0803 for rear..

GazSuttonUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x Mini 0805
Been using a 0803 on the front screen for about a week and Im very pleased with the results..
Im going to buy another one for the rear, I have an hatchback car...will the opening and closing of the hatch cause any damage to the 0803?

Im going to buy another one for the rear, I have an hatchback car...will the opening and closing of the hatch cause any damage to the 0803?
I've been thinking/wondering the same. If you put it at the top near the hinges then it doesn't actually move very much when you open/close the hatch so I would expect it to be OK. If you mount it further inside the car then the wide angle lens can see out the side windows as well but I couldn't find a good position in my car other than on the glass next to the high level brake light.

Gaz, I have both front and rear 0803's and I have had no problem with damage. I contemplated mounting on the headlining, but I preferred to have it as close as possible to the glass, so attached it straight on, as far up as possible to lessen the movement as Nigel suggests. Both cameras are bog standard with no tinkering/modifications.
BB

I'm going to find myself in the same situation, using an 0803 mounted to the rear window of my WRX hatchback. It'll be using the new, sturdy GPS mount, and I'm hopeful that it will work well enough. If not, then I'll resort to using a few drops of Crazy Glue to make the camera and GPS mount one piece.

Got my 2nd 0803 delivered today....and took a quick look at the mounting position in the rear window......to make it a neater cable route I would ideally need to use the camera upside down...I have tried this and the screen does 'right' itself but the words and icons are still upside down....

Got my 2nd 0803 delivered today....and took a quick look at the mounting position in the rear window......to make it a neater cable route I would ideally need to use the camera upside down...I have tried this and the screen does 'right' itself but the words and icons are still upside down....
So that when you open the hatch, thus turning it upside down, they still make sense?

Or are you talking about the time etc overlay?

I assume you used the menu option to turn the image over, it didn't do it itself?

Sorry Nigel....because hopeful I will be using the camera upside down...
When I tried it out the image did automatically turn over...but it left time etc upside down(the right way up in actual fact).....apologies for not explaining it properly.....even Im confused.....lol

The other option is to mount it on the opposite side of screen and keeping the camera the correct way up..

Sorry Nigel....because hopeful I will be using the camera upside down...
When I tried it out the image did automatically turn over...but it left time etc upside down(the right way up in actual fact).....apologies for not explaining it properly.....even Im confused.....lol

The other option is to mount it on the opposite side of screen and keeping the camera the correct way up..
Now I'm even more confused :D

It's not an easy thing to explain since the image sensor, the screen display and the camera can all be turned upside down independently, plus when you open the hatch the camera will be turned the other way up - the bottom of the rear window ends up above it's top.

I'm very surprised that it turns itself over - maybe it is expecting you to roll your car! Does it rotate itself when you open the hatch?

The latest firmware 20140812 has a menu option for upside down. I've never tried it but maybe it will sort the problem? There is only one though which I assumed was for the image sensor but if the image sensor does it automatically then it must be for the screen/text?

Does that make any sense? :)

I am also confused by this setting. With "Sensor Flip" off i.e normal mode, you can turn the camera anyway you want and the image on the screen will always be the correct way up but the date/time etc never changes. With the setting "on" all that appears to happen is the image on the screen flips, the date/time etc doesn't change. Basically IMO it appears to be a useless setting as no matter what the camera orientation the image will always be upside down!

Basically IMO it appears to be a useless setting as no matter what the camera orientation the image will always be upside down!

Maybe it is for use in Australia? :cool::D

The Mobius has a similar setting, except it does exactly what you'd expect. Mounting the Mobius "upside down" (as I have done on my motorcycle) allows you to view footage in the correct orientation on a PC.

I was planning on using this setting for the rear hatch mount of my Mini 0803 but I haven't tried it yet.

Back