Any idea on a hot swap bracket for GPS mount?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
It's a big PITA to take the sticky tape off the windshield so thinking if there is an easy way to create a small bracket that we can stick on the windshield permanently and just slide the GPS mount/dashcam when we need it in a different vehicle.
Instead of sticking the GPS mount, stick the bracket in different vehicles and just take the dashcam to the car you drive.
Thoughts?

Id love this too.

Even if I have to buy the gps mount (aas long as its not too exp) plus wiring!

@niko has done a few of these - Lukas use a slide in / slide out system for their cameras and Niko has created something like this which works with the Panorama type cameras and I can't think of anyone who has tried more options :)

I would like to put in on rentals cars when I travel then back on my car when I return. I suppose I could have 2 mounts, 1 permantly on my car, and one I take on and off rentals. But that does not sound too practical to me.

Yes it's easy, I do it every day. get two, 3/4" super magnets from Home Depot for about $4. Apply 3M VHB tape to them and stick close together on your windshield. Then VHB tape some thin metal to the GPS mount. It was a little too strong so I put a couple layers of electrical tape over the metal (between the metal and the magnets). It won't move, even over bumps and comes off fairly easy if you grab by the GPS mount (not the camera) Another option is using 2 pieces of 3M dual lock tape like they give you to mount an EZ pass, but with the magnets you can adjust the camera level much easier.

Yes it's easy, I do it every day. get two, 3/4" super magnets from Home Depot for about $4. Apply 3M VHB tape to them and stick close together on your windshield. Then VHB tape some thin metal to the GPS mount. It was a little too strong so I put a couple layers of electrical tape over the metal (between the metal and the magnets). It won't move, even over bumps and comes off fairly easy if you grab by the GPS mount (not the camera) Another option is using 2 pieces of 3M dual lock tape like they give you to mount an EZ pass, but with the magnets you can adjust the camera level much easier.
I always prefer a magnet on both surfaces to be joined as that way they are self-centring and if they do start to slide away from each other on a pothole they just pull themselves back into place again while a magnet against a piece of metal moves a little further on each pothole. You need two pairs if you want the angle to be perfect every time.

For rental cars a modified suction mount with a mini base on it seems the best bet...

I have never had GPS reception problems and as far as putting these magnets on both surfaces, it will be almost impossible to remove the mount the bond will be so strong. You may even damage the camera if you get within an inch of each other and they slam together they are so strong.
I would not advise magnets back to back. A pothole will not move the camera with my setup.

Yes, but sticking a metal plate will block the screw openings that allow attaching 2 and 4 degree wedges so the metal plate also needs to have holes for screws.

May be a strip of Velcro will work. Hmmm... but may vibrate too much.

I don't use the wedges. I mount in the center of the windshield. I assumed the wedges were attached with tape not screwed in.

Velcro is not stiff enough. 3m Dual Lock is.

Yes, same idea.
No need for magnets nor metal plate.
Something like this on the GPS mount and two strips on the windshield should work.
d34f70be3863.jpg

I don't use the wedges. I mount in the center of the windshield. I assumed the wedges were attached with tape not screwed in.
The two angled wedges are screwed in and 2nd batch should have 6 screws in a small pouch.
You can use double sided tape as well but it'll be another PITA to change it again.

Last edited:
For rental cars a modified suction mount with a mini base on it seems the best bet...
It would be a lot cleaner design if Mini came up with it. I'm not sure it the market is big enough for it to be worth while for them? It may increase their cameras sales if they have it available.

It would be a lot cleaner design if Mini came up with it. I'm not sure it the market is big enough for it to be worth while for them? It may increase their cameras sales if they have it available.
Actually, I have more of a problem with the filter, than I do with the mounting option. The filter was rotated in the optimal position for glare and every time I un-mounted it, the thing would fall off or move and I would need to re-adjust every time. The magnet that holds it in place is not very strong. So I decided to do another modification and applied 2 very small pieces of VHB tape to the body and side of the lens making sure not to cover the vent holes. It has worked so far.

May be a strip of Velcro will work. Hmmm... but may vibrate too much.

Velcro or Dual-Lock tape works great. If the GPS unit is separate from the camera, Velcro is all you need and vibration is not an issue. If you want more stability for whatever reason, Dual-Lock tape (Type 170) would be the product to use.

How about 3M command tape? It sticks strong yet removes with a pull. I use it for testing cameras

How about 3M command tape? It sticks strong yet removes with a pull. I use it for testing cameras

I don't believe this would be viable as a permanent solution because the product is not designed for the temperature extremes found in an automobile. The product instruction sheet says, "Adhesive could lose adhesion above 105° Fahrenheit (40°C).
There is an outdoor version of Command tape that is good up to 125° F but that too may not work long in a car.

VHB tapes, Dual-Lock and some Velcro products are more suited to the heat extremes in a motor vehicle.

I don't believe this would be viable as a permanent solution because the product is not designed for the temperature extremes found in an automobile. The product instruction sheet says, "Adhesive could lose adhesion above 105° Fahrenheit (40°C).
There is an outdoor version of Command tape that is good up to 125° F but that too may not work long in a car.

VHB tapes, Dual-Lock and some Velcro products are more suited to the heat extremes in a motor vehicle.
It's been in my car since July, no issues yet. I'm using it to test the Innovv C4

It's been in my car since July, no issues yet. I'm using it to test the Innovv C4

That's good to hear. I was just reporting the listed specification which says it could fail at well below the average temps reached in cars on a summer day. Maybe with such a lightweight object it won't be an issue.

Back