2 channel for cargo van with no rear windows?

Brian.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally decided to get a cam setup, lots to learn and I'm struggling to find something that's suitable for me. I have a Ford Transit van with no windows behind the front doors, and would like a camera out back. The only real external-mount cameras I see are motorcycle related, which might work if the cabling is long enough (I mean, I've transported motorcycle INSIDE this van, it's easily twice as long as your average motorcycle). Hoping that there's an option out there that I'm just not finding because this is all new to me.

Wants are simple, basic recording (don't need a screen, or any wireless connectivity), on/off with vehicle. Just enough that an insurance rep or judge can say "yup, they were clearly at-fault" for any accidents. I don't mind paying for quality, but don't want to pay for needless extras either.

Thanks

For motorcycle dash camera, you should have a look at our Blueskysea B1M!

I’ve seen some stuff targeted at commercial drivers. One brand I came across on Amazon was JOINLGO, but I don’t know if they’re any good or not.

Welcome to the forum namesake.
There are a few brands that have rear cameras that are waterproof and meant for outside install, but the only one i can think right off the top of my head is Street guardian with whom i am affiliated.

Ill tag in Jon and you to can talk possible solutions in PM or on the mail / phone if you like. @Street Guardian USA

Street Guardian has a waterproof cam option, and the W4K comes with a waterproof rear cam (although it has other issues). I'm sure there's others.

The problem you might have will be with the cabling; ideally a drilled hole and high mounted cam would be best in back, especially if you don't use the roofspace for carrying anything. It may be the weatherstrip scheme at the rear doors is such that you can snake a cable through or over it without having it rain inside when it rains outside. Cam cables come with the connectors molded on the ends so a hole they could pass through would be at least 3/8 inch (10mm) in size unless you clip the cable and solder the wires back after running them. You may not be interested in drilling a hole though.

A word about the W4K. I tested and reviewed one (review linked HERE), and it records reliably but playback may be choppy. Nothing will be lost- no frames are dropped- so I kept mine in use for quite awhile. The rear cam cabling easily reached the back of my extended full-size old Ford van routed around the sides so it should reach for you. It's a good cam other than the playback issue, but the Street Guardian would be my choice if I could afford the price as it is a far more well-developed cam without issues. And if cabling is long enough there's a few motorcycle cams which could work for you if you can get power to where the cam processor box will be mounted. One single switched 12V wire with a good grounding point will handle that since you don't need parking mode.

Phil

Back