Camera not recording - Missing footage, short clips on Memory card

Junior76

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750
If this was asked, I apologize. I did a search but I didn't find anything relating to this. I have the 750 model with the rear camera attached.

I noticed this last week, I wanted to pull continuous footage off the memory card after driving around town, but noticed quite a few missing clips for both front and rear. Basically it doesn't look like it recorded at all, missing footage.I would always have 1 minute clips, then it would record another 1 minute and so on....I'm noticing a video for 19 seconds, even a few as short as 3 seconds.

I formatted the card, didn't seem to fix the issue. I have missing footage today again when I checked.
Firmware is up to date, is there a setting in the app I'm not aware of? Not sure what's happening.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

No, I have that setting turned off, where I park it caused a ton of false alarms (leaves, people walking by, cars *driving by, etc).
It only operates when I drive, turns off when I park the car.

are you using the original card?

cos the camera is rather picky with what it let's you stick into it.
(kinda like my.. NO!, that joke's too easy....)

I'm not sure about this, but are there any "Incident" recordings made at the times of the missing sections?

If there is an Incident (like a bump in the road that activates the Incident recording) that section of video may be in that folder.

I'm not sure that when there is an Incident it records to both folders.

RodeoGeorge

are you using the original card?

cos the camera is rather picky with what it let's you stick into it.
(kinda like my.. NO!, that joke's too easy....)

I'm not sure about this, but are there any "Incident" recordings made at the times of the missing sections?

If there is an Incident (like a bump in the road that activates the Incident recording) that section of video may be in that folder.

I'm not sure that when there is an Incident it records to both folders.

RodeoGeorge

Only had a few clips of Incident clips, I turned that setting down because of the wonderful potholes around here. Every slight bump would record an "incident."

I was thinking it MIGHT be the card, It's a 128gb SanDisk I picked up at BestBuy. (I still have the original) But I never had an issue with it, only noticed this skipping problem after I hooked up the rear camera. - Yeah I know memory cards can do goofy things without rhyme or reason. I format it every 10 days I guess.

I also thought since I have the rear camera hooked up to the front cam now..is this a possible power / voltage issue? Not enough power to the front cam AND real, causing some skipping. I notice in my playback the voltage will jump from 12.6V - 13.0V.
(Beats me - I'm not too knowledgeable in volts - I hardwired this...I'm shocked I got that part right...lol)
Maybe thats something I have to adjust in the app? Again, no idea...just something that popped into my head.

3IhFRUE.png

I actually forgot all about it until I saw the replies (Thanks by the way!)

I was thinking it MIGHT be the card, It's a 128gb SanDisk I picked up at BestBuy. (I still have the original) But I never had an issue with it, only noticed this skipping problem after I hooked up the rear camera. - Yeah I know memory cards can do goofy things without rhyme or reason. I format it every 10 days I guess.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about the SanDisk micro SD Cards. I've never tried one of them.
I use the LEXAR 633x Cards exclusively, and have not had a problem. I have 64GB Cards in my two F50s, and a 128GB Card in my F750 (which is running the F770 Firmware.
I have a X550 (Front & Rear) inbound, and have ordered a LEXAR 128GB for it. I will report whether I encounter any problems.

As to the voltage variations, they do not appear to be that radical. There will be variations when various components in the car activate and deactivate.
The Thinkware Dashcams do not immediately react to voltage drops. When I've tested my Dashcams for the Low Voltage Cutoff, I found that they continued to operate for about 5 minutes after the low voltage threshold was reached. In fact at first I thought the function wasn't working. I was to impatient, and when I waited they shut off.

RodeoGeorge

I was thinking it MIGHT be the card, It's a 128gb SanDisk I picked up at BestBuy

Exact same thing happened to me with my Sandisk Ultra card, every second file would be incomplete. I'm pretty sure it cant keep up with the writes.

Sandisk is a poor choice for many dashcams anyway. The F750/F770 prefers the Samsung EVO+ 128gb or Lexar x633 128gb.

test with original card to see if issue persists..

Personally i never had problems with sandisk (have f750 & f770dual, both with 128gb)

Cool, thanks for the replies! I will try a different memory card. This is actually the first SanDisk card I purchased (It was on sale at Best Buy last Summer for $29.99. 128gb for that price, the speed heck why not)
The cards I usually use in my Canon cameras are Lexar, those I have never has a problem with. I've read good things about the Samsung EVO cards on here so I'll look into them also.

