LK-7900 Firmware Version AC23 (June 14) and Updated Viewer

Re: LK-7900 Firmware Version AC23 (June 14) and Updated View

I compared the English and Korean firmware versions and they're exactly the same.

not the best of days to film..... rain mist and thunderstorms unfortunately the odometer is still way out it shows 3 times the distance I actually travel so the problem is not sorted out as far as france is concerned is anyone else experiencing the same problem? roll on update AC24 and viewer 1.7.7.0 I hope you are reading these posts LUKAS

AC23 shows my mileage correctly...
I'm not happy with video quality thou... Trying different settings, but cannot find any that will increase the possibility to see the license plates of cars. Right now I can clearly see only the plate of the car that stopped just in front of me.

Hi everybody,

I just got my Lukas LK-7900 two days ago, had it installed and tested. At start it shows AC23.

Everything working well except mileage which shows 5 to 6 times the real mileage.

First trial: tour in my village of about 2.5km, I ended up with 11km.
Second trial: return from a village nearby located 18.7km far away, video marked more than 90km.

Speed is correct from GPS on Viewer and video.
Repeat: with AC23.

Anybody else?

Thanx.

@ ste74 join the club I have the same issues with my camera Lukas are slowly eliminating the problem country by country I think They have requested once again a couple of video segments but unlike the first time around a month ago I seem to be having problems sending videos to them I will keep trying.In all other aspects the camera works fine and Lukas are always quick to respond.....Ipol

vitali_vg said:
AC23 shows my mileage correctly...
I'm not happy with video quality thou... Trying different settings, but cannot find any that will increase the possibility to see the license plates of cars. Right now I can clearly see only the plate of the car that stopped just in front of me.

That's weird. I can see the plates stopped in back of me. OH, wait, I have a camera in my back window, that's right. Seriously though how far away do you think you should be able to read a plate? I watched some clips old and new now that it's hot around here to see if I could see a difference but nothing noticed. I can't see a clear image of to many cars either so maybe you might be expecting more than is possible. Can you post a link of some YouTube clips that show a better image than you are getting? I took a quick look and didn't see any that stood out.

Al Drake said:
That's weird. I can see the plates stopped in back of me. OH, wait, I have a camera in my back window, that's right. Seriously though how far away do you think you should be able to read a plate? I watched some clips old and new now that it's hot around here to see if I could see a difference but nothing noticed. I can't see a clear image of to many cars either so maybe you might be expecting more than is possible. Can you post a link of some YouTube clips that show a better image than you are getting? I took a quick look and didn't see any that stood out.

OK, I maybe picky, but
I compared with this one:
YouTube:

Original File: https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=D1BJVsWwZUZMYY/17x/ee5VCl/2ZSXhtXrWQUP31RwM=
Looking at the file name I assume it was taken with AC19 firmware

Sec 26 - I surely can read the plate of Toyota. On my cam I cannot read any plate of a car I'm passing
sec 78 - I can read 3 plates in a row. On my cam I can see only in front of me
In general - in this video I can read the plates, that are on the very right/left side of the screen (e.g. 1:47 - smal truck on the right side). In my case, everything that are on the sides - cannot be read. I can only see some white spots instead of plates...

I think I will try to downgrade my firmware and see it will give me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

vitali_vg said:
Al Drake said:

OK, I maybe picky, but
I compared with this one:
YouTube:

Original File: https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=D1BJVsWwZUZMYY/17x/ee5VCl/2ZSXhtXrWQUP31RwM=
Looking at the file name I assume it was taken with AC19 firmware

Sec 26 - I surely can read the plate of Toyota. On my cam I cannot read any plate of a car I'm passing
sec 78 - I can read 3 plates in a row. On my cam I can see only in front of me
In general - in this video I can read the plates, that are on the very right/left side of the screen (e.g. 1:47 - smal truck on the right side). In my case, everything that are on the sides - cannot be read. I can only see some white spots instead of plates...

I think I will try to downgrade my firmware and see it will give me :)
I was thinking the same thing about using older firmware. The YouTube video looked good but the audio wasn't. I couldn't understand a thing that guy was saying.

When I get some decent weather I'll try different FW and setting and see if I can come up with a better configuration. Suposta rain for the next week right into the 4th. Bummer.

Al Drake said:
I was thinking the same thing about using older firmware. The YouTube video looked good but the audio wasn't. I couldn't understand a thing that guy was saying.
I'm actually not so much interested in voice recording, as may say something about drivers around, that I don't want my children to hear... :)

vitali_vg said:
Al Drake said:
I'm actually not so much interested in voice recording, as may say something about drivers around, that I don't want my children to hear... :)

I agree. I never realized how much I talk to myself until I used this camera for the first time. Now I keep the record setting on low and make sure my stereo is always up. I wish there was an off setting and one for external microphone. I might want a wireless mic outside in case I have to confront a driver. But then again I do remember an incident where I rolled down my passenger side window and listened to the guy admit it was his fault after he gave me a break test.

