What should I buy?

OregonTrail

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am overwhelmed by all the hi-tech info out there. Can someone with expertise help an older female make a good choice?
I want a camera that records all the time.
Front, back and side cameras
Good quality, daylight or dark, including clear license plates
High capacity memory card
Am I missing anything?
Cost under $1,000
Also, what should I expect to pay for installation?

Thank you Panzer Platform! I will see what I can learn from the references you provided!

All dashcams record as soon as you start the car, if you also want that to happen when you are parked that is also possible by turning on parking guard. ( hard wire kit needed to enable parking guard )

But there are still some issues to be mindful of, first and foremost power use while parked, and the fact you need to drive some too every day to charge up what you lost while parked.
Also the modes systems do parking guard in are hit and miss, at the bottom is motion detect, this is always too sensitive, so parked at a place with stuff going on, and the system will pretty much record all the time.
So do the always record in low bitrate do, but not all systems have this mode, it is what i use, but mind you only for 3 hours on a timer in the system, i am not entirely sure this will be good for really long durations.
A big + is you can have the G-sensor on too while doing low bitrate, so any actual events / your car getting hit should prompt the camera to lock that file in the event / read only folder.

For sure you want a big memory card, 256 GB at the least, 512 GB are also a option with many brands today.
Low bitrate mean much smaller files and so room for more, also in the daytime with sun, well doing low bitrate mean the camera do not generate as much heat on its own, but electronics only go so far with temperature, when the max is hit they will shut down to preserve them self.
Heat endurance is also a question, depending on where you live, as you know a car get uncomfortable hot in summer sitting in the sun. So that will be a limiting factor on those days.

There are not really any side cameras in dashcams, but some of us have adopted to have that, this be filming strait out the side of the car not down the side of it like you will see Tesla cars do.
Strait out the side is also fine, it will catch just about anything approaching your car.

This was my setup when my side camera system still worked.

In my cars the side camera was another brand than the F&R system, so they boot at different speeds so the footage are not in sync.
Some will use 2 similar dual channel systems, and then put the main units on the front and rear glass and the little remote cameras on the side, that way the systems should boot in the same speed and so be in sync
As for the side cameras, well you cant put them on windows that can go up and down, so in my case p put my side cameras on the small fixed glass on my rear doors.
A issues here could be meddling child fingers, but if thats not a issue you can get a bit more creative with the install, but you probably need to get creative CUZ as i said not really any side camera systems that is dedicated for that.

Thank you so much Kankar! I will read everything you suggested.

To me it seem like the cloud based cameras, these also being the very most expensive ones, are the ones that often do parking guard best.
The downside to those then is often they get beaten on image quality by cheaper not cloud enabled systems.

Vortex radar in here and on youtube he got bucket loads of experience with the cloud enabled systems ( Blackvue and Thinkware )

BTW when my side system worked i did not run parking guard on all 4 cameras, i feel front & rear is fine, also at home i have CCTV on my little car parked in the back yard, a place that at least in the dark half of the year are pitch black so a dasahcam in parking guard will be of no use, CUZ you of course do need some light to see / video record something.
My CCTV camera have optical zoom and IR light, and i film at a downward angle from my 2 floor balcony door, so the AI motion detect also work fine ( only register human or vehicle shapes near my car, and Due to optical zoom that's 3 feet or so on either side of the car and behind it )
Get CCTV camera notifications on my phone and bedside table tablet.

If you have a house, and around there is what worry you, you should give CCTV cameras consideration, but out on the town, well here parking guard are fine.
Most systems if say you park in your garage, well you can long press the power button when stopped, that will turn the parking guard off for that one session, on next start you will be back to normal no interactions needed.
No need to run parking guard inside a closed garage.

Last edited:
Back