POLL: LK-7900 ACE feature requests

Which of these features would you like to see on the Lukas LK-7900 ACE?

• Total voters

cdlu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
LK-7900 ACE
I don't know if anyone from Lukas follows this forum, but a consolidated list of feature requests and bug fixes that can be accomplished by only changing firmware could be collaboratively made here and sent to them on behalf of the group as a whole. Maybe we'll see some of those changes in AC31 and beyond...

I have put my list in the form of a poll the responses from which would give us a solid case to take to Lukas for the top-requested ones. Sorry I don't seem to be able to add more options to the poll after the fact as they come in.

On-going edit -- suggested feature/change requests so far after the creation of the poll, with usernames of those endorsing/suggesting it:

Theoretically possible within firmware:
  1. Auto-detect and log license plates seen [kamkar1]
  2. Monochrome recording option [kamcar1]
  3. Day vs night mode settings (the transition could be detected automatically using GPS data) [xgeek]
  4. Support WiFi SD cards [RaffRaff]
  5. GPS strength indication [ken]

Suggested hardware changes:
  1. Move status display to top of device so it can be seen above the mirror [kamkar1]
  2. Separate camera unit from recording unit (ala LK-7300) but with smaller camera [kamkar1]
  3. HUD system which can project camera footage and data onto the windscreen [kamkar1]
  4. Provide black adhesive for the mounting bracket instead of the white adhesive currently included to make it less conspicuous [cdlu]
  5. OBD2 data monitoring/recording [cdlu, kamkar1]
Suggestions that have already been implemented:
  1. Ability to turn off or dim status display (perhaps with a single dot on to show the camera is alive) [RaffRaff] This can be accomplished by holding down the 'MUTE' button for five seconds. [resolved by xgeek]

Last edited:
They should be so lucky, I have to beg people for feedback and ideas for updates, most of the features I've added have just been from scouring feedback on other products that people ask for and looking at what we can implement

They should be so lucky, I have to beg people for feedback and ideas for updates, most of the features I've added have just been from scouring feedback on other products that people ask for and looking at what we can implement

Which model of camera do you make?

I think there needs to start being more cooperation among the manufacturers -- there are simply too many offering roughly the same camera with roughly the same features with few working on real technological advances, and NONE of them sell retail yet in North America (which is just crazy, there are somewhere around 200 million cars here).

Which model of camera do you make?

I think there needs to start being more cooperation among the manufacturers -- there are simply too many offering roughly the same camera with roughly the same features with few working on real technological advances, and NONE of them sell retail yet in North America (which is just crazy, there are somewhere around 200 million cars here).

I previously did generic based product with our own internals, even though it was functionally different you do get tarred with the same brush so very hard to get noticed that you do things differently

Have just done some completely new cameras that are like nobody else's so we can at least be recognised as being a different product, have also addressed a lot of the shortcomings that exist in most designs which was something I wanted to do anyway, will be releasing details on those very shortly

1. I would like to see the abillety to detect and log licence plates as it is possible with cctv kameras, maybe only active in event mode or maybe just as part of the software.
2. Allso it would be cool with only a small cam in the window, and the bulk of the hardware somewhere else. Lukas LK-7300 is good consept but cam body is too large IMHO.
3. The "display" on the back of my LK-7500G are kinda useless, especially when cam is mounted in front of rear view mirror like mine is, would be nice if the display was up high on the devise. or maybe detachable
4. on the extreme end a HUD system witch can projekt cam footage + info on the window, or maybe just the info from GPS / OBD
5: was wondering if the camera whent into B&W mode at night would mean it could be more light sensetive.

The reason i would like to see my speed of the cam is that my Little Suzuki ( motorized lunchbox ) is up to 11 km/ h off the actual speed. ( when gps say 80 km/h the speedo is 90 km/h in my car )

Last edited:
1. I would like to see the abillety to detect and log licence plates as it is possible with cctv kameras, maybe only active in event mode or maybe just as part of the software.
5: was wondering if the camera whent into B&W mode at night would mean it could be more light sensetive.

The rest are hardware changes. I'll edit the original post to include all suggested changes.

