Are dashcam's catching on in America?

Now as I think of it, I did have a former co-worker who had a dashcam. I remember now that some car manufacturers do make dashcams as some of you guys have mentioned. Stores like Wal-Mart do carry them in the automotive section so I do think it's picking up in popularity but not in the masses yet in my opinion.

Just like it's going to be a requirement to have backup camera's the same should be for dashcams but that probably won't happen anytime soon if ever.

so in those countries where it is illegal is it also illegal to just start filming in public with your cell phone?

Yep, I think it's that law that then extends to dashcam usage. In Luxembourg you can't record (video or stills) people in a public place, therefore dashcams used in vehicles on public roads is covered in that law

Here you can photo and video all you like pretty much, the problems arise if you publish your footage.
But in general it are BS laws that even the courts dont respect, and judging from what people publish them self, then its pretty much a free for all.

I think you can go by google maps, if a country dont have street view, there are probably some local rules in play.

I think dashcam's in America are still kind of a new thing even though I feel it's catching on a bit. I just saw an episode of The People's Court, where a dashcam was used as evidence, however it was actually used against the plaintiff in a car accident. I felt the plaintiff should've known that it would be used against him because the insurance company sided with the defendant. The judge asked "What are you doing with a camera in your car?" and "Why do you have one?". The outside reporter also asked the same questions and Harvey stated it was a good idea to have a dashcam for insurance companies to save money and to have evidence. In Russia, dashcams are heavily used as that's how the meteoroid was caught on cam.

I've thinking about installing a rear cam as well to accomodate my front one, just in case someone rear ends' me.

What do you guys think? Are dashcams in America catching on fast?

People still think I’m crazy when I try to sell them on dashcams...they look at me like I’m mentally ill, or like wtf are you talking about? Regardless of how logical it is, they just don’t get it. Me personally, I love all cameras! They’re so important

Here you can photo and video all you like pretty much, the problems arise if you publish your footage.
But in general it are BS laws that even the courts dont respect, and judging from what people publish them self, then its pretty much a free for all.

I think you can go by google maps, if a country dont have street view, there are probably some local rules in play.

Here in the States, it's if you're in public than it's free for all as you have no expectation of privacy while in public. In some states, you have to get permission before audio/video recording as known as a two party consent but I don't think that applies to just driving with a dashcam, it's mainly if you call that person than you'd have to mention that you're being recorded and if they are ok with that. I'm probably missing a few details but that's those are the main points.

People still think I’m crazy when I try to sell them on dashcams...they look at me like I’m mentally ill, or like wtf are you talking about? Regardless of how logical it is, they just don’t get it. Me personally, I love all cameras! They’re so important

They'll have that one crash where the other party is to blame but is refusing to accept any responsibility, they'll get stiffed through the insurance or the courts, or both, then they'll think... "should have listened to that crazy dashcam guy!" :D

You can't fart in this country without it being picked up on a cam somewhere, dashcams were always gonna take off here!

Yes, I noticed that too. Overall interesting specs. Good temperature tolerances for example. And it doesn't appear to have a screen although with the design you would expect one.
but the price!!!

but the price!!!

Well, if you have to ask! :joyful:

No, really, like most similar factory options, the price is ridiculous.

About a year ago the overhead compass and temperature gauge on the headliner in my Toyota truck failed and I inquired about having it repaired. The Toyota dealer said I would need to replace the entire unit at a cost of over $600! I did a little research and ended up replacing two resisters on the PCB at a cost of less that $1.00 and now it works perfectly again. Such is the mentality of car manufacturers and dealerships. :grumpy:

dealers are stealers :p

dealers are stealers :p

I can only comment about the USA but that's correct here :whistle: After their expenses, the dealer makes very little on basic car sales- their profits are in the accessories and dealership services. The sales staff work on a commission so they're going to try to make you spend to increase their cut. This is why nearly every car on their lot has lots of non-deletable accessories ;) Their largest profits are in the dealer-installed accessories as you're seeing with the factory cam here :eek: I like that they're being offered anyway- I'm all for uncreasing dashcam awareness :cool:

Phil

I've been using dashcams since around 2013. I've convinced 5 other co-workers into getting one. I did have an interesting conversation with a truck driver a few weeks ago (I load LNG and LPG tankers). He stated that all new trucks that the company he works for will have dashcams installed. Didn't say OEM or aftermarket.

I see more and more in my area recently. Though Florida is no fault your insurance company likes them in case personal injury claims are being made.

I think more and more people are getting into dash cams as the practicality of having a camera in your car catches on.

all my co workers as well as a friend that runs a CAR REVIEW web site, laugh/ed at me for having dash cams. The car review guy, after ditching a Subaru and rolling it over when a woman pulled out in front of him, said he will stop laughing at me.
Everyone I know says they are unwilling to spend the money AND they fear it will used AGAINST THEM... meaning, they speed, and or are generally not gracious drivers.

I, on the other hand, try to adhere to the rule of road law at all times. My new CR-V is making that difficult, and I find myself crossing over the speed limit a few times a week.

Everyone I know says they are unwilling to spend the money AND they fear it will used AGAINST THEM... meaning, they speed, and or are generally not gracious drivers .

This is why I cannot gift dashcams to my friends and family :eek: All they see are the downsides of having their intentionally poor driving habits exposed. The one friend who is a good driver doesn't see the need because she's never had significant problems on the road and doesn't like having gadgets in her car :rolleyes:

It seems that most people want to have an immediate return on their investment via the cost-vs-benefit method which may never play out with a dashcam. You cannot assign a price or value to peace-of-mind even though we understand it's great value :(

Phil

Back