1.5TB MLC MicroSD

I hope so =) And open-source Cloud hooks or open-source firmware =)

It won't support
I agree, wouldn't make sense for them to support it when external SSDs don't have the portability factor. The best we can hope for is that the microSD cards continue to get faster storage and faster controllers..

USB external storage?

I agree, wouldn't make sense for them to support it when external SSDs don't have the portability factor. The best we can hope for is that the microSD cards continue to get faster storage and faster controllers..

There are some pretty small portable USB SSD drives available these days. If a dash cam had the interface to connect with one of these using a long USB-C cable we'd be all set.

The possibility for this has actually been a discussion on DCT going back many years now. Maybe we are finally on the cusp of this?

These are all 2TB USB drives with decent specs.

ssd_1.jpg

ssd_3.jpg

ssd_2.jpg

There are some pretty small portable USB SSD drives available these days. If a dash cam had the interface to connect with one of these using a long USB-C cable we'd be all set.

The possibility for this has actually been a discussion on DCT going back many years now. Maybe we are finally on the cusp of this?

These are all 2TB USB drives with decent specs.

View attachment 73402

View attachment 73404

View attachment 73400
I have one myself, this one here plugged into the back of my TV: https://www.ple.com.au/Products/663...sk_79j-KTdwtIIkYS27yyqf7Eia5jnchoCKkQQAvD_BwE

If Viofo is up for it or other manufacturers, then go for it, if we could hide the long usb cable or what-not then would be great. I'm not averse to the idea, and it would look increasingly likely in a world where microSD card progression seems nigh.

I am not a fan of microsd cards, very easy to lose and a right hassle removing and having to use adapters etc.

USB would be great although I have a feeling dashcams will stick with microsd as for the average user they probably prefer that

I have one myself, this one here plugged into the back of my TV: https://www.ple.com.au/Products/663...sk_79j-KTdwtIIkYS27yyqf7Eia5jnchoCKkQQAvD_BwE

If Viofo is up for it or other manufacturers, then go for it, if we could hide the long usb cable or what-not then would be great. I'm not averse to the idea, and it would look increasingly likely in a world where microSD card progression seems nigh.

Another possibility that has been discussed on the forum previously is the idea of using an insertable SSD card that could go into a slot directly in a dash cam. Many of these cards require an end cap to complete the circuit and they make special caddies for that. An end cap could be incorporated into the camera slot as well. It would be cool if you put an SSD card onto a cam, remove it when you want just like a memory card and swap in a spare.

ssd..jpg

enclosure.jpeg

Another possibility that has been discussed on the forum previously is the idea of using an insertable SSD card that could go into a slot directly in a dash cam. Many of these cards require an end cap to complete the circuit and they make special caddies for that. An end cap could be incorporated into the camera slot as well. It would be cool if you put an SSD card onto a cam, remove it when you want just like a memory card and swap in a spare.

View attachment 73405

View attachment 73406
Yeah I think these are pretty much what you showed there with M2 size SSD but you're placing them in a caddy.

Same thing as what I've got with my USB drive now it would be the same M2 SSD inside, think standards are 2260s or 2280s but could go as small as 2242.

I'd just go with whatever form factor was cheapest haha

VIOFO did make the OTG or whatever it is so you can plug your phone in directly to retrieve storage
So maybe they will make progress and have USB mass storage to any USB storage or whatever it is called these days.

VIOFO did make the OTG or whatever it is so you can plug your phone in directly to retrieve storage
So maybe they will make progress and have USB mass storage to any USB storage or whatever it is called these days.
The USB mass storage interface used to be too slow to support recording multiple channels to mass storage devices. New faster processors are coming, so maybe they will soon be able to deliver on what they have been hinting at for a while now...

Fk knows

The USB mass storage interface used to be too slow to support recording multiple channels to mass storage devices
Yes, you are right, Novatek USB interface cannot be used for SSD storage, but Novatek is working on implementing SSD storage. Here is a picture with the romanian menu for Novatek SSD storage.
Novatek_SSD_2024.jpg
Now some guy will appear here posting that external SSD storage was his idea or some other forum member idea, few years ago, and Novatek implemented because of them.

I invented the idea of external SSD storage in 2012

Yeah, you invented this on another forum, maybe, because you are here a forum member from 2020.
Going thru the same path of the inventor, look here who is the real author of external SSD storage from 2012. :alien:

It's only 128 GB, so there would be no incentive over a microSD card and it's a Road Angel which I wouldn't consider purchasing but its an example of an already available dash cam with an SSD drive. I has a HiSilicon 3559 processor.

roadangel.jpg

It's only 128 GB, so there would be no incentive over a microSD card and it's a Road Angel which I wouldn't consider purchasing but its an example of an already available dash cam with an SSD drive. I has a HiSilicon 3559 processor.

View attachment 73419
:unsure:$787 for a single channel dashcam with EMMC memory that will wear out after a year or two and can't be changed?

Back