I do have to remove my memory card right now, I have to take my car in tomorrow morning for brakes. Simply put, I remove anything and everything that has value in my car. - well except the dash cams, I'll notice if they are swiped when my car is finished.
Few years ago some loser swiped a few things out of my center console during car inspection.. ugh

Exact same thing happened to me with my Sandisk Ultra card, every second file would be incomplete. I'm pretty sure it cant keep up with the writes.

Yeah this is the UltraCard, I couldn't remember what I had to be honest. Just checked the files...the problem is still there. Missing footage or clips that run 4-8-10 seconds.

3GTlFO8.png

Last edited:
I spoke too soon about the reliability of the LEXAR 633X 128GB.
Today the F750/F770 was not able to write to the Card.
Checking the Card on the computer showed a defective section about midway on the Card.
The Card has been in the Dashcam since 8/16.
I've opened a RMA with LEXAR. Let's see how they support their Warranty.

RodeoGeorge

it's strange, i've got 128 ultra (not plus) in both cameras, seemingly without problems.
then again i hardly ever check the footage (only manual recordings), so now you got me doubting!
Shall check asap.
I take it the camera does not give an error message when it can't write to the card?

it's strange, i've got 128 ultra (not plus) in both cameras, seemingly without problems.
then again i hardly ever check the footage (only manual recordings), so now you got me doubting!
Shall check asap.
I take it the camera does not give an error message when it can't write to the card?

Definitely check it if your recording two channel.

I didn't get any errors and the file sizes looked correct (80MB).. but if you playback the video its corrupted and you only get a few seconds of recording.

I'm not convinced that the dashcam prefers any brand over another, its more likely that some individual cards are worse than others (i.e. manufacturing variations), or they may not be what they seem. Personally I have never had trouble with Sandisk but have had problems with Lexar. A few years ago I got stung with a counterfeit card for a camcorder. The 32GB card only had 4GB real memory inside. So ever since then I test every card I buy with tool that will fill the card with dummy files and report the read/write speed. That's how I quickly found another counterfeit card when I purchased a camcorder for my daughter. Both were bought at Currys/PC World (for non UK members that's our biggest electrical retailer, akin to BestBuy in the US). The card was branded Lexar, in full retail packaging...

checked, and can confirm all is well -

I agree with dippy. even on amazon there are counterfeits. (That is, if you don't buy from amazon themselves, but a 3rd party)
and the reviews are not always an indication either, as they are about the product in general, not the product bought from a specific seller.

And don't get me started about EBAY...

Definitely check it if your recording two channel.

I didn't get any errors and the file sizes looked correct (80MB).. but if you playback the video its corrupted and you only get a few seconds of recording.

I never got an error sound, any indication something was wrong.
That's what I couldn't figure out, all files run "84mb" (front and rear videos) Now when I bring the videos up, some of the videos run 1min, 1 sec, then I have many that only show 4 seconds, 7 seconds, 18, 19. Random small clips. (Pic attached)

I got my car back from the shop, so I'm going to try this again with a new 32gb EVO card I picked up today.
Smaller in size compared to my 128 SanDisk which kind of stinks..but if it works..Cool!

*** As for picking up memory cards on Amazon, and yes especially Ebay.
No question, beware of the counterfeit junk! I learned my lesson a few years ago with that.

sop1k7H.png

Well, I purchased two new LEXAR 633x 128GB Cards. One from AMAZON (shipped and sold by AMAZON) and one from NEWEGG.

Neither of these cards will work in either the F750 (with F770 Firmware) or the X500 (with X550 Firmware).

I have RMA'd the original LEXAR to LEXAR. They will probably replace it with a new 633x, however that will most likely be a problem.

The original 633x that I had was a LSDMI128B1NL633R. There is a "newer" model of the card which is a LSDMI128BBNL633A.

The two Cards that I ordered which will not work are the latter (newer) models.

It is interesting that AMAZON has the older model available, however the new model is $45, and the older model is $100+

I'm ordering a Sansdisk Extreme (95MB/s read and 60MB/s write) and a PNY Pro Elite (95MB/s read and 90MB/s write) to see if either will work.

I'll update when they arrive and I test them.

I have a Thinkware F750 single channel, has stopped recording, only makes a few videos of 5 seconds and stops recording, I have formatted and installed the original memory 16 gb Thinkware, foreseeing memory problems, in addition the I reinstalled the latest firmware version 1.00.24, but none of this has worked. Also has changed the date and time, I am in UTC-5, for more that I try, it does not take the current time and date.

I appreciate in advance the help you can give me.

The truth is that I think the F750 was the best, I do not think the same thing, you can help me, and advise me, another dashcam, that has similar characteristics, and be reliable, since I do not live in the USA, and I have to Import it.

Thank you so much

Juan

Back