F50 Initial Impressions

WA3PNT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750/770 Firmware (Dual), X550 (Dual) and a F50
Received my F50, GPS, and Hardwire Kit today.

It fired up without incident, on the workbench. I've not installed in the vehicle yet as I'm awaiting a CPL Filter that might work on the F50

Comments:
1. I like the voice prompts, that indicate that it is Continuous Recording, GPS is acquired, Microphone is ON or OFF when changed, Event Recording has started (when G-Sensor detects a jolt).
2. The GPS acquires quickly, and I'm still evaluating the accuracy.
3. The Thinkware Dashcam Viewer works flawlessly. It also prompts for Viewer upgrades as well as Firmware upgrades on the Cam. Upgrades can be performed using the Viewer and also work flawlessly.
4. I formatted a 32GB SD Card in Fat32, copied the "Settings" folder to the card, and the Cam accepted it and retained all the settings.
5. The 10 second recording prior to an event is a feature that I definitely wanted, and works as advertised.

So far, very pleased with the operation of the Cam and Software. Next step is to connect via the Hardware Kit and check Parking operation.

Reserving opinion on video quality until I have it installed in the truck.

RodeoGeorge

I have a question for Thinkware, or any F50 guru.
When I upgraded the F50 Firmware from 1.00.01 to 1.00.03 using the viewer application, it also downloaded and installed the "smartguidepoint.dx2" file into the driveinfo folder.
When I format the SD card using the viewer application it of course erases all the video files, but it also erases the driveinfo folder and the .dx2 file.
When the newly formatted SD card is used in the F50, the F50 creates all the folders for the videos, and the driveinfo folder. However there is no .dx2 file in the driveinfo folder.

Must the "smartguidepoint.dx2" file be copied back into the driveinfo folder after a format, or is this data stored in the F50?

RodeoGeorge

I may have answered my question.

I downloaded the latest smartguidepoint.dx2 file and copied it into the driveinfo folder on the SD Card.
I inserted the SD Card in the F50 and powered the F50 on.
I received the normal voice prompt that continuous recording was starting.
I powered down the F50, removed the SD Card and viewed the contents on my computer.
The smartguidepoint.dx2 fle is no longer on the SD Card, so my assumption (yes, I know what that stands for) is that the data is read into the F50.

RodeoGeorge

Second round of testing.

My truck (RAM 3500 Cab&Chassis) has OEM GPS.
I have a Garmin Nuvi3790 in the truck (do not like the OEM navigation).
I also have a Whistler 9500ix Radar Detector that uses GPS.

When I installed a cheap Dashcam in the truck, there was severe interference with the Garmin Nuvi3790, to the point where it lost satellite lock.

I did a temporary mount of the F50 in the truck today, and NO interference on any of the other GPS systems. So that's a relief.

The CPL Filter has shipped from HINKO, and I'm anxious to see if it fits the F50. Then, one way or another, I'll complete the installation in the truck.

RodeoGeorge

I performed some tests on the F50 with regards to the Low Voltage turnoff, and the Timeout functions.

Setting the Low Voltage Cutoff to 12.3V, entering the Parking Mode, and reducing the battery input voltage to 11.9V resulted in the F50 turning off after 5 minutes.

The delay of 5 minutes would circumvent and transient voltage drops (dome light coming on, etc.).

I also tested the 6 Hour Timeout, and found it to operate as described.

RodeoGeorge

I bought an F50 maybe a month ago. I saw where u just plug it into a 12v plug and it works. Thinkware dashcams work with mac computers and that was a deal maker too. I have been wanting a dash cam for years. I've seen some crazy stuff while driving on the streets and freeways of Houston, Texas where I live. I have a 2007 chevy malibu, which is my main ride, and a 2007 ford ranger pickup. I have the F50 in the malibu.

My use of the f50 dash cam has been crude so far. I need to stash the wires. I also need a hardwire kit, and the gps antenna. I tried to download and use the thinkware viewer, but I haven't figured out how yet. I will. I take the 32gb sd microchip and holder and put it in the mac, and then view the video via quicktime. I uploaded one video to youtube. It was nothing special.

I love gadgets. The f50 dash cam is my favorite gadget to play with right now. I am thinking about now getting a rear dashcam to watch the road behind me. I'm thinking about the f770 with a rear camera and putting it in the car, and move the f50 to the truck. We shall see. There are cheaper ways of having dual cameras though. I'm still learning. I've seen some video of stuff happening near my car while I was in the store. I've got to develop that aspect some more.
I have a single unit garmin nuvi gps and I just got a single din head unit for the car, a JVC. I hear music by Tupac and Hendrix when I look at the dashcam videos. Or what ever else I listen too. I just joined this forum. More later. It's 4am, going back to sleep. Peace.

I bought an F50 maybe a month ago. I saw where u just plug it into a 12v plug and it works. Thinkware dashcams work with mac computers and that was a deal maker too. I have been wanting a dash cam for years. I've seen some crazy stuff while driving on the streets and freeways of Houston, Texas where I live. I have a 2007 chevy malibu, which is my main ride, and a 2007 ford ranger pickup. I have the F50 in the malibu.

My use of the f50 dash cam has been crude so far. I need to stash the wires. I also need a hardwire kit, and the gps antenna. I tried to download and use the thinkware viewer, but I haven't figured out how yet. I will. I take the 32gb sd microchip and holder and put it in the mac, and then view the video via quicktime. I uploaded one video to youtube. It was nothing special.

I love gadgets. The f50 dash cam is my favorite gadget to play with right now. I am thinking about now getting a rear dashcam to watch the road behind me. I'm thinking about the f770 with a rear camera and putting it in the car, and move the f50 to the truck. We shall see. There are cheaper ways of having dual cameras though. I'm still learning. I've seen some video of stuff happening near my car while I was in the store. I've got to develop that aspect some more.
I have a single unit garmin nuvi gps and I just got a single din head unit for the car, a JVC. I hear music by Tupac and Hendrix when I look at the dashcam videos. Or what ever else I listen too. I just joined this forum. More later. It's 4am, going back to sleep. Peace.

Welcome @kountzer to the Forum.

A very wise decision for an entry level Dashcam to see what can be done and "play around" with one.
It sounds like you've been bitten by the Dashcam Bug, and will be going Dual (Front & Rear) with your next purchase.
I've found the Thinkware Dashcams to be very reliable, and suit my needs perfectly.
You will really like the Dashcam Viewer when you get it working on your Mac. And the GPS unit will make a big difference in that you will be able to see your vehicle speed and location on the Viewer.

I am going to replace one of my F50s with a X550 later this week, just to see how the X550 compares to the F750/F770. That will be in my truck, where I'm not concerned about the installation being stealth. When I do that, I'm going to post my F50 w/GPS in the For Sale section.

Again welcome to the Forum.

RodeoGeorge

Back