User Opinions on the Nextbase Duo

TheJimReaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.
I've read a lot of reviews about the Nextbase Duo, all of which give it a high rating. But I would like to hear from a consumers point of view rather than someone who reviews things for a living. (If that makes sense!).
What do you think of it? Value for money? Ease of use, Quality, etc, etc,
Thanks
Jim

what are the features or functions that you like about this product?

dual 720p is probably a bit dated these days but depending on your intended purpose as to how suitable that might or might not be

I've never used this dash cam, but I looked at one in Halfords a few months ago.

It looked like a huge camera to have in your windscreen. It's certainly not discreet.

Also I'm not sure that the rear cam would be much use as its looking through the car and it's view would be severely restricted (by occupants and headrests).

You want your rear camera to be on or close to your rear window.

I'm new to dash cams so I was looking for something that had good reviews at a reasonable price. This particular model had all the features I wanted, plus I liked the idea of both cams being part of the same unit. The rear cam has a 50m zoom so if you don't want the interior of you car being recorded you can zoom in a bit.

I'm not to bothered about it being discreet, although I don't want it being to big so it starts obstructing my view through the windscreen.

I know there are lots of different makes and models out there, and it can be a bit confusing. The Nextbase Duo seemed to ticked all the boxes for what I wanted. If there's a better cam out there then I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers

Jim

The customer service from Tiffany at Nextbase is first class, BUT sadly quality control is diabolical, I own FIVE nextbase cams and will not use them, they all cook/break batteries on a routine basis, they freeze, change date, change time, turn off, don't turn on, change other settings esp sound on/off, image quality at 720p NOT good, personally I won't even sell my nextbase cams as can't be relied on, when battery goes duff it doesn't shut down correctly killing the last saved file, the one you want in an accident, considering the price of the duo, the problems nextbase suffer from there are way better cams out there, I chose one that doesn't use a battery at all, it is hardwired and as such records even whilst parked, 24/7 always there for you, reliably, I prefer the thinkware F770, separate front/rear cams a doddle to fit, uses capacitors for reliability, the blackvue dr650 is another2 channel cam worth a look, yes a little bit more money, have a look for nextbase + battery + problem.
Another thing I wanted was a cam out of my line of vision so it sits flat on screen behind mirror 100% hidden from drivers seat can't even see power leads, it talks to you to tell you it is starting that "GPS is connected" etc, "continuous recording will now start"
The trouble with magazine features is they are all new products, testing say after 2 years as a follow up would be nice, my experience of nextbase cams is they have some ace features nice intuitive to use, good job with the attention they need, but no long term quality.

The trouble with magazine features is they are all new products, testing say after 2 years as a follow up would be nice

This is a problem with many reviews, articles, and even some highly-acclaimed reviewers :( Anything better than junk will usually do OK when new, but the REAL test is extended time in the hands of people who do not treat the item in question with loving care as they should. That aspect is why DCT is so valuable as we've got all kinds of people and climates and cars so that if there is a problem or a solution to a problem it will get found and discussed :D Yet even in this enlightened internet age, too many people don't do their research but buy based on how many stars they see instead :oops:

Wish I knew more about Nextbase but I don't, and TBH what I do see is all warning signs to me. I'd be very wary and do extra research with this one :rolleyes:

Phil

So if Nextbase is one to avoid, what would people suggest for around £100 - £150 price range.
I want front and rear cameras, GPS, G-Sensor, Good quality video night and day. It needs to be easy to install and uninstall as we change our car every 3 yrs.
Not to bothered about Wi-Fi as I'll use the SD card to transfer video should I need to. I'm not to bothered about it being discreet or hidden away, so size isn't that much of a concern as long as it doesn't block my view out of the windows.

Cheers
Jim

Hi @TheJimReaper

I'll try and stay neutral and just clear a few things up for you:D.

The DUO can't change the zoom; its preset and does get quite a good long view out of the rear of the car. We have a DUO HD coming out later this year which has had a complete redesign.

As others have mentioned it can be better (and cheaper) to have two separate cameras.

We have a whole host of new dash cams which have a completely different design (inside and out). I would urge you to take a look at what is available on our website/reviews of our new models.

Regards

So if Nextbase is one to avoid, what would people suggest for around £100 - £150 price range.
I want front and rear cameras, GPS, G-Sensor, Good quality video night and day. It needs to be easy to install and uninstall as we change our car every 3 yrs.
Not to bothered about Wi-Fi as I'll use the SD card to transfer video should I need to. I'm not to bothered about it being discreet or hidden away, so size isn't that much of a concern as long as it doesn't block my view out of the windows.

Cheers
Jim

Given today's cam choices, to get all you want will cost you more than your stated budget. Good low-light sensors are only now becoming commonly found in lower priced cams and similar can be said for GPS. G-sensor doesn't work well in most lower-priced cams either.

You'll need to compromise somewhere. Here's some of my thoughts on features which might help you choose better ;) GPS isn't needed in a dashcam; a time/distance measurement of the vids will more precisely show speeds and location is also easily found unless you're in a desert or the tundra where there are no landmarks. It might be handy to show your speed to the police on a crash scene but that is it's only real virtue in a dashcam. And if you did happen to be speeding it can and will be used against you :eek: G-sensor can save the last vid clip in a crash where you are incapacitated and can't turn the cam off, but a crash which is that severe will likely kill the power in your car anyway giving you the same thing without it. If it is set too sensitive, rough roads and bumps can fill your SD card with locked files then the cam will stop recording :( It is needed for cams doing parking mode, otherwise it's best turned off. Dual-channel cams have a limited bitrate which affects vid quality in some circumstances, and most of them use a lower-resolution rear cam (especially the budget-priced ones) :oops: The only real advantage with them is that most have a small rear cam and the SD card is easier to access for rear vid footage.

All I want my cams to do is to be 100% reliable and to give me the best vids possible day and night. Since my budget is limited the only way I can get this is using separate cams instead of a dual-channel cam. The other features I can live without :cool: Having said that, I'm finally at the point where I am hoping to soon purchase one of the better 2ch cams (the soon-to-be-released SG9663DC) which will give me the vid quality I want at a price which should be reasonable given the build quality and customer support it will have. There are other more expensive 2ch models I'd be happy with but I can't aff0rd them.

The perfect dashcam has not been built and never will be. If it was most of us couldn't afford it anyway. There will always be some compromise involved so decide what is most important for you first, then find the cam which gives you the most of that and live with the rest. It's about all we can do.

Phil

Thanks Phil and Tiffany for that, I've got lots to think about and will probably have more questions soon.

Regards
Jim

YOUTUBE is your friend for user samples, raw footage is then likely to be better

Back