Question about suction mounts

Mia

Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
Is there a proper/best way to put attach the suction mount to the windshield without it falling off when it’s hot? My windshield is clean and I wipe a little water in the cup to help, but it still keeps falling off.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

I have never had any successful windscreen suction mount for any device.

The extra problem for dashcams (and SatNavs) is that they could be severly damaged when they fall off.

Is there a proper/best way to put attach the suction mount to the windshield without it falling off when it’s hot? My windshield is clean and I wipe a little water in the cup to help, but it still keeps falling off.

Any suggestions would be awesome.
The quality of the mount will make a big difference.
ABS plastic will help manage the temperatures changes.
The suction cup can't be warped.
The amount of pull the lever applies is important.
A squeaky clean glass helps.
You don't need to wet the suction mount if the suction material is semi soft. Can't hurt though.

Make sure the cables don't add weight to the mount.
Try to hold the cables up so there's no load applied to the dash cam.

Still expect it to fall off the glass but it should take months.
Every now and then reseat the suction mount can help it remain stuck longer.

One last point make sure the cup has the biggest volume as you push it on.

Hope that explanation is helpful.

Last edited:
Why are you using suction cups anyway? The sticky tape my VIOFOs came with has never come off, even thru multiple hot summers. If you're worried about leaving residue behind when you have to eventually remove it, just know that something like Goof Off can clear off the glue from the glass 100%, easy peasy.

3M tape for me as well. Not sure about others but the Street Guardian has a mount which the camera can slide on and off.

I get ride of sticky residue with a window scraper like this:

Suction mounts introduce vibration and camera wobble.

As posted above, my A119's simply lift off the solid mount, single handed.

I have never had any "jello" problem on suction cup cameras, but then again i have not often used those, my "zoom" camera the Mobius maxi are on a suction cup mount, but it do come loose a few times a year.
I also have my phone dock on a suction cup mount, it come loose more often, mostly in hotter weather ( larger temperature fluctuations ), but most times when i have cleaned the glass and suction cup, and put it back on, it will stay there for a few months at least.

I tried a static sticker recently and it seemed to work well over the course of a week. I'm not sure how well they work long term.

I have never had any successful windscreen suction mount for any device.

The extra problem for dashcams (and SatNavs) is that they could be severly damaged when they fall off.
Yean, agree with you, that's really a question...

The quality of the mount will make a big difference.
ABS plastic will help manage the temperatures changes.
The suction cup can't be warped.
The amount of pull the lever applies is important.
A squeaky clean glass helps.
You don't need to wet the suction mount if the suction material is semi soft. Can't hurt though.

Make sure the cables don't add weight to the mount.
Try to hold the cables up so there's no load applied to the dash cam.

Still expect it to fall off the glass but it should take months.
Every now and then reseat the suction mount can help it remain stuck longer.

One last point make sure the cup has the biggest volume as you push it on.

Hope that explanation is helpful.
OK, thank you very much! That's reallt helpful to me.

Why are you using suction cups anyway? The sticky tape my VIOFOs came with has never come off, even thru multiple hot summers. If you're worried about leaving residue behind when you have to eventually remove it, just know that something like Goof Off can clear off the glue from the glass 100%, easy peasy.
OK, get it, thanks!

Hello Mia,
As @Kremmen said it’s possible suction mounts can introduce a slight amount of vibration to the recorded footage. Here’s a sample clip I filmed back in June 2020 when I learned suction mounts might not be the best choice for my application.
-Chuck

I tried a static sticker recently and it seemed to work well over the course of a week. I'm not sure how well they work long term.
Good for at least 5 years, beyond that will depend on how much UV and IR filtering there is in your windscreen glass. Although without decent UV filtering, the sticky pads will degrade as well over time.

Good for at least 5 years, beyond that will depend on how much UV and IR filtering there is in your windscreen glass. Although without decent UV filtering, the sticky pads will degrade as well over time.

I don't think I've ever kept a car that long!

I don't think I've ever kept a car that long!
But you want it in good condition when you sell your car after 3? years, not looking sunburnt and nearly falling off!

I bastardized my mount by removing the rubber part and associated levers, filled the depression (the plastic cup part) with hot glue to get a flat surface. then used 3M® double sided tape. Makes for a semi permanent mount.

I bastardized my mount by removing the rubber part and associated levers, filled the depression (the plastic cup part) with hot glue to get a flat surface. then used 3M® double sided tape. Makes for a semi permanent mount.
Did it improve any vibration issues?

Did it improve any vibration issues?
There are zero vibration issues, solid as a rock. My "suction cup" modification were to support my Garmin GPS, My Blackvue dash cam mounts with tape I don't believe they have a suction cup option.

Looking at a 5" or 6" SatNav screen secured with a suction cup is OK as minor vibration isn't noticed.

Looking at dashcam footage on a PC screen, in my experience is a whole new ball game and vibration is amplified.

Looking at a 5" or 6" SatNav screen secured with a suction cup is OK as minor vibration isn't noticed.

Looking at dashcam footage on a PC screen, in my experience is a whole new ball game and vibration is amplified.
True.. but my method replaced the rubber bit with two sided tape.. any vibration after that is due to the plastic connections yielding.. which vary by manufacturers.

Back