Which one to get? Any thoughts? ?

ddtstartrex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking to buy my first dash cam i am a trucker so i need something that has good day / night / GPS / and good suction cup to handle the rough ride

I thought gps might be good, i heard people talk about it, why you do not think gps on a dash cam is a good thing dash riposki?

russ331, thanks for the link, but they do not come with a suction cup? I am not in the same truck all the time.

I was looking at these two

DOD LS460W

BlackVue DR650GW-1CH

BlackVue DR3500-FHD

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the SGZC12SG was supplied with a suction cup, however, it's an optional extra.

SGZC12SG comes from factory with very strong suction cup mount. One of the strongest I ever experienced.

I'm a trucker, also.
I'm not sure what you are expecting from a dashcam with a GPS?

My preference is for dash cams that use a standard tripod mount, which there are many. Much easier to move from truck to truck, re-position in the truck, and there are many aftermarket mounts that are inexpensive and work well.

The GPS on most dashcams only will show a speed on the screen, which you won't be able to read in a big truck, and imprints speed and location data on the save file. You'll need special software to see this data. (this is my understanding of the GPS stuff, and I have one cam with GPS)
Since it sounds like you 'slip seat', I'd avoid a camera with a proprietary, usually plastic, mount. Meaning some sort of plastic mounting plate you slide the cam on, and then there may be a ball and socket adjustable thing, and a suction cup.
Go for one with the standard 1/4 x 20 tripod mount.

I'd suggest you look at a mobius, but if it freaks you out or seems over your head, maybe a more traditional camera with a screen will work.

You could also check out the new Garmin and Lenovo Gearbest is pushing. No, they're not made by Garmin or Lenovo, but that form factor is probably a good start for a decent first camera, that is somewhat easy to use, and move around.

if you are a trucker, I would recommend you to purchase the LK-7900. It comes sony len with g sensor and motion detector, which will record and save the data automatically after there is any impact during the time of driving and parking. You won't need to worry about losing any important data because it will saved separately in the sd card, which means the daily driving videos and the impact data is separated (8GB). It provide low voltage cut out, which you don't have to worry about the electricity in your vehicle. Also you can add one more CPL filter in order to make the video more clear by reducing the sunlight reflection. It's operating temperature is from -20℃ to 70 which the Lukas cams can solve the important problem of overheat comparing with the other brand in the market cannot It will be a smaller cam. Simply you can take out the sd card then insert into any computer and watch it. one more important spec is the GPS, if you would like to track your own history of travelling.
However. I would recommend you to purchase one more battery pack(LK290) because it cannot support the parking mode while your engine is stopping, only the Lukas two channels can do that without an extra battery pack.

The night recording is good as well like the other 2 channel dash cam in Lukas. As you can check our youtube channel for the quality in night time. just search it with my username.

Is it me or most of the replies are from people that own there own store or trying to sell you the brand they are selling i am looking for a non - partisan reply

I was going to say something, but glad you caught on.

:)

Don't buy the cams you may see at some of the big chain truck stops.
Some are 'ok', but overpriced, others 'not ok', and still overpriced.

You'll get a variety of info on this site that ranges from 'too technical/too gadget fiend oriented', to outright spam.

Once you get even a basic dash cam up and running in your situation, you may get a better understanding of what works for you, and what you want.

By the way, PM me and I'll send you a link to where you can buy a combination dashcam/CB/ radar detector that also is a bluetooth MP3 player, and coffee thermos. (Shipped from Malaysia by carrier pigeon, only $39.99 loonies).

(This was a joke. Such a fine unit would cost more...)

Do you have a laptop or android phone with you in the truck?

You mentioned you change trucks, some day cab drivers don't carry a laptop.

I always have a laptop. If I need to save files, I stop in a safe place, and download them, not really counting on any 'lock' or 'save' feature of the dash cam..

Last edited:
I was going to say something, but glad you caught on.

