1.5TB MLC MicroSD

I will order a couple to test

I don't see anything about MLC, but it is an Industrial Grade card for edge storage in AI-enhanced video security applications.

The optimised design delivers sustained performance for concurrent 4K video recording and up to 8 AI capture events every second.

Reliable high quality provides a 2 million hour mean time to failure (MTTF) rating, plus 5-proof protection encompassing water, shock, x-ray, magnet and impact.

Health monitoring tracks usage and card health, and the field firmware update provides a secure way for the card to be updated remotely when needed.

I wonder how often you have to update the microSD card firmware?
We need the health monitoring to be supported by the dashcam, so that we can see the card health in the dashcam app...

Shame there is no universal health monitoring protocol, like hard drives with SMART.

Shame there is no universal health monitoring protocol, like hard drives with SMART.
Yes, the SD Association should have defined it as part of the SD standard!

All my Ultras died in dashcams. My 1TB Ultra died in less than a month.

'Supports up to 5 years of high-quality, continuous, 24/7 video recording and up to 4 months of storage with the highest-capacity microSD card in the world.'

The 4 months of storage part is confusing.

The 4 months of storage part is confusing.

On my CCTV system I can record 24/7 for 6 weeks with multiple cameras before anything gets overwritten. Perhaps that's the sort of thing they are talking about although they don't define what the recording input may be, so 4 months may just be an estimate.

Oh I get it, 4 months of capacity, and 5 years of endurance.

All my Ultras died in dashcams. My 1TB Ultra died in less than a month.
The 1TB card costs too much, I tested 1TB card 2 years ago, and it easily died.

For normal daily driving, a 128GB or 256GB card is big enough for the dash cam.
For longer video storage like supporting 2 to 3 weeks of video recording, better to choose other solutions.
I thought in the near future, the dash cam would also support external SSD like the iPhone 15 Pro does.

I thought in the near future, the dash cam would also support external SSD like the iPhone 15 Pro does.
iPhone 15 Pro gives us Apple ProRes Raw 60fps video at 1,768Mbps if the external drive is fast enough...

I think 60fps 100mb/s HDR10 video will be OK for the dashcam, even @Panzer Platform might be happy :D

I want 2FPS global shutter super sharp sidecar video

Just got a Micron MTSD1T0ANC8MS-1WT (1TB industrial MicroSD) to test today. I will report back eventually.

1721838435386.png

I thought in the near future, the dash cam would also support external SSD
Yeah, I expect portable SSD to be supported by future Viofo dashcam.
I expect the 1TB SSD portable to be supported but I don't know what to say about 2TB ones.
Portable SSDs expected to work are
Sandisk Extreme SDSSDE61
Samsung T7 Shield MU-PE1T0S

I would invest in a 1TB or 2TB SSD instead of an 1GB or 1.5GB card.

Yes I would use a spare 2TB SSD if it supported it.

I don't think VIOFO will ever support SSD or have a Cloud system.

It won't support

Back