The reason i would like to see my speed of the cam is that my Little Suzuki ( motorized lunchbox ) is up to 11 km/ h off the actual speed. ( when gps say 80 km/h the speedo is 90 km/h in my car )

The GPS is probably more accurate than the speedometer. You can ask a mechanic to calibrate the speedo if you want, as tire size and wear, etc, affect the indicated versus true speed.

i could do that, but mecanics here are expensive, it would proberly cost me 200 US dollars for 1.5 - 2 houres of work. :oops:

ATM i have tilted my mirror a Little to see display while driving, meanwhile i am thinking about moving the cam a Little to one side.

Mine is just to the far side of my mirror where I can read it and both me and my passenger can reach its two buttons.

I would like to be able to use 2 settings profiles. One for night and one for day based on system time.

I currently have 2 SD cards setup with different settings that I change for day/night time use.

I would like to be able to use 2 settings profiles. One for night and one for day based on system time.

I currently have 2 SD cards setup with different settings that I change for day/night time use.

Added.

Ability to turn off or dim status display (perhaps with a single dot on to show the camera is alive) [RaffRaff]

You can turn the LED display off now if you hold the M button for 5 seconds.

Another thing that would be great if 'blackbox' cameras really want to serve as blackboxes would be an ODB2 connection which records all available data in real-time in the video's embedded data.

Another thing that would be great if 'blackbox' cameras really want to serve as blackboxes would be an ODB2 connection which records all available data in real-time in the video's embedded data.

looking into that for a future product, have more important things to take care of first

Enable 11mbps video when using 24fps option. Tried this when it was first implemented and it records at 9mbps even when you select 11. Have not checked latest Ac29 yet. Thanks.

The OBD2 cams are hardly avalible in korea yet.
They are however pretty cool and i want one :rolleyes: but i think i have to wait a while till i can either by OBD2 addon to my LK7500G, or i will have to get a new cam witch have / support OBD2
The box my Lk7500G cam came in say Lukas Real blackbox, the box is used for LK-7500 / LK-7500G ( GPS ) / LK-7500D (OBD2) / LK-7500GD ( GPS+OBD2 )

so i pray i will just have to get the OBD2 thingie, but i am quite confused on this issue.

OBD2 for the western market is in the development stage at the moment I like others am waiting patiently for its release. Having regarded the korean lukas cam videos with OBD2 facility I find the concept very interesting .......Ipol:)

OBD2 for the western market is in the development stage at the moment I like others am waiting patiently for its release. Having regarded the korean lukas cam videos with OBD2 facility I find the concept very interesting .......Ipol:)

I would like a model option with ONLY the top end audio/video quality/features and heat/cold tolerance.

I guess it depends on what you want the OBDII data for? For a product like this I am guessing they will only support the OBDII standard pids or more likely a subset of them. The camera is primarily intended for auto security and traffic related incidents and I would expect the OBDII function to be in that context.

You get a rough approximation of speed with the coarse sampling GPS. It's not adequate for calculating G-force. Some pertinent OBDII data (if they are included in the standard OBDII pids) might be things like steering angle, pressure applied to the brakes or ABS activation, and lateral and longitudinal G-force. I would not expect this to be a replacement for a full function OBDII scanner. I would like a model with only the best of the audio/video functions -- 1080p and and go with the "component" approach for the rest.

I primarily got the camera for track days. I expected the above would be the case but still went with the LK-7900 ACE for the 1080 HD and the best heat tolerance. The GPS turned out to be inadequate for my purpose so I got a 5-10Hz external GPS receiver. I also need to monitor some of the manufacturer specific OBDII pids and have a dedicated OBDII scanner for that. I would not expect their OBDII to be able to replace that either.
Everything can be combined using software like RaceRender.

Short clip here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B69PP31KQqZUSkNMSXZTOERhSnc/edit?usp=sharing

Audio/video: LK-7900 ACE
Track map: Qstarz BT-Q818XT GPS recorded by RaceChrono on my phone
All other car telemetry: DashDAQ OBDII scanner

Last edited:
Back