VIOFO A229 Pro / Telephoto Camera / Video and Screenshots

I wonder if anyone can compare the telephoto camera with FHD resolution and QHD resolution?
The main purpose of a telephoto camera is to get extra resolution on the license plates? So why would you install the telephoto then turn down the resolution?

I could understand using FHD on the main camera with QHD on the telephoto, because then the telephoto will read all the plates with great clarity, and so the high resolution of the main camera is not really needed. Rescaling a 4K sensor to FHD gives a really good image quality, a nice scaling factor of 2:1 (4:1 by area), while with 4K to QHD you need to slice the pixels up, which doesn't work well and is a bit pointless. This would have the same data amount as your suggestion of "QHD+FHD" but with much better licence plate reading.

Adding QHD+FHD resolutions to the Plus model
I guess you could have the option of HD+QHD if you really want to save data, that would be a reduction of 8xHD to 5xHD pixels, so a little over half the data, but with excellent plate reading on the telephoto.

The telephoto camera hasn't arrived yet.
I wonder if anyone can compare the telephoto camera with FHD resolution and QHD resolution?

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
If FHD will be sufficient, resolution options; UHD+FHD / QHD+FHD for professional model
It can save both data, energy and heat.
The main purpose of a telephoto camera is to get extra resolution on the license plates? So why would you install the telephoto then turn down the resolution?

I could understand using FHD on the main camera with QHD on the telephoto, because then the telephoto will read all the plates with great clarity, and so the high resolution of the main camera is not really needed. Rescaling a 4K sensor to FHD gives a really good image quality, a nice scaling factor of 2:1 (4:1 by area), while with 4K to QHD you need to slice the pixels up, which doesn't work well and is a bit pointless. This would have the same data amount as your suggestion of "QHD+FHD" but with much better licence plate reading.

I guess you could have the option of HD+QHD if you really want to save data, that would be a reduction of 8xHD to 5xHD pixels, so a little over half the data, but with excellent plate reading on the telephoto.

Thank you for your interest.

The question is simple and clear.
Comparison of QHD and FHD performance of telephoto camera. Of course, there will definitely be a difference technically and practically. It's not hard to guess this. I just want to see its acceptability.

Sometimes it is necessary to respect suggestions. You cannot make a different suggestion by changing the same suggestion. It is presented with this change.
Therefore, it is important to follow the recommendations.
Your suggestion will be taken into consideration.

We are all familiar with technical data. Seeing what results it gives in practice and intervening is a reality of this business.

The telephoto camera hasn't arrived yet.

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
If FHD will be sufficient, resolution options; UHD+FHD / QHD+FHD for professional model
It can save both data, energy and heat.

I think I would opt for QHD these days, but FHD certainly has its merits and shouldn't thrown out with the bathwater just because we now have higher resolutions available to us. Well executed 1080p using good quality optics can be eminently
viable.

I posted this FHD 1080p telephoto image (from 6 years ago) recently in a different thread.

Of course, shooting FHD on a QHD sensor may not look quite like this.
zoom8.jpg

Last edited:
I posted somewhere here the differences between FHD and 2K telephoto camera of Viofo A229 Pro, but I think that thread was deleted. Not sure, I don't want to search for it.
I can assure you that it is a BIG difference between telephoto FHD and 2K telephoto. Nigel saw a lot of testing samples and he knows from real experience and unofficial tests, before the telephoto camera was released by Viofo.
Nigel was the first person who said that zooming on the 4K image of A229 Pro will result the same thing as a FHD telephoto camera recording of A229 Pro.
So, why to release a secondary camera which will do the same thing as the main camera? FHD telephoto camera will bring more details only on poor dashcams with inferior main CMOS than Sony IMX678.

I know that some people are disappointed because Viofo didn't used the FHD camera for the telephoto version but it was a good decision from them. Great job, Viofo! Who wants a poor telephoto camera to buy another brand. I hope Viofo will never release a FHD telephoto camera on any future model.

Last edited:
I can assure you that it is a BIG difference between telephoto FHD and 2K telephoto. Nigel saw a lot of testing samples and he knows from real experience and unofficial tests, before the telephoto camera was released by Viofo.
Yes, the 2K telephoto has twice the pixels of the FHD telephoto, so essentially has twice the license plate detail of the FHD telephoto.

There is always a compromise to be made between amount of zoom and width of field of view, so it doesn't have to be exactly twice the detail, and an FHD telephoto doesn't have to give the same detail as a 4K main camera when zoomed in, you can have more zoom and less field of view, but with only FHD resolution against 4K resolution which has 4x more detail, you need 4x zoom just to match the detail of the 4K, and if you go to 8x zoom so that you have a small improvement in detail, then the telephoto only covers 1/8th the field of view, which is not really enough, especially given the distance at which the HDR is able to read plates.

The 2K telephoto works well, with both EU and USA size plates, the FHD telephoto is disappointing when used with a 4K main camera, which is what most people will use it with. The FHD telephoto would work OK with a 2K main camera, but the 2K telephoto still has twice the detail of the FHD telephoto, it is the better camera whichever main camera you have.

For most people, an FHD rear camera is acceptable, until we get a main camera that can support 2K telephoto + 2K rear. The only problem is for people who have already bought a 2K rear and want to add a 2K telephoto.

the FHD telephoto is disappointing when used with a 4K main camera
I don't agree. Right now this is true only when the 4K main camera is IMX678. With a smaller 4K CMOS sensor it is possible the FHD to be better than the main 4K which is not IMX678. The biggest advantage of IMX678 is because it is a big sensor for a dashcam, usually the manufacturers are not using so big CMOS because it is more expensive. They just throw the smallest and cheapest CMOS into the camera just to be able to print on the case the 4K logo.

I was thinking of swapping my A139 for an A139 Pro, but the pro would probably make my mobius telephoto redundant most of the time.

I think I need to do a bit more research possibly. I could get a mobius 1s - but by that point I may be better just to go with an A229 Pro + telephoto so I get starvis 2 on the telephoto as well!

Back