VIOFO A119 & A119S

Despite the improved low light performance of the A119S I keep finding myself drawn to the A119.

I love viewing your street scenes of Delhi but the air quality in all your videos is astonishing. I've known for a long time how bad the pollution is but I never realized how constant it appears to be. Some of your videos look like they could be street scenes from the Blade Runner movies.

Despite the improved low light performance of the A119S I keep finding myself drawn to the A119.

I like it more too.

Even though the A119's FOV is wider than the A119S, due to its higher resolution, most of the time I see clearer/sharper license plates from the A119. Makes me look forward to the narrower F1 even more.

Goes against the current trend but I like the slightly wider FOV too.

Also it looks more natural, colours and stuff. IMO the A119 could do with a slight EV bump, just a little bit.

That said, post 7 PM, I still prefer the A119S. Just feels better having a camera that can maintain a legible capture even in complete darkness. One of the major reasons why I'm utilising it as a rear camera.

I love viewing your street scenes of Delhi but the air quality in all your videos is astonishing. I've known for a long time how bad the pollution is but I never realized how constant it appears to be. Some of your videos look like they could be street scenes from the Blade Runner movies.

PM 2.5 index normally stays orange to red - http://aqicn.org/city/delhi

Only solution is to move.

Only solution is to move

And move to a less popular city, moving to Mumbai i bet will do little for air quality.

We dont have the same problem up here in in our "large" capitol, there are a problem with particle pollution from diesel cars and trucks, but the old saying " it is more healthy to stay at home and smoke a cigarette than go jogging in Copenhagen" are hugely over exaggerated.
My little town or Randers are good, and i live up on the hill so i am 60 - 70 M or so above sea level, and not much in the way of industry out west of my position ( westerly being the predominant wind direction in Denmark )

And move to a less popular city, moving to Mumbai i bet will do little for air quality.

A week ago Mumbai was worse. Lucky them as normally the sea breeze keeps things under control. Don't even want to imagine what would happen if Mumbai was landlocked like Delhi.

My wife's from Mumbai, she'd love the idea of moving there. Like the food and love the no nonsense approach and straightforward nature towards business, they don't beat around the bush like some of my fellow North Indians. A lot more trustworthy too. Pity that the roads are much narrower, traffic is a lot worse and everything just feels extremely congested. Usually a week in I start appreciating Delhi.

We dont have the same problem up here in in our "large" capitol, there are a problem with particle pollution from diesel cars and trucks, but the old saying " it is more healthy to stay at home and smoke a cigarette than go jogging in Copenhagen" are hugely over exaggerated.
My little town or Randers are good, and i live up on the hill so i am 60 - 70 M or so above sea level, and not much in the way of industry out west of my position ( westerly being the predominant wind direction in Denmark )

I have an idea for you. Bottled air from Denmark... :p

I like it more too.

Even though the A119's FOV is wider than the A119S, due to its higher resolution, most of the time I see clearer/sharper license plates from the A119. Makes me look forward to the narrower F1 even more.

Goes against the current trend but I like the slightly wider FOV too.

Also it looks more natural, colours and stuff. IMO the A119 could do with a slight EV bump, just a little bit.

That said, post 7 PM, I still prefer the A119S. Just feels better having a camera that can maintain a legible capture even in complete darkness. One of the major reasons why I'm utilising it as a rear camera.

PM 2.5 index normally stays orange to red - http://aqicn.org/city/delhi

Only solution is to move.

I know what it's like to live in a city full of heavily polluted air full of hydrocarbon smog and particulates but certainly nothing like what you endure. It amazes me how we can all somehow become accustomed to the most remarkable conditions and if I lived in Delhi I'd probably get used to it too somehow. Then again, if I had children and it was at all possible, I'd find a way to move to a cleaner environment.

I know what it's like to live in a city full of heavily polluted air full of hydrocarbon smog and particulates but certainly nothing like what you endure. It amazes me how we can all somehow become accustomed to the most remarkable conditions and if I lived in Delhi I'd probably get used to it too somehow.

It's indeed amazing how the body adapts. Was up in the mountains for a bit last year. Our return coincided with crop burning in neighbouring states and the air going still in Delhi. Much before we entered Delhi, felt the heaviness in the air it smelt foul. After experiencing nearly a month of clean air, could clearly tell whatever we were breathing was not right. But a few hours in the smell had lessened and breathing was also back to normal.

Then again, if I had children and it was at all possible, I'd find a way to move to a cleaner environment.

