Tighter field of view

Pecktec

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every dashcam I've used makes everything look much farther away than it actually is. I want footage that looks more real. Does anybody know how I might search for a dashcam that has a tighter field of view?

if you want the distance perspective to look more true to life you'll need a very narrow lens angle, the challenge is you'll miss out on most of the peripheral information, would be like having tunnel vision, you'll get a great view of the vehicle that hits you, you might not have much in the way of detail on where it came from though

Yeah.
When you get to lenses that make footage like you "see it with your own eyes" you run into a few problems.

First off if you have a lens that make you read license plates as far off in the footage as you can do in the moment with your own eyes, then you have a lens that have a pretty narrow FOV.

I find that a 6 - 8 mm lens work good for me in this regard, but they have so narrow FOV ( less than 90 degrees ) that i would never rely on a camera like that alone.

I even feel on such a camera i have a higher chance of capturing a plate on a oncoming car than with the regular wide angle lenses, so in short i like it and are sad my camera with the 8 mm lens stopped working, so ATM i am planning on getting a better lens to put on another camera.

Back