WHICH IS BETTER

Rosie 61

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm wanting to purchase a front and rear camera, I think I've narrowed my search down to these 3
Blackvue
Thinkware
Viofo
I think all 3 have 4k front and 2k rear ( correct me if wrong ).
What I've seen in Blackvue is around 800, where as viofo is around 300+.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks...
I've seen alot of cams that give you the tip of the bonnet on a car, I'm not fussed on the,,how can I say this, guess the round image you see from the cam, sorry all new to me.. Hoping I made some sense..

Last edited:
Hi, I'm wanting to purchase a front and rear camera, I think I've narrowed my search down to these 3
Blackvue
Thinkware
Viofo
I think all 3 have 4k front and 2k rear ( correct me if wrong ).
What I've seen in Blackvue is around 800, where as viofo is around 300+.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks...
Hi Rosie welcome to the forum.

I only have experience with Viofo products but there are others on here who will be able to help you with other brands.
Viofo does have a 4K dashcam but the rear is 1080.
Viofo has just or is about to release some new models of dashcams that look great on paper but I haven't experienced them first hand. The A229 (Dual front and back both 2K) and the A119 Mini (Front only 2K)
I have in my car a Viofo A129 Duo. This is a dual-camera model. They stick to the windscreen and rear window with very strong adhesive tape. Very discrete design.
The model has been around for a while with a resolution of 1080 front and back.
I have found it reliable and use the supplied cigarette lighter adapter to power it.

I'll leave it there as others will chip in with their views and experiences.

Cheers.
Damian.

Welcome to the forum Rosie.

I dont think any 4K camera have 1440p in the rear, at least it is my understanding they are normally 1080p in the rear.
¨There are however dual 1440p cameras to be had these days.

Blackvue and the Thinkware cameras, at least their higher end offerings, are the kings in the smarts department, but if you are not going to use that much, then they are pretty expensive for just a camera recording while you go for a drive.

Regarding aiming the cameras, today it is best if you have a 50/50 split of earth and sky at the horizon, this most often mean with the wide angle lenses in use you will even have some dashboard in the picture or at least the bottom of the windscreen / vents there.
I know not much happen on the hood of your car, but it is a matter of how the cameras are tuned for light metering.
Okay today with more dynamis sensors used it is not that much of a problem, you have to be more careful in the old days ( 10 years ago )

Thinkware U1000 is 4K front, 2K rear.
That doesn't mean that it's automatically better image quality wise though. Far from it.

O it is .:unsure:
I dont really keep up with these "smart"! systems as i will never be able to afford one, and much of what they can do i am far from sure i would take advantage of.
I have found a way ( kickstarter ) to be able to sample something like that, but i will not see that system before next month if all things pan out, but that is 4K both front and rear camera, though in essences just 2 single cameras working in Sync.

Anyway 4K at least in the daytime are nice, and would allow for a small digital zoom looking for little things, the other hand at night they are not as good as the best performers there as they are not as light sensitive, but then again even the best low light cameras will still miss little detail too in low light,,,,,, you will be wise to not have too big expectations in that regard.
Larger things like your own driving in relation to road side / lane markings and color of traffic lights, those any camera will do just fine, and it should also often be enough to fend off outrageous claims.
I am looking forward to trying 4K / IMX 415 sensor cameras, even if they are not the very best all around systems, it will do all i ask just fine, so i will be down to the basics of the camera just doing what it should and all the functions of it actually working.
And i will get a SIM card for that camera, but if i cancel it after a few months i would not be surprised, but then i can at least claim that i tried to embrace smarts in dashcam.

If Rosie just want a camera for potential accident recording, and liability issues, a 1080p camera will be fine, even that will be fine in most cases.

Back