SanDisk Ultra 200GB works in the SG9665GC with in camera formatting

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I'd not had chance to get around this but the SanDisk Ultra 200GB card seems to work great in the SG9665GC and just needs to be formatted in camera.

I'll do more testing over the next couple of weeks - odds are the card is a standard TLC card which means more limited write cycles compared to MLC and SLC, but due to the huge size it balances things out (ie if it lasts 1000 write cycles that is almost 3 years of constant use in a dashcam).

The Sandisk Ultra 200GB card isn't the fastest card for sequential writes at around 15MB/sec so 120 Megabits per second which is way more than any dashcams around today produce. The real test will come when the camera begins to loop as data has to be deleted before the next file can be created and that is what causes a lot of dashcams to trip up with slower cards.

No worries mate, the h2testw took an age on this card!

upload_2015-11-30_16-38-35.png

Well after a stack of driving it's finally looping - and looping absolutely fine at that :)

I still don't trust them.

Three months in with a lot of driving and it's still working - I might as well update this every few months :)

The heat is probably one of the issues in Australia mate

Last edited:
The heat is probably one of the issues in Australia mate
bloody oath, nearly 39 degrees up here the other day, less than a degree away from breaking the 1969 record for temperature. not as bad as Adelaide though that an get up to low 40's for a week or two straight. that's Celsius, not farenheight.

Last edited:
I'm sat in my shorts and tshirt now and it's actually 0 degrees looking at my weather app - there's no way I could cope with the weather you have out there. I tried it once in Las Vegas and I just had to drink loads of beer, it was awful (honest ;) )

I'm sat in my shorts and tshirt now and it's actually 0 degrees looking at my weather app - there's no way I could cope with the weather you have out there. I tried it once in Las Vegas and I just had to drink loads of beer, it was awful (honest ;) )
one word "air-conditioning" cant live up here without it.
tip: beer dehydrates you, makes you wanna drink ,more, water is the go, I go through about 6-10L up here a day.

oh crap, go test some cams for heat stress.

hasn't hit that temp yet, later in the day maybe, we've had worse, 2 years ago we had 47°c in Sydney for a couple of days running

hasn't hit that temp yet, later in the day maybe, we've had worse, 2 years ago we had 47°c in Sydney for a couple of days running
Yeah, that's getting a bit warm. ;)

Good news, the new June 2016 firmware we are testing now has a new feature:

"Change 'Card Error' message to 'Format' Card when memory card is non-FAT32 format."

This means no more dancing around error messages to do the first format in larger factory fresh ExFAT cards. It should be made available for public testing soon.

that was working in the last beta also, I just reworded the text to make it clearer, what happens if you put a card in that is exFAT it will show the Format Card message then take you straight to the format menu, you have the option to format and you're good to go, or cancel in case it was an error and you just put the wrong card in

Beta Firmware V16 "Change 'Card Error' message to 'Format' Card when memory card is non-FAT32 format"

Here is what the auto format prompting looks like now. (no more random button pressing needed!)

62b288565f4492a4240745a5f1fec8b2.jpg

ccf75f77d4394c976bc6f2870cbac81c.jpg

9ce1cdc9aafc14865c5fc3c906363074.jpg

Back