sd or micro sd with adapter?

jimjones

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm looking at getting a new sd card for my itb-100hd, I was thinking of getting a micro sd with adapter but am worried about the adapter in extreme heat. Has anyone had any experience with this or does anyone know of an adapter with high heat rating? I am looking at the sandisk extreme 64gb micro sd.
Any help would be appreciated.

the MicroSD cards don't dissipate heat very well when used in an adapter, for our models that take full size cards we always recommend full size cards only

Well that is annoying as the microSD and adapter is less expensive than the full size SD. Also the microSD can be used on so many other devices.

I would think you should want to have your memory card in the camera rather than in other devices

Of course but when I eventually update the camera, there may be no need for the sd card anymore. I'm sure the newer cameras will move to micro sd as all the other devices seem to be doing nowadays. I'm just thinking ahead, although I may be wrong.

Coming from an electronics background I would concur with jokiin - a bigger surface area makes for better heat dissipation, which in the hostile environment of parked cars in the middle of summer is a real issue.

Another even more important consideration are connection points, which usually are always the weakest link in electronic products and one tries to keep them to an absolute minimum. Using an SD card adaptor means that the MicroSD card connects to the adapter which then connects with another set of contacts to the dash cam itself. Just doubled the chance of failure! Vibrations, corrosion, humidity and heat are the ENEMY of all connections.

So what is our recommended card for 100HD?

I was set on the transcend high endurance but they seem only available in micro

Sandisk extreme?

image.jpeg @vibeone
I personally decided to go with the Lexar 633x, because they have MLC technology which is said to be much more resilient to repeated overwrites than the cheaper TLC SD cards. Also, they do come in the full size form factor which is an important factor to me.

I went for the 64GB capacity as they seem the best compromise between slower boot times (compared to lower capacity ones) and still give a good total recording time. I have even tried a 128GB card which to my surpise worked just fine, but the boot time became too slow (over 300 secs) once the card was fully loaded with recordings.

Back