Don't buy the cams you may see at some of the big chain truck stops.
Some are 'ok', but overpriced, others 'not ok', and still overpriced.

You'll get a variety of info on this site that ranges from 'too technical/too gadget fiend oriented', to outright spam.

Once you get even a basic dash cam up and running in your situation, you may get a better understanding of what works for you, and what you want.

By the way, PM me and I'll send you a link to where you can buy a combination dashcam/CB/ radar detector that also is a bluetooth MP3 player, and coffee thermos. (Shipped from Malaysia by carrier pigeon, only $39.99 loonies).

(This was a joke. Such a fine unit would cost more...)

Do you have a laptop or android phone with you in the truck?

You mentioned you change trucks, some day cab drivers don't carry a laptop.

I always have a laptop. If I need to save files, I stop in a safe place, and download them, not really counting on any 'lock' or 'save' feature of the dash cam..
Hi thanks for the reply yup i caught on lol now that one for 39.99 oh ya lol the main thing i worry about is the suction cup with the rough ride and perfect replay day and night

The video sucks, but it keeps your coffee hot, and they have asian models with big ( . ) ( . )'s in the advertisements, so it has to be good!

The suction cups are not a big problem. Most have a locking/tension lever.
Clean the area you want to mount it in with window cleaner, leave the glass surface dry. I then put a short spray on the actual suction cup, just to dampen it better, then put the suction cup on the windshield.
They'll usually stay on for weeks. If they drop off it's usually after weeks, and there is a temperature change, like you park the truck in bright sun.

As long as you get one of the more solid dash cams, don't worry about damaging the cam if it falls off.

Last edited:
The video sucks, but it keeps your coffee hot, and they have asian models with big ( . ) ( . )'s in the advertisements, so it has to be good!

The suction cups are not a big problem. Most have a locking/tension lever.
Clean the area you want to mount it in with window cleaner, leave the glass surface dry. I then put a short spray on the actual suction cup, just to dampen it better, then put the suction cup on the windshield.
They'll usually stay on for weeks. If they drop off it's usually after weeks, and there is a temperature change, like you park the truck in bright sun.

As long as you get one of the more solid dash cams, don't worry about damaging the cam if it falls off.

What are your thoughts on some on them?

Lukas is a high end korean ( south ) make, my first dashcam was a LK-7500 and its still so good i had no issues about putting it in my little sisters car when i upgraded.
Street guardian allso provide high end cameras, and they seem to be over the top with customer care and support ( can be a big problem even with some other big brands )
The mobius some one mention is allso a decent camera, they seem to be quite durable, and for shear small size it as good as it get.
They are based on aging hardware, but its still good footage they provide, allso seem to enjoy a large support among RC and dashcam users.
Its the 1 dashcam i have seen with most firmware upgrades over time.

The DOD you look at seem to suffer focus shift.
The blackvue cameras are allso SO SO, i have seen many in here that tried them and then move on after a short while.
I am not hardcore enuff to tell whether ther price / performance is good, but i fear its on the low side.

I will leave the other brands worth mentioning to other that might use them.

Lukas is a high end korean ( south ) make, my first dashcam was a LK-7500 and its still so good i had no issues about putting it in my little sisters car when i upgraded.
Street guardian allso provide high end cameras, and they seem to be over the top with customer care and support ( can be a big problem even with some other big brands )
The mobius some one mention is allso a decent camera, they seem to be quite durable, and for shear small size it as good as it get.
They are based on aging hardware, but its still good footage they provide, allso seem to enjoy a large support among RC and dashcam users.
Its the 1 dashcam i have seen with most firmware upgrades over time.

The DOD you look at seem to suffer focus shift.
The blackvue cameras are allso SO SO, i have seen many in here that tried them and then move on after a short while.
I am not hardcore enuff to tell whether ther price / performance is good, but i fear its on the low side.

I will leave the other brands worth mentioning to other that might use them.

