12V to 5V Dash cam

ro.tyagi778

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a Blackvue DashCam 600GW which is hardwired since 2014. It has a DC connection to it, I believe its 12V. I am interested in purchasing an E1 Vantrue which I believe runs on 5V via USB ( their dashcam hardwire has this available - https://www.vantrue.net/product/hardwire_kit_for_x4s_n4_n2s_e1

So if I don't get their hardwire kit, can I just get a female DC to USB-C and power it on? I don't know how these work but is it going to damage it or do these kits have some auto regulation?

The 600GW manual specification says Input Power 12V-24V

I have a Blackvue DashCam 600GW which is hardwired since 2014. It has a DC connection to it, I believe its 12V. I am interested in purchasing an E1 Vantrue which I believe runs on 5V via USB ( their dashcam hardwire has this available - https://www.vantrue.net/product/hardwire_kit_for_x4s_n4_n2s_e1

So if I don't get their hardwire kit, can I just get a female DC to USB-C and power it on? I don't know how these work but is it going to damage it or do these kits have some auto regulation?

The 600GW manual specification says Input Power 12V-24V

if you use a simple cable that allows DC to USB C then I suspect you will put 12Volts into the Vantrue Dashcam and you don't want to do that.

If you use the Vantrue kit you linked to, then you could run the 12 Volts from the old Blackvue connector into the Vantrue unit.
However the old Blackvue specs rates it power output at 3.3 watts at 12-24 volts. If we take the best case scenario that's approx. 0.275 ampere (A) available.
The E1 looks like it draws about that. Depending on how efficient the hardwire kit is the whole setup may not give you a reliable result.

You will need to either cut the end off the Blackvue or get a connector that can plug into it having the Vantrue wires going into the plug.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing that.
Start fresh with the hardwire kit connected to the fuse box as instructed and run the cable up to the dashcam.
It will make your experience that much better.

Back