Non-service fee GPS vehicle tracker

mic2134

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know of a totally non-service fee GPS tracker for my vehicle? Something I can buy outright and totally own.

Not sure if this is the right forum but since I'm a member I will give it a shot. Thank you.

What about Apple AirTags?

Usually the paid subscriptions are paid because they have a cell antenna to communicate location info back, and that’s what you’re paying for.

If you don’t wanna pay a monthly fee, you can use a data-less solution like an Apple AirTag. I’ve got one in my car and it works well.

I have no personal experience with any of these devices but perhaps one of them will meet your needs.

Usually the paid subscriptions are paid because they have a cell antenna to communicate location info back, and that’s what you’re paying for.

If you don’t wanna pay a monthly fee, you can use a data-less solution like an Apple AirTag. I’ve got one in my car and it works well.
That makes sense that they would have an antenna communication service to pay for. I thought of the AppleAir Tag before but now that you bring it up I'm going to look into it and if it doesn't meet what I think I might like I just may move forward paying a subscription cost.

Maybe some will chime in later with some added comments on free services.

Apple AirTags start beeping if they are out of range of a paired iPhone for a certain amount of time between eight and 24 hours in order to alert a potential stalking victim that they are being tracked by an AirTag controlled by someone else somewhere in their vicinity. The problem is that this can also alert a criminal that the object or car they have stolen is being tracked. I know there are modified muted AirTags available on eBay and elsewhere but I don't know if Apple has yet addressed this issue in any way. Do you have any info about this? When I first started experimenting with AirTags I put one in my vehicle but it started beeping when I left my truck at my mechanic's garage overnight about 12 or so miles away out of state, so I stopped doing that. My goal was to be able to track my vehicle wherever it might end up but I wouldn't want a potential thief to know they were being tracked.

EDIT: I just found this: "In February 2022, Apple said it would make the chirps more audible, sync them with notifications sent to iPhones and let iPhone owners use Precision Finding to locate rogue AirTags.)" - so the opposite of muting I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah the anti-stalking stuff can work against you in terms of theft recovery, but hopefully you'll notice pretty quickly if your car gets stolen. :) Assuming you do, you can call police and send them directly to your car so that even if the thing starts beeping, you can get your car recovered while they're still close'ish to you.

I've also seen these magnetic AirTags holders that you can insert your AirTag into and then attach to the underside of your vehicle or something. It'll be both visually hidden and hopefully sufficiently audibly muffled to prevent the thief from hearing the beeps. If they have an iPhone I guess they'll still get the "An AirTag is following you" alert and be able to use their phone to locate the thing and then remove it, but it can also help. I don't have one on my car, but it's not a bad idea...

The problem for me was that it freaked out the guys at my mechanic's garage when it started beeping. I trust these guys and they trust me. In fact they know that I always unplug all my dash cams when I bring my truck in because I want them to know that I don't feel I need to spy on them when they're working on my vehicle. I've heard stories from them about how abusive some customers can be about their dash cam spying. One of the guys told me a story about how he disconnected the battery in a fleet truck he was working on so he could do some electrical work and the garage immediately got an angry call from some business executive who was monitoring him in real time via satellite or LTE feed (not sure exactly) and was demanding to know why he had disabled the camera. He told them he had to disconnect the battery to do the work and then said, "Do you want us to do the repair or not?!! " That shut him up. :smuggrin:

The guys are often working on the truck when it is up on a lift, so attaching an AirTag to the undercarriage of the vehicle would not be such a good idea.

This thread got me curious about the subject and so now I've learned that it's not hard at all to remove the speaker from an AirTag if you want a silent one to track a vehicle or item in the event of theft, so I guess if I really want a silent AirTag I could go that route.

I've learned that Apple has reduced the time until an AirTag begins beeping when away from the owner's iPhone, so I decided to try removing the speaker from one of my AirTags so I can track my vehicle without alerting anyone other than me who may be working on it or driving it.

It couldn't be easier. The entire process took less than 60 seconds start to finish. People have been known to be selling modified speaker-less AirTags on eBay for as much as 80 bucks! So, my AirTag will now go into the map/storage pocket built into the back of the driver's seat. I'm now curious to see how well it can track. If the range is limited from being inside the cab I may move it to one of the storage compartments built into my truck's bed and perhaps put it into a waterproof plastic container. These are commercially available but it would be easy to fabricate my own. Obviously, an AirTag will never be as capable as a GPS tracker for monitoring a vehicle but since they work using Apple's Find MY network that employs BlueTooth and ultra wideband U1 technology to connect to any Apple device within the vicinity it should be pretty good at keeping tabs on the AirTag's location considering the sheer number of Apple devices in use. There is speculation that AirTags use Bluetooth 5.0 which would give them a maxium range of 800 feet but I am skeptical that the range would be that great in practice. Still, this should work well and I'm curious to see just how well it works the next time I can't find my vehicle in a shopping mall parking lot. :smuggrin:

Interestingly, the AirTag still makes alert sounds without the speaker installed but the sound is barely audible unless you hold it right up to your ear where you can detect the coil attempting to generate sounds without a speaker.

