Starter front cam with the option to add a rear camera, recommendations?

Jaybird

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I've come to the conclusion that I, unfortunately, feel uncomfortable hard wiring a camera for parking mode (which I really want). With that being said, I would like to start with a front cam which has the option of adding an additional rear cam, later on down the road (pun intended).

I am looking for the following:

Plugs into 12v
Has the option of adding a rear cam (how do rear cams typically connect to front cams?)
High definition, something that is top of the line HD in day/night/inclement weather
Some sort of screen that I can look at to ensure it is on and recording, but nothing so big it is distracting
Something as small and discrete as possible and blends in. No flashy lights.
Must be continuous recording with over writing capabilities, but saves footage when bumped, hit, or jolted.
GPS and speed isnt too much of a concern, but I wont shy away from it.

Can anyone give a reason why GPS and speed is necessary? I see a lot of talk, but feel as though the speed capturing could get you (the dash cammer) in trouble. Thoughts on this?

Oh, and price range is $150-$300 (just for the front cam), but will spend more if the quality/specs are worth it.

EDIT: Also, I would prefer a wide angle, I'm thinking 180 degrees

Last edited:
A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Seems to fit the bill.. what do you all think? Could I do better for a bit more money?

Can this be hooked up to a second camera, for the rear?

It's standalone, can't connect another camera to it

Hmm.. I suppose I can use a Y-splitter 12v adapter.

I've been reading some threads on this camera and it seems to be perfect and at a VERY affordable price. I may just snag two (front and rear) from FoxOffer.

Unless there are other recommendations that are superior to this camera?

If they are cheap they are cheap

Are you implying this camera is cheap in quality?

Any recommendations on a camera that fits what I'm looking for?

EDIT: Delving farther into the A118 Novatek thread, it seems as though there are issues with the camera. So, I am still open to recommendations.

I would be willing to forgo the screen, assuming there is a light or something to tell me its on.

Last edited:
Reading your requirements again you want full time parking mode right? Whereabouts are you in the USA? At the moment the Panorama range have one of the best parking modes - if you're not bothered about the GPS etc maybe a Panorama S may be worth a look and as it's capacitor based there are no worries about heat when parked. You'd just need to add on a BDP to use with it. @Pier28 sells them both from San Francisco.

I tried the A118 parking detection when we went to a busy hotel - it was mental how much it missed - literally 10 cars parked in front of us while it was sat monitoring and it only noticed one!

Reading your requirements again you want full time parking mode right? Whereabouts are you in the USA? At the moment the Panorama range have one of the best parking modes - if you're not bothered about the GPS etc maybe a Panorama S may be worth a look and as it's capacitor based there are no worries about heat when parked. You'd just need to add on a BDP to use with it. @Pier28 sells them both from San Francisco.

I tried the A118 parking detection when we went to a busy hotel - it was mental how much it missed - literally 10 cars parked in front of us while it was sat monitoring and it only noticed one!

Parking mode is something I would love to have and have heard great things about the Panorama X2. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable hard wiring anything into my new car. Therefore, I will not utilize the parking mode.

Im pretty much looking for crystal clear HD day/night/incelement weather, a cam that is somewhat covert and not easily seen, plugs into 12v and has the option of supporting a second camera (for the rear).

Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable hard wiring anything into my new car. Therefore, I will not utilize the parking mode.

Im pretty much looking for crystal clear HD day/night/incelement weather, a cam that is somewhat covert and not easily seen, plugs into 12v and has the option of supporting a second camera (for the rear).
The Mini 0806 has a "parking guard" that operates using the camera battery - it wakes up on the G-Sensor detecting movement and records for a few seconds, not as good as continuous recording or buffered recording as it only starts after the impact but it will operate without needing to be hardwired and it is "crystal clear HD day/night/incelement weather, a cam that is somewhat covert and not easily seen, plugs into 12v" and you can have one in the front and one in the back, although they will record onto separate cards.

The Mini 0806 has a "parking guard" that operates using the camera battery - it wakes up on the G-Sensor detecting movement and records for a few seconds, not as good as continuous recording or buffered recording as it only starts after the impact but it will operate without needing to be hardwired and it is "crystal clear HD day/night/incelement weather, a cam that is somewhat covert and not easily seen, plugs into 12v" and you can have one in the front and one in the back, although they will record onto separate cards.

Funny you mention this as I was just checking out the Mini 0803. Can the rear 0806 plug into the 0803, or will they utilize seperate 12v sockets (or y-plug)? I will look into the 0806, thank you!

Funny you mention this as I was just checking out the Mini 0803. Can the rear 0806 plug into the 0803, or will they utilize seperate 12v sockets (or y-plug)? I will look into the 0806, thank you!
They are separate cameras but can share a power supply as long as you have suitable cabling/connectors/adaptors. They take about 0.5 amps each so a normal lighter socket to USB adaptor is capable of powering two.

The 0803 doesn't have the parking guard, it can do motion detection but for that it has to be powered continuously. The 0806 doesn't need external power for the shock detection to work.

They are separate cameras but can share a power supply as long as you have suitable cabling/connectors/adaptors. They take about 0.5 amps each so a normal lighter socket to USB adaptor is capable of powering two.

The 0803 doesn't have the parking guard, it can do motion detection but for that it has to be powered continuously. The 0806 doesn't need external power for the shock detection to work.

Excellent, so a 12v adapter with 2 USB ports - I've got one of those. I'm liking the 0806 (from the material I've been finding on this site). Looks like it isn't released yet, any news on a release date? Any vendors on this site who can message me? Thanks in advance!

Excellent, so a 12v adapter with 2 USB ports - I've got one of those. I'm liking the 0806 (from the material I've been finding on this site). Looks like it isn't released yet, any news on a release date? Any vendors on this site who can message me? Thanks in advance!
The better quality twin USB port adaptors will work fine, not sure all the cheap ones are capable of 1A although a twin one should be. Release date is discussed on one of the 0806 threads - see the 0806 section but supposedly before Xmas in limited numbers... maybe!

Excellent, so a 12v adapter with 2 USB ports - I've got one of those.
The better quality twin USB port adaptors will work fine, not sure all the cheap ones are capable of 1A although a twin one should be.
I have been using an Anker 24W Dual-Port and it seems to work well.
Amazon ASIN: B00DDLYCUW

I really like the idea of parking guard. If I go with the mini line, waiting for the 0806 is my best option.

However, I am open to other recommendations.

Back