It can be removed as the tape is sticky - but not so sticky as the stop removal and re-attachment of the lens. However I guess over time the tape my need replacing. As I don't do much night driving that doesn't concern me.
If I can find a 30mm to 27mm step down ring then I could permanently attach that to the camera and then the filter could be removable.

It can be removed as the tape is sticky - but not so sticky as the stop removal and re-attachment of the lens. However I guess over time the tape my need replacing. As I don't do much night driving that doesn't concern me.
If I can find a 30mm to 27mm step down ring then I could permanently attach that to the camera and then the filter could be removable.

You may try to DIY using magnets for quick mount dismount.
On glass part of CPL filter attach circle thin metal using black double-sided tape, kinda washer. And on lens surrounding part glue 4 neodymium magnets.

You may try to DIY using magnets for quick mount dismount.
On glass part of CPL filter attach circle thin metal using black double-sided tape, kinda washer. And on lens surrounding part glue 4 neodymium magnets.

Now you mention magnets, I have some magnetic sticky tape somewhere. I'll try and find it and experiment.
In the meantime I'll also try and source some small magnets.

Now you mention magnets, I have some magnetic sticky tape somewhere. I'll try and find it and experiment.
In the meantime I'll also try and source some small magnets.

Neodymium magnets are my favourite toy for DIY dashcam brackets. But you may try them also on CPL filter.

I found them from inside gift-boxes closing cover. If you have few at home, you may check. If not, then can check Aliexpress for needed size

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...agnet&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20140621155208

I have now fitted a reducer ring to the camera.
I bought this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201105968080
It fits the camera lens cover and allows the 27mm filter to be screwed on and off at will.
Here it is seen attached by double sided tape, but I will glue it on permanently now it all works.

filter6.jpg

filter7.jpg

Does that affect the image the camera takes at all or is it still short enough so it doesn't affect the field of view?

It looks pretty awesome like that :)

Sorry - should have mentioned.
I filed off the 28mm thread to reduce the overall length of the step down ring to remove the vignetting on the corners.
It still needs a little but more off as there is still a bit of cropping in the top corners - will do that at the weekend ;)

filter8.jpg

Its very easy to remove and return the filter so i didn't need to use adpter ring.

תמונה 3.JPG
תמונה 5.JPG

I try to record facing to the sun, and the results are
very good.

לפני.jpg אחרי.jpg

Attachments

• תמונה 1.JPG
    תמונה 1.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 21
  • תמונה 2.JPG
    תמונה 2.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
That looks great - is that using the same CPL as Pewe please?

Hoping this will also fit the LS460W which is on it's way to me now (you can never have too many dash cams - Niko taught me that :) )

Yes this is the same one.
I pretty sure that it will fit the LS460W because that they look the same:
upload_2014-7-12_12-8-26.jpeg

Im waiting for your review on the LS460W.

Ah so that's the one you're having the issues with focus? Looks really good in that pic!

I'll order a 27mm filter now :)

Yes that the one with the focuse problem, its only on the right side of the camera, the left side focus is ok.
You can see my comparison between my GT680W and this LS430W her:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/issue-in-focus-and-sharpness-of-the-camera.6311/

Befor he replaced my old(two mounth old) LS430W into this one i didnt have problem with the focuse.
But you know, I noticed there are differences and then i try to compare the LS430W against the GT680W and i saw that im right.

The quality is good but not perfect and this is an expensive camera and i have 24 mounth warranty so why not use her?
And the seller suggested that i will wait to the LS460W and he will replace my camera without adding money.

Last edited by a moderator:
On paper the new one should be superior at night - I'll keep you updated :)

I've got the same filter on the way as you guys too!

Pity it wasn't a day like this for testing ;)

fin.JPG

Right then the AICO filter arrived and I've got in on the 460 - I'll give it a go today as it's pretty sunny out there and report back when I'm home tomorrow and can check the footage :)

it's pretty sunny out there :)

Nice for you - the weather turned cloudy here yesterday evening and now it's been overcast all day today - so far - but very warm and those blasted thunderflies are everywhere - my windscreen is covered in them - as is my head :eek:

I had to send my Nextbase back the other day - it was corrupting the last recording everytime.
I discovered that the battery was faulty and as soon as the ignition was turned off - it turned off the camera.
Awaiting a replacement now.

Back