Video segmentation and bad rattle

Chris Gay

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new here. I looked through a bunch of the existing questions and didn't see anything about my problems. But, apologies if this has already been covered.

I've had a G1W for about a month now. Good quality video but two things I don't understand:

(1) When I go on a trip of, let's say 20 minutes, I end up with a number of separate videos with lengths anywhere between about 15 seconds and 5 minutes or so. What causes this? Does it have something to do with motion sensing? When I look at the videos, it seems totally random to me. For a 20-minute trip I would really prefer one 20-minute video from the time I start the engine until the time I stop.

(2) My G1W seems securely mounted with the suction cup. But there is a BAD rattling sound as if the camera was loose. Very bad when car is stopped, then it goes away as vehicle speed increases. Anyone else see this?

Chris

loops should only be in 1,3 or 5 minute segments, the odd file lengths could be a write issue with the memory card, reformat the card in the camera and see if that helps

the rattle, put a piece of tape across the 2 buttons on the top (menu and power)... if its anything like my old one, its those buttons that vibrate a hell of a lot!

I'm new here....

Welcome to DCT.

...(1) When I go on a trip of, let's say 20 minutes, I end up with a number of separate videos with lengths anywhere between about 15 seconds and 5 minutes or so. What causes this? Does it have something to do with motion sensing? When I look at the videos, it seems totally random to me. For a 20-minute trip I would really prefer one 20-minute video from the time I start the engine until the time I stop....

It sounds to me like you may have motion detection turned on. This essentially tell the camera to only record when it detects motion - but it is notoriously ineffective at doing this. That would account for the variable length video segments.

To get a single file you will need to turn the 'Loop' function off. Normally the camera will save video segments of 1/3/5/10 minutes (varies by camera) and will do so until the memory card is full - at which time it will then begin over-writing the oldest files.

The problem you may run into by turning loop recording off is you will be limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. This is a constraint imposed by the file system and there's nothing you can do about it. Most people leave loop recording on then combine the individual segments via software - Registrator Viewer is preferred by many.

(2) My G1W seems securely mounted with the suction cup. But there is a BAD rattling sound as if the camera was loose. Very bad when car is stopped, then it goes away as vehicle speed increases. Anyone else see this?...
There have been reports over the years of the buttons on the camera being loose causing rattling in the audio. I seem to remember someone mentioning the microphone being loose inside the case causing the same symptom. Those are the 2 items I would look into first. A search of the forum should locate the specific threads on those subjects.

I seem to remember someone mentioning the microphone being loose inside the case causing the same symptom.
Whoever wrote that never opened a G1W, for sure. Its mic is soldered directly to the board, if it gets lose there will be no audio. ;)

The mic in my G1W-HC is nested in an oval housing and glued to the case (plastic front) . The mic in my G1W fake (GP Chipset) is done the same (metal front) Can't recall which way it is with the G1W-C or the G1W-S (metal fronts). The mics in the first two were still in in the oval adapter housing though that was loose from the case :eek: A dab of glue for the fix ;) I would have noticed it sooner but I don't do audio. Button rattle is often a problem with these too. A thin strip of tape over the inside of the buttons for that fix :) Motion detection and G-sensor needs to be 'off' with these cams or you'll get screwy files like Chris is experiencing :(

A lot of clones, copies, and fakes with these cams, so what holds true with mine may not be true with yours :rolleyes: Can still be a decent dashcam IF you get a real one and it's decently built; some luck will be needed to be successful with that :whistle:

Phil

The mic in my G1W-HC is nested in an oval housing and glued to the case (plastic front) . The mic in my G1W fake (GP Chipset) is done the same (metal front) Can't recall which way it is with the G1W-C or the G1W-S (metal fronts). The mics in the first two were still in in the oval adapter housing though that was loose from the case :eek: A dab of glue for the fix ;) I would have noticed it sooner but I don't do audio.

Phil
Hahaha, that's not the mic, that's the speaker! If you "did audio" you'd notice that you never lost it. :p:D
You don't see the mic unless you remove the board. Did you ever notice that small hole right next to the bottom left button? That's where the mic is. :)

Alrighty, lots of good advice in here. I re-formatted the card and started getting files of length equal to the loop length setting. So, that took care of that. I also made sure motion detection is OFF. I don't remember if it had previously been off or on but that clearly could have been a contributor.

I put tape over the two top buttons but still have the rattle. I have now done the other buttons as well and will give it a try soon.

Hahaha, that's not the mic, that's the speaker!

DOH! :p I'm sure you're right. I never looked close at that when i had them apart; I was only looking at the chips, sockets, and soldering quality. Would still make a nice rattle anyway ;)

Phil

Back