Viofo App (v2.3) crash after 1.6fw update - iOS 15.3.1

jfiglv

Reaction score
Country
United States
(I searched this forum and other sources and couldn't find any similar issues)
Hello. I updated my a139 to the current firmware version (1.6). The firmware update appears to have been successful and the camera starts up and the audio notifications say it is recording. I enable the wireless on the camera and connect to it using the wireless settings on the phone. When I open the Viofo app and try to connect to it the app will immediately crash. I have tried restarting the camera, restarting my phone, uninstalling/reinstalling the Viofo app. Nothing seems to work. Is there something else I can try or is there any update I need to apply? I couldn't find a link to any legacy firmware to downgrade to.

(I tried submitting a help ticket on their site, but the captcha never works)

iOS app version: 2.3
Phone: iPhone 13 Pro max
iOS version: 15.3.1

My iphone is now showing an update to version 2.4 as being available, I wonder if @viofo or @VIOFO-Support can advise what things have been fixed in the new version.

The new 2.4 version is compatible with the latest T130 and A139 updates, and partly compatible with coming released new products.

Thank you. I didn’t have the 2.4 version available in my App Store when I was having the problem. It does show up now, but I’m hesitant to upgrade again. Going back to fw1.5 fixed me. Thank you everyone that replied.

Last edited:
I have the 2.4 version of the Viofo app and after updating to 1.6 firmware, my app keeps crashing everytime I try to connect to the dashcam. Can someone from @VIOFO-Support come out with a fix? I had to revert back to 1.5 firmware, but even that version got issues with date and time keep jumping ahead by a day.

Same here. Upgrading to V1.6 2022_0106 crashes the app when more than one channel is connected to the main unit.

Could you please try to downgrade to the previous firmware?
here is V1.5 you shall try.
we are sorting this issue now,

Could you please try to downgrade to the previous firmware?
here is V1.5 you shall try.
we are sorting this issue now,
we have V1.7. the latest one for A139.
Please try this one instead,

we have V1.7. the latest one for A139.
Please try this one instead,
After upgrading to v1.7 I get a bunch of small parking recordings (45 sec long) even though I have a loop recording set to 3 mins and parking mode to event detection. Also I'm 100% sure there is no movement happening before or after and there are no lights, shadows etc. triggering that as my car is parked in the underground garage. All settings are literally set in the same way as v1.6 but only with v1.7 such behaviour happens.
I suspect re-introduction of the buffering parking mode that you somehow messed up.

Can you tell which build number the latest 1.7 has?
I would really wish there would be some day the version and the build number would be included in the file name ;-)

Can you tell which build number the latest 1.7 has?
I would really wish there would be some day the version and the build number would be included in the file name ;-)
v1.7_0218
It's true, it's impossible to understand anything in their firmware. I already made a request to Viofo to give understandable names to the firmware, no response. They give names as they want, perhaps by the release date, or maybe by some mysterious algorithm.

Last edited:
v1.7_0218
It's true, it's impossible to understand anything in their firmware. I already made a request to Viofo to give understandable names to the firmware, no response. They give names as they want, perhaps by the release date, or maybe by some mysterious algorithm.
thank you. i had an older 1.7 build... even with a hex editor i could not say if this would be now an update or not...
Even i had to give back my NextBase 622GW under warranty (serious issues) it had a good update process (even automatic over the app). Viofo could improve here a lot. Even the settings are always resetted after updates...
Beside that the camera is stable and i hope for some improvements here. I hope especially for some improvements in parking mode event recording/geofencing...

I noticed in the latest Viofo app (iPhone V2.4) it looks like they've removed the Geofencing options. I wonder if that means they've discarded the idea entirely...

I noticed in the latest Viofo app (iPhone V2.4) it looks like they've removed the Geofencing options. I wonder if that means they've discarded the idea entirely...
i asked the same question already in another thread but didn‘t got a real answer yet
it seems they didn‘t even know they implemented that already for a139 :rolleyes:

This brings back old memories of my time with Viofo. Back then, it seemed like everything was in "beta mode". One never knew if a firmware upgrade was really an upgrade.

And it was always very, very difficult getting answers from Viofo. For me, saving a little money was not worth the ongoing problems... I chose to spend more in order to get good customer support.

Good luck in getting your problems resolved!

after i had a few hit and run while parking its the highest priority on a dash cam for me. so i choosed viofo based on the test here and based on the fact that the A139 should have geofencing (i don‘t needed 3 channels).
In general the A139 is still pretty good compared to the other cameras. Nextbase has a really good App Support but some other serious flaws as well. They use e.g. in their top model normal batteries which are just covered 6 months by warranty, are not replaceable and will be broken after 6 months. Their wifi connection was extremely slow until the 622GW and unusable even for playback…
Out of the box the Viofo makes a better job i think. But the firmware upgrade process and app should be definitely improved.

If you have parking mode on a Viofo Dashcam, you have to visually get to it when you go out to your car and/or review your video which is a real pain. And it there was impact on the far side quarter panel of your car, you may not notice it for a week! -

Some dashcams will alert you immediately (via your phone) about any impact to your car while parked. You can view that footage remotely right after it occurred, plus you can view who or what is around your car right after the impact, remotely.

That, coupled with the "roulette-wheel firmware" of Viofo, caused me to seek out an alternate dashcam manufacturer.

This brings back old memories of my time with Viofo. Back then, it seemed like everything was in "beta mode". One never knew if a firmware upgrade was really an upgrade.

And it was always very, very difficult getting answers from Viofo. For me, saving a little money was not worth the ongoing problems... I chose to spend more in order to get good customer support.

Good luck in getting your problems resolved!
Yes, I feel the same way about the odd firmware updates and functions being in "beta" testing without seeming to go anywhere as appears to be the case with geofencing.

Seems very strange that the latest firmware release (V1.6 2022_0106) states "6. Add Parking Geo-fencing feature (Beta version, still under testing)" while at the same time geofencing was removed from the latest Viofo app (iPhone 2.4). Almost seems as if a number of people are working on the firmware and the app but they don't talk to each other much.

Back