Why pay BlackVue prices?

DJ70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X Plus-2CH, DR900S-2CH.
It's obvious BlackVue think they're something special, judging by the prices they charge for everything.

Take replacement sticky pads for example. When I wanted a replacement for my rear camera they wanted £3.99 for 1 pad, but then another £4.50 to post it!
Hell, what a ripoff!

BV ripoff.jpg

Similar pads with the same 3M VHB adhesive can be bought online for a fraction of the price. OK so they may need trimming slightly but is that really worth what BlackVue want to charge? I think not.

The only way to stop such ripoff's is not to deal with that company.

Reactions: MPH
I paid roughly half that (exchange rates) for 5 on eBay. Same 3M VHB adhesive.

People must avoid shopping at BlackVue to teach those thieves a lesson.

Maybe it's because BlackVue wants to sell dash cams, not adhesive tape and it is aware you can get the tape cheaper elsewhere. Sure. Not everyone needs the premium features of a BlackVue, but judging the camera based on the price of readily available tape is a bit odd.

More likely about the Blackvue skewed business model. It's been exhibited many times. Like there mandatory firmware upgrade so they can blitz you with ads every time you login. It really is obvious what there attitude is. People should run away from Blackvue just like I did.

Maybe it's because BlackVue wants to sell dash cams, not adhesive tape and it is aware you can get the tape cheaper elsewhere. Sure. Not everyone needs the premium features of a BlackVue, but judging the camera based on the price of readily available tape is a bit odd.
No-one makes them self adhesive pads. If they don't wish to then they shouldn't, but trying to rip off people is a big No-No.

I certainly didn't mention judging the camera, so it's a bit odd you should.

Many companies make them, including g 3M, and they are available all over the internet and at local stores.
Do you not buy a car at a dealership because it charges twice the price for an oil filter? Does that make the car a rip-off?
You're right, you didn't mention the camera's quality, which was my point. Sure, it might be the best camera out there but that doesn't matter if they charge a couple bucks more for tape that you can easily buy elsewhere.
And they sell it because there is some people who want to buy from the manufacturer of the product for the same reason some people want to buy their oil filters at the car dealer.

Many companies make them, including g 3M, and they are available all over the internet and at local stores.
Do you not buy a car at a dealership because it charges twice the price for an oil filter? Does that make the car a rip-off?
You're right, you didn't mention the camera's quality, which was my point. Sure, it might be the best camera out there but that doesn't matter if they charge a couple bucks more for tape that you can easily buy elsewhere.
And they sell it because there is some people who want to buy from the manufacturer of the product for the same reason some people want to buy their oil filters at the car dealer.
First off a dash cam is not a car and is hardly comparable. Car companies do not force you to watch advertisements every time you start the car now do they. If they did such a thing you can bet I wouldn't buy their product. When buying an oil filter you have options. With Blackvue you are locked into playing their game or nothing at all. Would you buy a car that only worked in certain areas like what Blackvue forced a change on their customers?

Blackvue may have been a high end camera before but certainly is not the best any longer. The point with the tape is simply price gouging. The point of the forced firmware updates mandating their way of forced behavior is another. Combined they show exactly what kind of company they are now. They are no longer customer oriented and attempted leveraging of their customers for their own benefit doesn't sit well with me. I'm thankful I was able to tell them to pound sand with their mandates and was able to move on to another company and product.

The "only" thing I like about the BlackVue is the form factor, and the only reason I stay with the company.

When buying an oil filter you have options. With Blackvue you are locked into playing their game or nothing at all.

The point with the tape is simply price gouging

Yes, it is price gouging.

There is a simple, more affordable solution and you are not, "locked into playing their game or nothing at all.". There are plenty of alternative options.

I've been using dash cams for 13 years now and I've experienced occasional problems with failed mounting tape since day one.

The tape pads that are supplied with dash cams are almost always 3M type 5952 VHB (Very High Bond) dual sided foam mounting tape. (or a similar variant). It comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes but is most commonly available in rolls. Dash cam manufacturers simply buy the tape from 3M and die cut it to fit their cameras but the tape is just a commodity item.

It is available in commercial/industrial form in different size rolls of different size widths and that is when you see it listed as "3M type 5952 VHB". There are different types of VHB that have slightly different properties and it comes in black or gray.

It is also available in a consumer form and you'll usually see it in packages that say something like "Scotch Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape" or "Scotch Outdoor Double Sided Mounting Tape" and so forth.

Anyway, for years now, whenever I need to remount a camera I use my own supply of this stuff that I keep on hand. I happen to have a roll that is two inches wide but it has become somewhat hard to get in that width. If that is not available I use two pieces of narrower 3M VHB tape side by side. All you need to do is trim that tape to the size of your camera mount. It isn't hard. A sharp scissors is all you need. (Simplest method is to firmly apply VHB tape to camera mount and trim carefully around the edges with sharp scissors as close to the edge of the mount as you can get.)

The tape isn't exactly cheap but buying it yourself is way cheaper that getting ripped off by Blackvue or any other dash cam manufacturer. The product has all kinds of other unexpected uses anyway so it is good to keep a roll around. I always keep some on hand.

Here are a couple of links as examples but be aware that there are many, many options available. You'll find this product at Home Depot and practically any hardware store or big box store.

Scotch-Mount™ Extremely strong Double-Sided Mounting Tape

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Scotch-Mount™ Extreme Double-Sided Mounting Tape&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=moz-us-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09G63579Q

Last edited:
My comment about playing their game or not at all was NOT about the tape, as I commented earlier in this thread.

The point is about trying to access the files stored on the camera. You either use Blackvue software or not at all. The software they forced you to update. The software that required internet access so they could get your location and make you watch their advertisements.

This consumer abusive happens when a company gets to big for their pants by having a large market share and poor management that tries to leverage it for even higher profits. It happens even more when there are supply chain issues limiting the number of products that can be sold.

My comment about playing their game or not at all was NOT about the tape, as I commented earlier in this thread.

The point is about trying to access the files stored on the camera. You either use Blackvue software or not at all. The software they forced you to update. The software that required internet access so they could get your location and make you watch their advertisements.

This consumer abusive happens when a company gets to big for their pants by having a large market share and poor management that tries to leverage it for even higher profits. It happens even more when there are supply chain issues limiting the number of products that can be sold.

Hmmm. This is a thread about Blackvue's exorbitant, ripoff prices on mounting tape. You obviously have a different agenda with the company. Perhaps others here will find my post useful.

If it's any consolation Viofo charges US customers up to $9.99 for a couple of 3M sticky pads. It's all a racket. What's new?

True.

That's why I roll my own. For a lot less money I can buy a roll of the stuff which is enough VHB tape to last me for years. Plus, like I said, the tape has many other uses.

My most recent use for VHB tape was to attach an Apple AirTag which I've installed inside a special waterproof case I purchased on AliExpress for $3.50 to the "ceiling" of a small compartment in the back of my pick-up truck bed. Now I can track my truck wherever it is, like when my mechanic put a lot of miles on it taking it home overnight for a road test. VHB tape was the perfect thing to have on hand when I did this installation.

Back