recommended dash cam for reading license plates

We do have 5G in some locations but it is still pretty spotty around here.
BTW, I have a 5G capable phone and in all likelihood I will have 5G service at my house long before I see fiber internet. As I mentioned I have line of sight out to the cell towers out in the100 mile view off my deck and I can get pretty affordable unlimited 5G cell service and if that happens I will be in much better connectivity shape out here.

Always difficult to find old threads, especially on this site!

Okay, so I looked into the 3 examples you mentioned and none of the post you cited fit my criteria.
I did not see anything about someone asking about dashcam with cloud features because they are worried that cops will steal the evidence.
I did not see anything about someone asking about dashcam with cloud features because they are worried about getting shot on USA roads and gunmen stealing the evidence.
While I suspect you are correct, there have been quite a few people asking about dashcams with cloud features because they are worried that their cops will steal the evidence. There also seem to be a few worried about getting shot on USA roads and the gunmen stealing the evidence, again, not an issue nearly everywhere else, and I doubt that it is a real issue in USA, but for some it clearly is.
1.) Nothing about cops, or getting shot on USA roads.
2.) Nothing about asking for a dashcam with cloud features. Nothing about cops, or getting shot on USA roads.
3.) Nothing about asking for a dashcam with cloud features (the individual was asking about a remote dashcam which is the SG9663DR). Nothing about getting shot on USA roads.

Yeah, a Wifi/Mobile Data system makes sense.

You mention that you upload smartphone photos and video when you get home at night and that makes sense too but there is a difference between some smartphone videos and photos and what could be potentially be hundreds of gigabytes of dash cam video, which could be a problem for some.

I think what you propose is more viable for some and thanr others. So, I'm very envious of your Verizon FiOS. You have no idea! It's a long story but up here on my little mountain the very fastest internet service available to me is 3 Megabit DSL!. It really sucks! I could get high speed cable two houses down the road which is about a half a mile away. Basically, despite promises made to get their foot in the door here in Vermont the major internet providers in the area won't spend the money to bring in the connections because they claim the housing density is too low. This is a statewide problem for many out in the countryside. So, many small towns like mine are banding together into what are called CUDS (Communications Union Districts) and by combining resources we will be building and operating our own fiber networks. The recent good news has been the Biden administration's infrastructure bill is providing major funding for projects like this and this will make the whole thing come together better and sooner. Eventually, we will get high speed fiber but it is still maybe two or three years away from coming to fruition; possibly less with the new funding.
I don't manually do it, but yes...Point taken, I know not everyone has fast broadband or 5G access. My phone does it because there is a setting in Google Photos that says "Backup videos over data" which is toggled off meaning it will only sync over WiFi.
Similar to how any Google or Samsung smartphone checks for updates at 2am/3am or whatever time in the middle of the night and downloads them, or how WhatsApp does backups around the same time too.
I could actually change it to upload over mobile data since I have T-Mobile Magenta Max unlimited everything, but I just never bothered because I'm too lazy to click the button...or maybe I want my phone battery to last longer by doing that over WiFi when I get home instead of syncing a picture or video 5 seconds after taking it over 5G LTE when I'm out and about. Don't really see a need for instant gratification.

Wow...That is pretty terrible. I recommend that you check if T-Mobile broadband is available to you!

• $30/month if you already have a Magenta Max cellphone line. If you don't have a Magenta Max cellphone plan, it costs $50/month. There's no annual service contract and no hidden fees
  • T-Mobile 5G Home Internet customers see typical download speeds between 33-182 Mbps
  • Typical upload speeds are between 6 Mbps and 23 Mbps
  • There are no data caps on 5G Home Internet service

• $30/month if you already have a Magenta Max cellphone line. If you don't have a Magenta Max cellphone plan, it costs $50/month. There's no annual service contract and no hidden fees
  • T-Mobile 5G Home Internet customers see typical download speeds between 33-182 Mbps
  • Typical upload speeds are between 6 Mbps and 23 Mbps
  • There are no data caps on 5G Home Internet service

I totally hate you now! :smuggrin:

Did you check if T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is available to you in your area?

Did you check if T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is available to you in your area?

It is not. As I explained a few weeks ago:

5G would make video transfer a whole lot easier and faster. We do have 5G in some locations but it is still pretty spotty around here, especially out in the boonies where I live.

T-Mobile is very spotty out where I live even for 4G and they don't even claim to offer service at my location although I do get some signal because I'm on a mountain. I do get excellent 4G LTE coverage from Verizon and AT&T but they are still rolling out 5G service out in rural areas like where I live. It is available in our more urban population centers but not yet out where I reside. T-Mobile service, including 5G is available in town, ten miles from where I live but not out here in the "wilderness".

Back