Not easy. I really wish we could move to the hills.

Last edited:
It's indeed amazing how the body adapts. Was up in the mountains for a bit last year. Our return coincided with crop burning in neighbouring states and the air going still in Delhi. Much before we entered Delhi, felt the heaviness in the air it smelt foul. After experiencing nearly a month of clean air, could clearly tell whatever we were breathing was not right. But a few hours in the smell had lessened and breathing was also back to normal.

Not easy. I really wish we could move to the hills.

I remember living in NYC years ago and you'd just get acclimated to the bad air and distinct smells of car exhaust and rotten garbage left out for pick-up on hot days. Now, living on a mountain I can smell the exhaust fumes when a vehicle drives by, especially a diesel truck but within about 30 seconds the air is clear and clean again.

I hear you about it being hard to just pick-up and move.

Last edited:
Rear

VIOFO A119 (F.W V. 3.4) - 1440p @ 30 FPS, WDR - On, CPL - Yes.

VIOFO A119S (F.W V. 2.2) - 1080p @ 60 FPS, WDR - On, CPL - Yes.

Afternoon

A119

A119S

Combined

Last edited:
Have added side by side videos at 1080p 60fps for all the 1440p 30fps and 1080p 60fps comparisons done earlier.

-----

Talking about not just the A119 and A119S. Screenshots taken with per frame accuracy don't do justice to either of the two cameras in all such comparisons. From an evidentiary POV even though both cameras catch the same license plate just as clear and well, the capture from both is not always the best at the exact same frame. One may capture it better at a particular frame, while the other may have already captured the license plate just as well 2 frames back or a will do it a frame later. Hence if one's looking at just screenshots in order to judge number plate capture, I don't think it's fair.

And since side-by-side videos have been added, thinking of removing most of the screenshots. Thoughts?

Is there a better way of doing screenshots other than sticking to stationary shots?

Last edited:
Talking about not just the A119 and A119S. Screenshots taken with per frame accuracy don't do justice to either of the two cameras in all such comparisons. From an evidentiary POV even though both cameras catch the same license plate just as clear and well, the capture from both is not always the best at the exact same frame. One may capture it better at a particular frame, while the other may have already captured the license plate just as well 2 frames back or a will do it a frame later. Hence if one's looking at just screenshots in order to judge number plate capture, I don't think it's fair.

very good point, it's very easy to manipulate the results when presenting selective screenshots to show a particular result, there are some reviews online that try to present themselves as unbiased that are bad for this

very good point, it's very easy to manipulate the results when presenting selective screenshots to show a particular result, there are some reviews online that try to present themselves as unbiased that are bad for this

The only way I can think it would be fair is to ignore the synchronisation and share the best frame captured by both. Or not?

Staying with this topic, what's a better approach for side by side videos. The current shrunken 50/50 or taking a bit off the top and bottom? Or both?

The only way I can think it would be fair is to ignore the synchronisation and share the best frame captured by both. Or not?

frame by frame sync is something we do when we're looking at hardware changes, comparing firmware etc, less of an indicator when looking at different products unless leaving that decision to the viewer, selectively pulling frames out when it suits the narrative does not make for fair judgement unfortunately

Staying with this topic, what's a better approach for side by side videos. The current shrunken 50/50 or taking a bit off the top and bottom? Or both?

that's a challenge I think as it's hard to judge when edited, I tend to run full res videos side by side on individual monitors, I have triple 32" monitors though so it's easier to achieve, that's not practical for everybody of course

Yup, I also have a second display and normally run individual videos on two different screens when comparing but as you said everyone doesn't have such a set up or even if they do, I don't think most would be inclined to download two videos and run them side by side.

I meant for YT, since it's edited and transcoded in either case, in your opinion is the 50/50 version better or is taking a bit off the top and bottom a better approach.

Last edited:
I meant for YT, since it's edited and transcoded in either case, in your opinion is the 50/50 version better or is taking a bit off the top and bottom a better approach.

I think the top and bottom style is easier on the eyes than trying to analyse left and right

Thank you.

Next comparison onwards, I think I'll add both.

Last edited:
Screenshots removed.
I think screenshots are fine as long as you find the best frame for what you are looking for (i.e. license plates, signs, etc.) on each camera even though they might not match up the same. That is 100% representative of what everyone will be looking for on their camera for specific details.

As far as editing i really like your videos of top/bottom. I do like other videos I've seen of where the top and bottom are cropped on each video like this. It should capture all important areas without missing details and it fills the entire screen.

Back