2 x GS1000 for 3D Dashcam Videos..

simmiv

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All..
I have been using a GS1000 for the videos on my dashcam youtube channel.. These are driving videos of places not many have the opportunity to go to. Recently I upgraded my TV to an LG Smart TV that has 3D capabilities. This prompted me to think about doing 3D dashcam videos. Thus I embarked on a project to test it. I got two new GS1000 with the orange menu and then built a simple temporary rig to mount them on my 4WD. I was interested in seeing the results, plus I also wanted to work out the optimal distance between the lenses on the two dashcams. According to the literature the optimal distance between two lenses should be around 7cm, which is the average distance between the eyes of males. The GS1000 cameras are quite wide, so having two side by side the minimum distance between the lenses is around 11cm. As these videos are not closeups and are mostly distance viewing, having at 7cm doesn't seem to be necessary. Increasing the distance can also increase the 3D depth. Because of that I built the temp rig, so I could vary the distance i.e. increase it and thereby increase the 3D depth. Thus I have created 5 short 3D videos with distances of 11, 15,20,25 and 30 cm between the lenses of the two dashcams. The videos are here Youtube Channel with 3D videos I also have one longer test video driving along the main streets in Reykjavik, the capital city of Iceland. That video was captured with two GS1000 with around 11cm lens distance through the windshield. The videos are side by side 3D videos and render fine in most smart TV's and/or on 3D monitors. Youtube also renders them in other formats depending on your setup i.e. anaglyph. I'd be interested in peoples views on the 3D effect for the different lens distances i.e. is 11cm more natural than the 30cm one or somewhere in between?. The videos were taken driving the same mini lap so they should be easy to compare!
Photos of the rig and how it was set up on the car..

I use Movie Edit Pro 2013 video editor to load the left and right files, link them, align and then create the side by side video. It's pretty simple as the alignment uses the audio from each of the videos to align and trim them automatically. Thus you have to have both of them record audio, plus it helps also if you clap your hands a few times once they have started recording! Thus the process is pretty simple, but the 3D outcome looks good to me!
Rgds,
Simmi

Attachments

• IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5088.JPG
    IMG_5088.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5089.JPG
    IMG_5089.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 132
Thank you very much, you saved me a lot of time because i was thinking to do that same thing, and now i don't have to :D

For some reason i liked more those test videos where cameras was on the roof of you car, that final video is ok but lowering camera makes it ...not so interesting for some reason.
Good work.

Back