12v delay timer for power on

carrotguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a radar detector that could be damaged by voltage fluctuations when the ignition is powered on. For that reason, I've ordered a 12v delay timer that I will hardwire to the radar detector power cable.

I'm concerned about the same type of voltage fluctuations for the dashcam. If I ordered a finevu with the power kit, would that be sufficient protection for any voltage spike when starting the car? If not, should I get another 12v delay timer, and wire that to the finevu power kit?

Thanks.

My car's a diesel and so I have to turn on the ignition & wait for the glowplugs to warm up before turning the engine.
This means that a camera would power up then turn off as the engine turns over (all power to accessories turns off to give the engine maximum battery output) - the camera is then powered on within a second or so - whilst it is still in shutdown sequence (saving files).
For this reason, I use a delay relay set to 10seconds wired into a 12v extension socket - 10s is more than enough time for the glowplugs to heat up.
Power goes off momentarily then back on again, the relay resets & counts to 10 again.
The ONLY downside is if I set off straight away, I lose a couple of seconds of footage - which is no biggie.

sludgeguts said:
the camera is then powered on within a second or so - whilst it is still in shutdown sequence (saving files).

not sure what cam you have but it shouldn't start saving a file during a momentary power loss, the cam should have a countdown of its own after power off (user selectable time on most models) before it would do that

Back