Last edited:
I don't think there such a thing. A tracker must connect to some kind of service to be able to transmit the position. Unless you are using one of the free ISM bands in which case the range and battery life will be a problem.

I have a £30 year sim card not free but works for me.

Yes, there are several GPS trackers available in the market that you can buy outright and own without any service fees. These types of GPS trackers generally work on a one-time payment model and don't require a subscription or service fee to keep them operational.

Here are some examples of non-service fee GPS trackers:

1. Vyncs GPS Tracker - This is a popular GPS tracker that doesn't require any monthly or yearly fees. You can buy it outright and own it forever. It comes with a 3G wireless connection and provides real-time GPS tracking, location history, and geofencing features.
  2. Spy Tec STI GL300 GPS Tracker - This GPS tracker offers real-time location updates, geofencing, and location history. It is a one-time payment device and does not require any additional subscription fees.
  3. Optimus GPS Tracker - This GPS tracker provides real-time location tracking, geofencing, and location history. It is also a one-time payment device and does not require any monthly or yearly fees.
  4. Amcrest GPS Tracker - This GPS tracker offers real-time tracking, location history, and geofencing features. It works on a one-time payment model and does not require any additional fees.
It is important to note that while these GPS trackers do not require any monthly or yearly fees, they may still require a data plan for the GPS tracking to work. This data plan may be a one-time payment or a recurring payment depending on the provider. It's always a good idea to check with the manufacturer or provider for any additional fees or requirements before purchasing a GPS tracker.
Does anyone know of a totally non-service fee GPS tracker for my vehicle? Something I can buy outright and totally own.

Not sure if this is the right forum but since I'm a member I will give it a shot. Thank you.

Yeah, the TKSTAR 915 is mentioned, along with a number of its competitors in the article I posted a link to earlier in this thread.

I think this is a good approach and it is one I would probably choose if I were in the market for true GPS vehicle tracking with no monthly fee.

Last edited:
I think the main differences bw AirTag and GPS/SIM mobile based trackers are:
  • AirTag might not show you the actual position, only the last known one that depends on other device where the other device needs some sort of network connectivity (mobile, wifi)
  • AirTag needs a compatible device in a few meters (distance of the Bluetooth comm) to report the position. That's mostly only Apple devices, although Android app is available, it's install basement is very low. Plus even Apple device users are tend to turn this off because of privacy reasons
  • The GPS/SIM trackers don't depend on other device like AirTag, but they only communicate over mobile network (e.g. no wifi)
  • The GPS/SIM tracker can be asked to report its position on-demand (e.g. SMS, Call) or can be set to continuously (e.g. every 30 seconds) share position (e.g. over GPRS or other mobile data connection)
Need to decide if you are fine with AirTag (e.g. you already have an Apple device) and can go with zero monthly service fee (other than your own mobile).
If need a real GPS tracker than you can go with one of the above devices (and there might be much more on the market) and a low-cost SIM contract. This way you can query the actual position with an SMS or Call (some of them can send back an SMS to you with a position plus a link to GoogleMaps)

You can also go for a GPS Tracker that can also continuously report the position in a well-supported format over network. Not necessary to use on day one, but good to have an option to upgrade. It can be good to have a track recorded before the car goes out of mobile service coverage or parks into an underground garage loosing the GPS signals.
To avoid high service fees you can host your own instance of the system (e.g. traccar) in one of the cloud service provides (e.g. AWS) if you are techie enough. Just make sure the trackers are configured to report position with a frequency that generates no more traffic that is included in the SIM contract.

As I mentioned a few months ago I initially experimented with an AirTag in my truck and it didn't quite work out but as a result of this thread I started experimenting with the Apple AirTag again after removing the speaker to track my vehicle and so far after a couple of months I've been very pleased with the results. Basically, I can say that it works well and is worth doing. No service fees of course beyond the price of the AirTag which was on sale at Amazon for $27.00.

In April, I had a problem with my truck that required a lot of road testing at my mechanic's garage and they gave me a loaner vehicle for a couple of days. I broke a strut and damaged an axle after hitting a really deep pothole full of water towards the end of winter on the rough mountain road I live on. The shop is about 12 or so miles away over in New Hampshire. Using my iPhone I could easily track the whereabouts of the truck at the garage and when one of the mechanics was out road testing it. It was my first major test with this thing and it was really kind of cool as I otherwise use AirTags only to keep track of my house keys and wallet. The AirTag is said to not be as fast or accurate as a dedicated GPS tracker but it works pretty well and it was easy to locate my truck and follow it on the "Find My" app map on my iPhone.

