Even with Power Magic my 2003 Honda battery has died 4 times

Roger from Orlando

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 2003 Honda Accord with a year old battery. I installed the blackVue 550 and the Power Magic pro. I have had two knowledgeable electrical mechanics install and then check and make some changes to the Power Magic installation, but after two days the battery dies. My battery has died four times. It is easily started with a jump. Any ideas as to our mistake or has this happened to your car? I like the park function but I am ready to get rid of it and just record while driving; but I don't want to do that!

the 12v and 11.8v are for small cars and the upper end volts are for large cars and trucks with bigger batteries. Therefore, the 12 or 11.8 I believe is correct for a 2003 Honda????

the 12v and 11.8v are for small cars and the upper end volts are for large cars and trucks with bigger batteries. Therefore, the 12 or 11.8 I believe is correct for a 2003 Honda????

it's all it offers, but 12v is too low for a lot of vehicles, you've found that out already

it supports 12v or 24v operation, the 12v setting though is too low for a lot of vehicles and the car won't start, you found this out already, there's no other setting that's suitable, won't work with your car

Why do you want it on for 24 hrs If you have it on for the period you dont drive the car is more sensible.

EG get home at 6 pm go to work at 7am have it on for 12hours Then it will come on again when you are at work (if you do ) and the battery will have had a kick in between

12v is fine for an Accord. I have it set for my Maxima and it's been fine for over a year and I keep my car parked for a week to two weeks at a time. Take a photo of for DIP switches for us and upload it. Something doesn't sound right.

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with a year old battery. I installed the blackVue 550 and the Power Magic pro. I have had two knowledgeable electrical mechanics install and then check and make some changes to the Power Magic installation, but after two days the battery dies. My battery has died four times. It is easily started with a jump. Any ideas as to our mistake or has this happened to your car? I like the park function but I am ready to get rid of it and just record while driving; but I don't want to do that!

The PMP is a faulty unit, please return to your supplier for replacement.

Sorry for the necropost, but I too am having this issue. My 2011 Nissan Maxima has died 3 times (latest being this morning). I've verified that I have the BAT and IGN terminals connected properly to always-on and ignition-only fuses respectively. There is no problem with the device powering on, but it is not ever shutting off. My switches are configured as follows:
jfIgyxk.jpg

According to the manual, this should kill the power below 11.8v or 12 hours have elapsed. It does not. The multi-boot button is on (1), but even with it off (0) the camera still has power.

Consider this Turn car on at 7 am to go to work turn car off at 0755 camera will stay on till 755pm Go home at 630pm camera will stay on till 0630.

Effectively will never turn off. 11.8 is too low anyway. 12v is better. Also get the battery checked with the weather in the USA atm I bet batteries are dieing with the cold by the thousand

Lastly turn the switch off on the PMP and see if the camera turns off. If it doesnt the PMP is probably faulty

I would wire the camera directly off the ACC fuse and see what happens Thats just me though doing whats a logical way of eliminating faults

I have mine set for 12v but only on for an hour for when I am shopping Car is only used about once every two weeks and camera hast run the battery flat yet

Thanks for the response. I'm in the SoCal region of the USA, so our weather is about 19C right now. :)

In any case, it does not shut off when the switch is off, so I've either screwed up the wiring by connecting the ACC wire to something that is not actually ACC or the device itself is faulty (I've ordered a replacement to test it out). I'm going to do some more testing at home later. I did ohmmeter testing before tapping the fuses when I first installed it.

Btw-- the manual that I found online only lists 11.6V and 11.8V as the two 12v settings. I'm at the higher of the two.

If it doesnt shut off when you turn the switch off it must be faulty Does the green light go out when you turn it off on the switch. IT should.

Get a multimeter and try the contacts in the ciggy socket for current Then disconnect one wire at a time from the fuse Are you sure they are the correct way around as if you put the acc one on perm power it will never turn off.

Back