World first "PIONEER-A20" dashcam

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
"Pioneer" is well known audio-video equipment manufacturer.
This is first time I see their brand being used on dashcam.

To me it looks nothing special, just an ordinary mid-class dashcam.
Anyway, here it is: Pioneer A20

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Build quality looks good.

Uuuuuu pioneer, i allways had a thing for ther high end headunits, but i never actually owned one.

Build quality looks good.

From pictures not always can judge how good or bad is built quality.
First I thought it is fake, but it comes from trading company who handles Philips branded dashcams on local Chinese market which are licensed, so I guess they also bought license from Pioneer to carry their name on that particular model.

Here is advertisement video:

http://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/1777377659/e/1/t/3/p/2/24410551.swf

They have total 3 Pioneer branded models in their portfolio right now.

it's a public model product, might be licensed (maybe, we're talking China remember) but it's not made by Pioneer

Yeah, as I mentioned "nothing special" and its public model as you said.
Also it can be seen from their other "public model", which has a Garmin housing.
It's might be just well known Chinese "R&D", - Remember and Duplicate ! ;)

a3.jpg

I think the HP product is better standard than these though, they are at least private model product, you see copies in the market but they are not the same as the HP version

I would think now a days there is lots of top brand names licensing their brand, this is the case in a few other low end products,

my next door neighbour gave me a garden Qualcast (the brand) scarifier a few weeks back as she had got herself a new one,

well it packed up, so I went on eBay and saw a Bosch scarifier for sale, I went and bought it, apart from the name on the top, they were both the same in design and parts they were one and the same, just a different brand name on it and all made at the same factory in China

So I shouldn’t think Panasonic had much to do with this DVR

So I shouldn’t think Panasonic had much to do with this DVR

Its sad that big branded names from "good-old-times" can do these days is giving away ( licensing ) their name to almost any product that brings them $, no matter how good or bad it's that product. If they see $$ is their eyes, then they give a green-light.
In good-old-days words Pioneer, Panasonic, HP, etc. - they meant something, they had a reputation and you could buy any of their products even blind-folded knowing you getting a high quality stuff.
Now most of them acting like a cheap "putana".

I wonder if they really have licensing from Pioneer, didn't find any mention of it on their US or Asia sites. We've seen some pretty blatant Bose and other high end brand knock offs come out of China.

KuoH

From pictures not always can judge how good or bad is built quality.
First I thought it is fake, but it comes from trading company who handles Philips branded dashcams on local Chinese market which are licensed, so I guess they also bought license from Pioneer to carry their name on that particular model.

I wonder if they really have licensing from Pioneer, didn't find any mention of it on their US or Asia sites. We've seen some pretty blatant Bose and other high end brand knock offs come out of China.

KuoH
That could be also the case, you never know. But some time "they" maybe give away brand name temporary to test a local market without even announcing those products on their local market websites, just as a test to see how ppl react.

KuoH

the distributor agreements are sometimes very broad in China as to how they're allowed (or maybe just cheat) using the name on products, domestic market it doesn't much matter, when some reseller goes buying out of the local market and putting the product into other markets is when it usually hits the fan

That could be also the case, you never know. But some time "they" maybe give away brand name temporary to test a local market without even announcing those products on their local market websites, just as a test to see how ppl react.

that's true, they normally do that in places like Singapore though

that's true, they normally do that in places like Singapore though

Singapore IIRC have at least 40 to 50 K foreign visitors everyday. Maybe more. Tax free. Ideal location to launch a new product.

Looks a bit like something Dome or TCL would make

Back