Lukas has a great picture during the day, the night video is not bad..... thanks kamkar 1

now if they can make it perfect day and night that we would be best of both worlds lol

The lukas allso have a modest bitrate, but its not that bad in my view.
There is no dashcam that have good footage during night, but most even fairly cheap ones capture most you really need, and that is that you dident do anything wrong, so whatever happen must be the fault of the other guy.
Even the good old Mobius will capture that yes you did stop at the full stop line on that dimly lit rural road, and the reason as to why your car is now in the middle of that intetrseetcion T-boned by a car is that you was rear-ended after you was stopped and pushed into the path of the car t-boning you.
And all that should be logged just fine by a old camera like a Mobius.
The licenseplates of the cars in that imagenary crash should be of no consequence as the 3 cars should still be there when the smoke clear, and when the cops get there ( if they do that which is not allways the case here where i am )

Forget all about capturing licensplates, that abillety start to drop as soon as a day start to get cloudy, and at night it can only be done on the car parked or stopped right in front of you.
And thats allso the case for the most expensive dashcams.

On a completely dark rural road with no streetlights the camera will only capture what your car light up, now a top of the line dashcam might capture a little more, but when things go wrong that shouldent really matter.

Thats why i prefer dashcams with GPS, and i wish i could get OBD support too so my indicator use and other stuff was logged too.
Simply for the reason that i can then proof what i did just before and during a crash, and that should all be the right things, so whatever whent wrong was not my fault.
Capture and licenseplate readabillety is just a quality control feature for me, its by no means somthing i rely on, and luckelly there is far between hit and runs here, so what ever is in the crash will still be there when the smoke is gone.

As Forrest Gump say.

And thats all i have to say about that :)

Last edited:
Thats why i prefer dashcams with GPS, and i wish i could get OBD support too so my indicator use and other stuff was logged too.
Simply for the reason that i can then proof what i did just before and during a crash, and that should all be the right things, so whatever whent wrong was not my fault.

This is fine as long as you drive 100% safely, and legally. There are units out there for commercial trucks that will do this, and more.
Some of the OTR trucking companies have enough electronic monitoring stuff in the trucks they can tell you EVERYTHING the driver was doing at the time of the accident, braking, braking force, throttle pedal position, speed, braking duration, how close the truck was to the traffic ahead of it, and increasingly, save video of the accident including that of the driver.

1.28 seconds before impact the driver was picking his left nostril with the index finger of the right hand :eek: therefor he is to blame for all evil that happened in this state today :D

Offcourse one have to assume all ppl drive within the law, okay i dont do that allways, and so i might end up in a situation where it might be a good idea for me not to hand over any footage, or incriminate myself with said footage.
Either way i too should be held to account if i break the law, and thankfully handing over footage is all up to me here, dont think even if a cop saw i had a dashcam he would have any right to get footage off it without my concent.

Then again if i was to be Feked up and on my way to hospital in a ambulance he might just grab my SD card, and then the content might be used against me in court,,,, i think i am not a lawman.
Then again again, its rare a accident go to court here,even if ppl have died. If you as a victem is entitled to anything it will be the offenders insurance that have to pay up, and if he dont have that as the law demand, then i think the tax payers will have to cough up yet again.
And thats just another situation where Danes yet gain can and most often will get screwed over, just as its by now hardcoded into our genome.

Anyway most of my personal traffic transgressions is at a minor level, so at worst i would have to pay a fine.

But it do seem to me that our system here in that regard is no way near the system in the US, i am hard pressed to see a situation here where you can sue a person and actually get anything out of it.
And forget all about suing the goverment system, it never fail here and have unlimited resourses you have paied for with the high tax you pay.

Example: A fjew years ago a American tourist here was run over and killed by a poorly maintained small street sweeping machine, and dont for a secont think the ppl left behind get anything worth mentioning or was able to get anything suing the City of Copenhagen which owned that machine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
esox07 What Should I Buy? 11
esox07 What Should I Buy? 1
Back