How many miles a year do you drive?

How many miles do you drive a year

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since this is a dash cam forum I'm wondering how many miles everyone drives a year. I would say I do about 30-40,000.

I am under 10,000 miles, probably something like 8000.
Would love to drive more, but early retirement pension are not a gold mine.
Though my little sister that are working she had to sell her car, but she also have one kid still living at home, and she are not in a well paid job as she barely have a school exam and no education like i have several of.

I am under 10,000 miles, probably something like 8000.
Would love to drive more, but early retirement pension are not a gold mine.
Though my little sister that are working she had to sell her car, but she also have one kid still living at home, and she are not in a well paid job as she barely have a school exam and no education like i have several of.

I'm guessing gas is a lot more expensive by you in Denmark? Right now gas is plummeting and is flirting to go under $2 a gallon ($0.53 a liter). My 2017 Focus has a 1.0L Ecoboost and I get 40-50mpg. It's easy for me to drive a ton without breaking the bank but I know if gas were more expensive it would definitely cut into my driving.

Yes ATM the price for the 95 unleaded i use are 6.2 USD for 1 US gallon, but then Denmark are much cleaner and trees love us,,,,,,,, NOT :giggle:
So at those prices it don't matter much i drive a little motorized lunchbox, and do my best to go easy on the pedals, though not much fun in 65 BHP

Dang only 65HP! My Focus is rated at 123HP. It definitely feels underpowered in Texas where everyone drives vehicles with engines like 3-6 times bigger engines and the speed limits are some of the highest in the country. I do love the gas mileage once I get going though.

Yesh seem like Suzuki cant get that much power out of 1000 CCM, or maybe they could if they put a more expensive motor in my little car.
My sisters car was a focus too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Splash
As we Danes also carry some of the steepest taxes on cars and so the most expensive cars, then i have to go cheap buying a car.

I only do about 10,000km a year, I used to do more than that each month, don't miss those days
I too have felt that pain. At one time I was doing well over 30,000 miles a year just commuting to/from work because my employer moved facilities (bought a new car with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty and it was off warranty in 11 months :inpain: ) - now it takes me 3 to 4 years to do the same.

140-150,000 miles a year, but only 5-8000 a year is in a car.
That will change next year, and will happily drop down to 8000 miles a year driving anything.
:)

I once had a job that took me 1 hour to reach in a car, but thankfully it also had long work days so i just worked 11 days every month, and this time of the year i could get 6 hours of sleep on the job ( paid sleep mind you )
We Danes have a tax reduction for traveling to work, its not 1:1 ratio, but it do go some way in chipping in for gas money, so the first 12 km each direction you have to pay for yourself after that you get a small amount in DKkr for each KM traveled that you can deduct from your taxes ( all automated now )

Yo be honest i would rather be without such tax breaks in favor of a smaller public sector ( we Danes have the #2 largest public sector in the world only surpassed by the Norwegians )
And as you know public sectors are slow and usually just hemorrhage money for little return, so a lot of bleeding going on here.

Currently I have enough local work to keep my driven miles in the 20K+ range, but I've had years where I drove 115K miles just to and from my work, with a few K more miles for personal use around town :eek: When you factor in that I need a full-sized van for work with the low fuel mileage those get I sometimes feel like I'm keeping the oil companies in business all by myself :mad:

My mileage deduction on my taxes in the past has been my largest deduction, but of course it doesn't cover my costs fully. This tax year I'm probably going to instead choose to deduct my repair costs instead as those will probably net better numbers for me at tax-time. I'll have to let my accountant crunch the numbers to decide as taxes for the self-employed are a minefield of potential losses unless they're done by a (costly) professional.

Phil

(Edited from 155K to 115K, my bad)

Last edited:
Currently around 25000 miles/year.

Last year it was around 45000, my bankaccount feels the relief. :p

For years it was around 30K miles per year but the last few years more like 9000 miles.

Brian

Currently I have enough local work to keep my driven miles in the 20K+ range, but I've had years where I drove 155K miles just to and from my work, with a few K more miles for personal use around town :eek: When you factor in that I need a full-sized van for work with the low fuel mileage those get I sometimes feel like I'm keeping the oil companies in business all by myself :mad:
Phil

Are you a truck driver or drive professionally. If you drove 155k and did that every single day for 365 days a year, that's 425 miles a day! That's like 7 hours of driving a day if you average 60mph.

8,000km here .... 5,000miles. But then, I also zip around on my 125cc Aprilia Scooter (like Vespa) when doing local shopping to keep the cold start/short trips in my Car down to a minimum. Car takes 91Ron fuel which is high in Sulfur ... so I pay the extra for the better quality and cleaner 95Ron with low Sulfur .... being a bit of a Greenie n all. (y)

Are you a truck driver or drive professionally. If you drove 155k and did that every single day for 365 days a year, that's 425 miles a day! That's like 7 hours of driving a day if you average 60mph.

That should have been 115K- I'll edit it ;) I did bank courier work for part of that year, and it was a crazy year in my normal work too. I darn near lived behind the wheel making drive-through fast-food joints rich in the process :(

Phil

That should have been 115K- I'll edit it ;) I did bank courier work for part of that year, and it was a crazy year in my normal work too. I darn near lived behind the wheel making drive-through fast-food joints rich in the process :(

Phil

Sounds like it. In some ways I could see enjoying this kind of work and driving but I could see it getting old especially when dealing with congestion.

Between 12000-15000 kilometres a year. Takes twice as long or more...

Back