It froze, simply not reliable!

Jacko956

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512gw, 512 rear
It froze with a static image on the screen. Only noticed when i was driving. Unplugged it. Time on the display was 9.03pm and was showing 2 bars of battery. Wouldn't turn off and took about 1 and a half hours for the battery to completely drain and turn off. With the catalogue of issues might give up and return it to Amazon.

Sorry to hear this, get in touch with us @Jacko956 you shouldn't be experiencing freezing.

Call us on 02920 866 429 to get it sorted as quickly as possible.

Ok, thanks. Not with dash cam or car at the moment. Will call tomorrow.

Got a call back from technical support and they said that my SD card, a Samsung 128 evo plus, may fall over when full and to get a high endurance SD card. He also asked if it was connected to a permanent live because he said that can cause issues.

It does seem to make sense as I've read it's not recommended to fill up any SSD or HDD with data.

So I'll order a high endurance sd card and report back. In the meantime I'll try a test by partitioned the card to reserve some space.

Samsung micro SDXC cards

EVO Plus 128 states - smartphones, tablets, digital cameras and 4k UHD action cameras.

PRO Endurance 128 states - suitable for Dash, Body and Surveillance cams.

I have both.

Samsung micro SDXC cards

EVO Plus 128 states - smartphones, tablets, digital cameras and 4k UHD action cameras.

PRO Endurance 128 states - suitable for Dash, Body and Surveillance cams.

I have both.
And now, I'm going to have both too.

Having both cams makes you really need a 128gb. High endurance are so expensive :-(

I have a 128 GB SanDisk ultra. Apparently not a good choice, but it only cost £20 in the sale. It has run for 1 month so far ok.

And now, I'm going to have both too.

Samsung share price has just risen 50points (y)

Skynet,
I know what you mean, I have a box of SD cards from 4 to 128 and I didnt want to buy anymore but having a top quality piece of hardware and installing a low quality card is defeating the object of the exercise.
Almost like using blanks in a gunfight.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this, get in touch with us @Jacko956 you shouldn't be experiencing freezing.

Call us on 02920 866 429 to get it sorted as quickly as possible.

Technical support said that my SD card, a Samsung 128 evo plus, may fall over when full and tries to overwrite. So to get a high endurance SD card.

I've not got one yet but checked the samsung card with h2testw_1.4 and got no errors.

But the dash cam had crashed again today! It had only used 60gb of 128gb.

I'd parked up for about an hour whilst loading the car (parking mode on). Then drove off but noticed it had crashed again. I removed the dash cam and when I disconnected the rear camera it woke up and the the screen came back on. It was showing 2 bars of battery. I'm convinced there's an issue with the rear cam. I going to use it for a while without the rear cam and see what happens.

My son has the 312gw with the same brand of card but a 32gb and hasn't had an issue.

Previously my Evo 128gb card had operated faultlessly in my 512GW recording and storing 9+ weeks of journeys, so I decided to use it in my older 512G, when I did the camera pop-up message said Insert SD Card but the screen displayed the card icon and woukdnt record.
I formatted the card again but still the same Insert SD Card message appeared and with the card icon on the screen and zero recording???
As a control I tried a brand new 32GB card, formatted it and everything operated perfectly. (y)

Im thinking the Evo card may be at fault, so should I contact Scan.co.uk as its guaranteed for 5years.
Or have I missed something on the older 512G............???????

Last edited:
Dashcams can be picky about cards, especially ones larger than recommended. The Samsung EVO and EVO Plus are noted for generally doing very well in dashcams but exceptions will exist. Always test cards with the h2testw freeware doing a full overwrite, which may take some hours based on card size and PC performance. This will ensure the card is working properly but it may still not be compatible with any given cam. Also note that almost no cards are warrantied for dashcam usage as this is one of the most write-intensive uses of MicroSD cards there is, and it is the writing of data which taxes them the most. And always format the card in the cam before use, and every few months thereafter as maintenance.

I still wish Nextbase would sell over here, they have some interesting models that seem quite a good value, but I understand their choice.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your reply.
I saw that link mentioned in a previous post but found its not available for a Mac so I will look around for something similar, the amount of freely available software is staggering but I have the time so will keep looking,

Why do you not import the cam or items you would like?
I always scource what I want, I have never letting trade or currency restrictions get in the way, from the US alone I have imported thousands of dollars worth of materials, infact I have some small $5 items coming right now simply because no other company globally is producing them.
Just in the last two years Ive scourced items from Poland, Hawaii, Norway and Japan.
My default option is always to speak directly to the manufacturer, the person at the top of the business if possible, this has worked very well for me especially with US producers who have been very helpful.
Shipping costs can be a bind but you would have to pay them if the item was being sold locally so it is no loss paying as an individual, import duty cannot be avoided, and credit cards are acceptable everywhere.
Don't be put off just go for it.

Hope this helps.

Mine froze twice yesterday too.
I'm on latest 22.5 firmware.

I didn't notice until I got to my destination and saw that the dash cam screen still showed me on my drive and hadn't gone off with screensaver.

I managed to press the reset button underneath with a pencil I had in the car.
I checked all the settings and it all seemed fine.
I even formatted the SD card because there was nothing important on it.
A few minutes later it froze again.

So again I pressed the reset button again. I've driven it a few times since then and not happened again yet.

I have a SanDisk Ultra 128gb.
(I know ultra isn't the best for dash cams) but only about 20gb was used when it had first crashed.

I have the rear cam connected too if that helps.

I'm waiting on delivery for a high endurance card, an intergral 64gb MLC type card. See how that goes.

My cam has been freezing over recent weeks. I'm running a 32gb Nextbase SD card with the rear cam. The reset button comes in handy! It's very frustrating.

So there are varying SD cards being used but the system is still freezing.

This common things I've noticed are;
- running 22.5 firmware
- have rear camera connected (not sure about original poster, but rest have rear cam connected).

So there are varying SD cards being used but the system is still freezing.

This common things I've noticed are;
- running 22.5 firmware
- have rear camera connected (not sure about original poster, but rest have rear cam connected).
I think it's a rear cam issue. I've got an MLC type card on order as recommended by a nextbase technician. They're double the price of a standard card.

Having both cams makes you really need a 128gb. High endurance are so expensive :-(

I have a 128 GB SanDisk ultra. Apparently not a good choice, but it only cost £20 in the sale. It has run for 1 month so far ok.

The reason they're so expensive is because the type of memory they hold is different and more expensive to regular SD. It's this that makes them writable so many times, typically around 3 times that of a non endurance card. If you don't use endurance then it will work fine but it will wear out much quicker and when it does you'll get freezing as sectors of memory become corrupt. Endurance is really the only way to go if you want a long life and reliability from your SD.

As above , it's paramount to have reliability , trouble is too many people are saying with ordinary TLC Nand all good experience so far , it's not the right message and SD card warrany void .

Jacko,
Would you care to share the name of the Nextbase technician who provided the details of the card and where it is available, the price, etc?

Henry,
You say your 'running a Nextbase 32gb card', can to explain how you obtained it please?

Thnak you.

Back