Me too! To my horror, I have discovered that I mumble all the time like a drunk old man.

About the update, I can't do it! I downloaded the AC23 on a vista windows computer, I formatted my 8gb card on the same computer then inserted the card when the SD-fail was seen, but no update, it stayed on AC21.

I tried to format on the Lukas and turned it off when it said "format complete, recording started", copied the unzipped file to the card and returned to the Lukas but again no update. I even tried to format again on the Lukas, download the AC23 on my MAC then copied unzipped to the SD card, but again no update.

What am I doing wrong?

Nimbus said:
Me too! To my horror, I have discovered that I mumble all the time like a drunk old man.

About the update, I can't do it! I downloaded the AC23 on a vista windows computer, I formatted my 8gb card on the same computer then inserted the card when the SD-fail was seen, but no update, it stayed on AC21.

I tried to format on the Lukas and turned it off when it said "format complete, recording started", copied the unzipped file to the card and returned to the Lukas but again no update. I even tried to format again on the Lukas, download the AC23 on my MAC then copied unzipped to the SD card, but again no update.

What am I doing wrong?

If the card is formatted correctly using the Lukas View application on a PC( I know nothing about MAC) and you have unzipped the firmware(any version) all you need to do is copy that firmware file to that card. Insert the card into the camera after you have turned it on and it reports no card present the installation should go forward. I have done this several times upgrading and downgrading with no issues. If you are unable to resolve your problems then I would recommend contacting LUKAS.
From reading your post it seems you might not have the sequence right. Turn the camera on with no card installed first. THEN insert the card when it fails.
Good luck.

I used SDFormatter 3.1 to format my 32 and 64 GB cards.
Then I copied unzipped "firmware" file onto this card. As Al Drake mentioned It does not matter whether you are upgrading or downgrading.
Then I followed the steps described in Lukas FAQs on this site: http://dashcamtalk.com/lukas-lk-7900-ac ... structions

When upgrading I also used Lukas Viewer for formatting. But when downgrading, I prefer not to have "config.bin" file on the card, as I have no idea how older firmware will deal with new configuration attributes...

vitali_vg said:
I used SDFormatter 3.1 to format my 32 and 64 GB cards.
Then I copied unzipped "firmware" file onto this card. As Al Drake mentioned It does not matter whether you are upgrading or downgrading.
Then I followed the steps described in Lukas FAQs on this site: http://dashcamtalk.com/lukas-lk-7900-ac ... structions

When upgrading I also used Lukas Viewer for formatting. But when downgrading, I prefer not to have "config.bin" file on the card, as I have no idea how older firmware will deal with new configuration attributes...

Consider this.
There are no "settings" existing on the camera. They are on the config.bin file on the card. Example: I have several cards with different settings for different conditions such as weather and night or day. If it's a bright sunny day I will want a different configuration than a dark cloudy day. I might want different settings on my rear camera because the rear is exposed to different lighting. You can use different cards with different firmware if you want along with different settings. The card is what has all the control over the camera.

Al Drake said:
Consider this.
There are no "settings" existing on the camera. They are on the config.bin file on the card. Example: I have several cards with different settings for different conditions such as weather and night or day. If it's a bright sunny day I will want a different configuration than a dark cloudy day. I might want different settings on my rear camera because the rear is exposed to different lighting. You can use different cards with different firmware if you want along with different settings. The card is what has all the control over the camera.
So, what you are saying is that I may have a card with different firmware and config for it?
It is interesting... Didn't think about this.

If the card is formatted correctly using the Lukas View application on a PC( I know nothing about MAC) and you have unzipped the firmware(any version) all you need to do is copy that firmware file to that card.

Thanks Drake, I now know what I did wrong and It's because of a problem with the way I perceived the instructions. Lukas says "3. Copy unzipped download file into the SD card"
I took that to mean that something had already been done to the file, because all you had to do was to "copy the unzipped file"'. So I copied the unzipped file to the card without opening it first. It was only after reading the above quote from Drake which points out that I have to unzip it that I realised my mistake.

If the instructions said, 'Unzip the downloaded file and copy it to the SD card', it would have been clearer to me. But I will accept it as my fault. I'm sure it will work now. A simple error in interpretation of words and the structure of sentences. This kind of trivial mistake can start a world war!

The video is sharper and no apparent colour changing but I do see constant pixilation and some macro blocks. Not as bad as the FineVu CR-500HD, but it does disappoint me. Overall I prefer the AC21. Wish I kept it.

Nimbus said:
The video is sharper and no apparent colour changing but I do see constant pixilation and some macro blocks. Not as bad as the FineVu CR-500HD, but it does disappoint me. Overall I prefer the AC21. Wish I kept it.

If you prefer, I may put AC19 and AC21 to my dropbox, as soon as I will come home today... :)

Thank you very much. That's rather decent of you.

Back