Can parking mode be activated when the dashcam is connected only to a battery pack?

ws46060

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can parking mode be activated when the dashcam is connected only to a battery pack? I have a hybrid and don't want to hardwire the dashcam to the fuse box.
When I park, I disconnect the dashcam from the car's usb outlet and reconnect to the stand-alone battery pack. It provides a couple hours of 4k 30p recording.

I would like to extend the recording time by using parking mode's time lapse and/or event recording modes.

Is there a way to activate (and not merely 'enable') parking mode without using the hardwire kit?

Can parking mode be activated when the dashcam is connected only to a battery pack? I have a hybrid and don't want to hardwire the dashcam to the fuse box.
When I park, I disconnect the dashcam from the car's usb outlet and reconnect to the stand-alone battery pack. It provides a couple hours of 4k 30p recording.

I would like to extend the recording time by using parking mode's time lapse and/or event recording modes.

Is there a way to activate (and not merely 'enable') parking mode without using the hardwire kit?
Using the original charger cable to connect the battery pack to the camera to supply constant power, the camera can enter parking mode after 5 minutes of inactivity. Please make sure the parking mode has been turned on in the settings. But this method is not so stable, usually, we suggest combining our hardwire kit with the battery pack to enable the parking mode. You can refer to this FAQ: https://support.viofo.com/support/s...se-an-external-battery-pack-for-parking-mode-

Can parking mode be activated when the dashcam is connected only to a battery pack?
Welcome to the club.
Yes, you connect to the HK4 hardwire kit to the dash cam battery pack (PowerCell 8), and then plug the Type-C connector into the dash cam.
The PowerCell 8 will plug into your CLA to charge while driving.
When you shut the engine off the CLA will stop charging the PC8, and trigger parking mode.
Does that answer your question?
-Chuck

Thanks for the replies. I do have the hardwire kit. I was hoping to use a cheaper standard battery pack as my power source. It looks like I will need to purchase a dedicated dashcam battery pack.

Well then use it.
Many people use power banks to operate their DVRs.
I believe it takes a dedicated output from the battery pack to mimic the accessory input. That is what triggers the camera to go into parking mode. When I connect my dash cam to a standard power block it runs fine... but never enters parking mode (even though the car is stationary).

I ran both the A229 Pro and Plus today hooked up to a Powercell 8 via a standard USB cable, not the 3-wire hardwire cable. Both of them had issues switching properly, particularly coming back out of parking mode when I resumed driving. They did work initially for driving recording though.

Back