The FineVu CR-300HD dash cam is a compact Korean built dash cam with excellent picture quality during the day but average picture quality at night. It does not come with a built in GPS module but an external one can be purchased separately. This dash camera also has a G-sensor and parking mode. For parking mode, this camera has a built-in low voltage cut-off. Unfortunately the low voltage cut-off is set at 11.6v, which means your battery will likely be dead if it hits that voltage. If you are using parking mode, you may want to consider a Battery Discharge Prevention Device.
It is easy to install a circular polarizing lens (CPL) on this dash cam which helps reduce reflections when shooting in sunny weather. If you do opt for a CPL, it is recommended to remove it for night recording otherwise the video will be dark. The CPL is sold separately as well. The FineVu CR-300HD hasn’t achieved the same popularity as other dash cams due to its high price tag. However reliability appears to be quite good for this camera.
Comparison with DR-400G-HD II
This camera is often compared to another Korean made DVR, the Blackvue DR-400G-HD II. The main differences between the two cameras are as follows:
- CR-300HD does not have GPS, DR-400G-HD II does
- CR-300HD can use CPL, DR-400G HD II does not
- CR-300HD has a wider angle compared to the DR-400G HD II
- CR-300HD and DR-400G HD II have excellent day video quality
- CR-300HD has average video quality at night, DR-400G HD II has good video quality at night
- CR-300HD is $50 more expensive than the DR-400G HD II
Overall, if you are looking for a compact, reliable, non-GPS dash cam but are ok with a high price tag and average night visibility, the FineVu CR-300HD DVR is for you.
This camera was released in 2012 and to date there have been few reliability problems identified.
Mounting the Camera
Standard Mount comparing the FineVu CR-300HD DVR on the left with the Blackvue DR400G-HD DVR on the right.
The latest English PC Application is v3.1.8.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- Download the latest firmware.
- Remove the Micro SD card from the dash cam and place it in the micro SD adapter. Insert into a memory card reader on a PC.
- It is recommended that you back up all important files on the Micro SD card.
- Format the memory card prior to the firmware upgrade
- Unzip the downloaded firmware and copy it to the root directory of the memory card.
- When you insert the micro SD card into the black box and turn the power on, 4 LEDs will flash and the upgrade will start.
- The upgrade takes approximately 3 minutes. When the upgrade is complete, the firmware file will automatically be deleted.
The latest firmware file can be found on the FineVu site in the Downloads section (Korean only). English firmware can be downloaded here: CR-300HD_Firmware_v2.02.100_eng.zip
Last Updated: Jan 19, 2013
FineVu CR-300HD - DashCamTalk
The FineVu CR-300HD is too expensive for no GPS and average night visibility.
Product SKU: FineVu CR-300HD
Product Brand: FineVu
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 250
Price Valid Until: 2023-01-01
Product In-Stock: SoldOut