This first thing I did when I got this AirTag was to remove the speaker so that it won't alert anyone that it is there if I am not around. Initially, I had the AirTag hidden in the map pocket on the back of the driver's seat. Recently, I did an upgrade that is giving me greater BlueTooth range as the Airtag is no longer inside the metal cab of the truck. Now, I can often (but not always) locate the truck in the parking lot of a big box store if I should happen to forget where I parked. Sometimes this will depend on if someone with an iPhone is within range of the AirTag as to how far away I can track the truck but with billions of iPhones out there, there's usually somebody around. The near field direction finding location capability (NFC) works via Bluetooth and that will only work within 10 meters but once you get within that range your phone will point you right to whatever AirTag you are looking for. It's like a game of "hot & cold" as your phone tells you if you are getting closer or going in the wrong direction.

I purchased a waterproof case for the AirTag on AliExpress for $3.50. It's really designed for use on a dog collar but it can be used any way you like. It is well made and very rugged with a rubber gasket and four heavy duty hex screws for closure that screw into brass fittings. It comes with a little hex wrench and straps with screws to attach the case to a dog collar but I didn't use those.

I mounted it inside one of the small compartments in the walls of my truck bed on the "ceiling" of the compartment using 3M VHB tape. It is secure and hard to find as the compartment has a door on it and it and I keep it full of bungie cords. Like I said, it now has better range than when it was in a the map pocket in the back of the driver's seat inside the cab and the AirTag is very well hidden.

arirtagcase.jpg

Last edited:
As I mentioned a few months ago I was going to put an AirTag in my truck, so as a result of this thread I started experimenting with an Apple AirTag to track my vehicle and so far after a couple of months I've been very pleased with the results. Basically, I can say that it works well and is worth doing. No service fees of course beyond the price of the AirTag which was on sale at Amazon for $27.00.

In April, I had a problem with my truck that required a lot of road testing at my mechanic's garage and they gave me a loaner vehicle for a couple of days. The shop is about 12 or so miles away over in New Hampshire. Using my iPhone I could easily track the whereabouts of the truck at the garage and when one of the mechanics was out road testing it. It was my first major test with this thing and it was really kind of cool as I otherwise use AirTags to keep track of my house keys and wallet. The AirTag is said to not be as fast or accurate as a dedicated GPS tracker but it works pretty well and it was easy to locate my truck and follow it on the "Find My" app map on my iPhone.

This first thing I did when I got this AirTag was to remove the speaker so that it won't alert anyone that it is there if I am not around. Initially, I had the AirTag hidden in the map pocket on the back of the driver's seat. Recently, I did an upgrade that is giving me greater BlueTooth range as the Airtag is no longer inside the metal cab of the truck. Now, I can often (but not always) locate the truck in the parking lot of a big box store if I should happen to forget where I parked. Sometimes this will depend on if someone with an iPhone is within range of the AirTag as to how far away I can track the truck but with billions of iPhones out there, there's usually somebody around. The near field direction finding location capability works via Bluetooth and that will only work within 10 meters but once you get within that range your phone will point you right to whatever AirTag you are looking for. It's like a game of "hot & cold" as your phone tells you if you are getting closer or going in the wrong direction.

I purchase a waterproof case for the AirTag on AliExpress for $3.50. It's really designed for use on a dog collar but it can be used any way you like. It is well made and very rugged with a rubber gasket and four heavy duty hex screws for closure that screw into brass fittings. It comes with a little hex wrench and straps with screws to attach the case to a dog collar but I didn't use those.

I mounted it inside one of the small compartments in the walls of my truck bed on the "ceiling" of the compartment using 3M VHB tape. It is secure and hard to find. Like I said, it now has better range than when it was in a the map pocket in the back of the driver's seat inside the cab.

View attachment 65909
I have to look into this when my "Remote Services" contract expires. I hear Google is coming out with their own tag so when they do I can put both of them in :)

I have to look into this when my "Remote Services" contract expires. I hear Google is coming out with their own tag so when they do I can put both of them in :)
You'll need an iPhone to get the full functionality of the AirTag, although I hear Apple came out with an app that allows you to use it on Android. I assume you'll need an Android phone for the Google tag to work if you want to use both.

You'll need an iPhone to get the full functionality of the AirTag, although I hear Apple came out with an app that allows you to use it on Android. I assume you'll need an Android phone for the Google tag to work if you want to use both.
Yep, wife uses iPhone and I have an Android (Pixel)

Back