1.5TB MLC MicroSD

:unsure:$787 for a single channel dashcam with EMMC memory that will wear out after a year or two and can't be changed?

Those don't appear to be US dollars but I certainly don't disagree with you. Nevertheless, it is any early example of a camera like this, even if it is a substandard and flawed one.

Edit: OMG, it is in USD! I was thrown off by the foreign phone number on the web page.

Edit: OMG, it is in USD!
Even worse, it is one of those cheap little outdated 4K sensors, no Starvis 2:

4K UHD Resolution​

The Halo Ultra is the first dash cam equipped with the latest generation of the SONY IMX415 image sensor.

And you can't actually have it until:
Pre-order the Road Angel Halo Ultra 128GB Including Nationwide Fitting, delivery beginning in January 2025.

The Micron Industrial MicroSD card has worked fine for two days. I get noticeably quicker speeds when downloading the videos with a card reader.
VIOFO app still takes an age to list the files. That could be optimized because the listing on the http://cameraip is instant.

Yeah, you invented this on another forum, maybe, because you are here a forum member from 2020.
Going thru the same path of the inventor, look here who is the real author of external SSD storage from 2012. :alien:
2024 what a prediction. Shame it said it was edited today

Those don't appear to be US dollars but I certainly don't disagree with you. Nevertheless, it is any early example of a camera like this, even if it is a substandard and flawed one.

Edit: OMG, it is in USD! I was thrown off by the foreign phone number on the web page.

Abysmal. Needs NAND storage or even UFS is a better option than that dratted eMMC

Is there a source saying it is eMMC?

Is there a source saying it is eMMC?
Not necessarily but the likelihood of it being anything other than eMMC is pretty damn low

eMMC and SSD storage have a lot in common, including using NAND flash memory but true SSD is always superior. If the Road Angel actually has SSD it would likely have a lot more memory that a mere 128GB.

Then again for the price they are asking for the camera you might expect multiple terabytes.

Another possibility that has been discussed on the forum previously is the idea of using an insertable SSD card that could go into a slot directly in a dash cam. Many of these cards require an end cap to complete the circuit and they make special caddies for that. An end cap could be incorporated into the camera slot as well. It would be cool if you put an SSD card onto a cam, remove it when you want just like a memory card and swap in a spare.

View attachment 73405

View attachment 73406
This is also a good solution, buy an SSD and the Enclosure to work together.
But it is better to use a PSSD.

Nigel has PSSD lol

2024 what a prediction. Shame it said it was edited today
Of course it was edited today, but I did that to keep the discussion type about who was first.

Of course it was edited today, but I did that to keep the discussion type about who was first.

The simple fact that you felt the need to tamper with your original post destroys any credibility that your evidence is authentic because now anyone who reads it has reason to suspect that you may have edited your old post to make it appear that you really suggested SSD storage back in 2012. If this were a court of law the judge would toss your case out for presenting tampered evidence no matter how much you might try to explain it away or justify your reasoning for doing so.

I invented it which is proof enough.

If it's intended as a joke that 11 years ago you predicted it then yes, but as @Dashmellow said, it's very probable that you inserted the whole paragraph about SSD storage in there yesterday, and didn't just change the date.

If it's intended as a joke that 11 years ago you predicted it then yes, but as @Dashmellow said, it's very probable that you inserted the whole paragraph about SSD storage in there yesterday, and didn't just change the date.

Just to be clear, I didn't say "probable", but altering a nearly 12 year old post like that just yesterday to make a point certainly destroys any credibility to the claim. If the post had been left unedited there would be no reason to question it, but now it can't be trusted.

Just to be clear, I didn't say "probable", but altering a nearly 12 year old post like that just yesterday to make a point certainly destroys any credibility to the claim. If the post had been left unedited there would be no reason to question it, but now it can't be trusted.
Sorry didn't mean that you said the word, think it was more a word that would describe it to me in my head.

I had a quick check of Wayback Machine and of course the post wasn't archived, to check if it has been tampered with. But the context of the thread leads me to believe the SSD spiel has been inserted in there yesterday

Sorry didn't mean that you said the word, think it was more a word that would describe it to me in my head

No problem at all, I didn't necessarily take it that way. I just wanted to better articulate what I was trying to express.

Back