Wifi Dashcam recommendations

Duane

Reaction score
Hi

I have a FineVu Pro in my daily driver but am about to buy a second car and am trying to figure out whether to get a dashcam with wifi - possibly the BlackVue DR550GW.

Can anyone who has a wifi dashcam give me a recommendation? I steered clear of BlackVue when I got my FineVu Pro because of the over-heating issues so I'm a little hesitant to shell out $300 if they still suffer from reliability problems.

Also, and this is kind of dumb, but how does the wifi work? Can I monitor the camera from my iphone no matter where the car is parked?

Thanks in advance

John

The WiFi is just an ad hoc network to access the files that have been recorded

If you're happy with the quality of your FineVu you'd likely be disappointed by the Blackvue

Have a 500 and rarely use the WIFI Just as easy to whip the card out and look at in my PC Useful if you have a prang and want to show the cop but not much else.

Can alter some settings via a phone through it .

So can you see whatever the camera sees from wherever you are on your phone or does it only work in close proximity? My second car is a classic so I liked the idea of being able to remotely keep an eye on it.

I didn't realize the quality of BlackVue was that much worse. I have the Pro not the CR500, but the quality is very good - a kind lady reversed into me with an SUV while I was parked on the street and I had no problem seeing her license plate :)

5 to 10 meter range is typical for the WiFi some users complain about less but that might just be an issue for some handsets

So can you see whatever the camera sees from wherever you are on your phone or does it only work in close proximity? My second car is a classic so I liked the idea of being able to remotely keep an eye on it.

I didn't realize the quality of BlackVue was that much worse. I have the Pro not the CR500, but the quality is very good - a kind lady reversed into me with an SUV while I was parked on the street and I had no problem seeing her license plate :)

About 10M max I would say I don't have any trouble reading plates when vehicles are stationary or of I freeze frame the video and they are reasonably close.

Too many perfectionists who expect Movie quality from something that is designed for something else

Ahhh, okay, so I totally misunderstood the wifi functionality.

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll just get a Panorama II instead.

Can anyone who has a wifi dashcam give me a recommendation?
While it can be a little pricey I would recommend taking a look at the Vico WF1. It has an application for both Android and iPhone and just about all the bugs have been worked out so far. Really great tiny screen less WiFi camera DCT member JazJon has posted quite a few videos showing off the camera and i also personally use it myself daily.

Also, and this is kind of dumb, but how does the wifi work? Can I monitor the camera from my iphone no matter where the car is parked?
I always say the only dumb question is an unasked one. I also thought at first you could monitor and record at the same time with the Vico WF1. However as jokiin has mentioned the WiFi is only for aiming the camera, setting up the different settings, and transfering files to your phone or iPod.

My computer can see my WF1's WiFi network, but since it does not run android I can not use the app. My phone has a weaker WiFi chip so after slightly inside my house my phone looses connection.

Never the less good luck with your next camera purchase. Hopefully things went as best they could dealing with the lady that backed into you. It's nice to see someone have a camera before an accident happens. It always feels like someone gets backed into or hit and then buys a camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is wifi really necessary? or useful?

Which is better? lcd screen or wifi?
lcd looks great and much easier, but size is big.

can anyone advise?

Is wifi really necessary? or useful?

Which is better? lcd screen or wifi?
lcd looks great and much easier, but size is big.

can anyone advise?

Depends on whether you are an avid looker and want to view the footage all the time

If the screen turns off unless you need to look at it, it would be ok but makes the camera bulky and illegal to have on whilst driving in some countries.

Wifi is fine but I have it and rarely use it. Camera is much smaller therefore less noticeable

Back