2024 Tucson HEV Limited - Dashcam power drain with VIOFO A229 Pro

donnybrook

Reaction score
Country
United States
I installed a VIOFO A229 Pro with the VIOFO HK4 hardwire kit in my 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe HEV Limited. I set the voltage cutoff to 12.2V and the camera works flawlessly in parking mode and driving mode. My car can sit for days and I have no issues with battery drain.

I just installed the same dash cam using the same hardwire kit in my wife's 2024 Hyundai Tucson HEV Limited. I initially set the voltage cutoff to 12.0V but that drained the battery and caused the Tucson to trigger its battery protection. I changed the cutoff to 12.2V and it is still triggering the Tuscon's built-in battery protection. I've unplugged the camera for now to do some investigation.

On the Tucson, I tapped into the spare fuse locations. I'm tempted to switch that up. The other thing I am considering is that the voltage protection tap is faulty.

Any thoughts or have you experienced this?

20240422_233140.jpg

The Tuscon seems to have a difference battery bms with different values for the battery, could have swore there's some resistor on the hk4 you can change to increase the cutoff, try looking into that.

Try to obtain the HK5 which is an updated version of HK4.

Did you manage to get a fix?
I'm having the same problem with my hybrid tucson and I also tapped into the spare fuse location.

Nope. I changed the voltage cutoff on the wiring kit to be the most conservative. I thought that did the trick but we've had a couple instances where the battery protection was triggered. We started logging the battery voltage before turning the car on anytime it was parked. No noticable trend.

We noticed it happened after using the key FOB to move the car in and out of our garage so we thought there might be a connection to that. When testing that theory, the battery protection wasn't triggering.

So, the end result is my wife carried the little plastic pry bar tool in her wallet/purse in case it happens. Trying to remove the manual key cover with the key looks like it will scratch the car eventually.

We had leather key FOB covers that screwed together that we had to abandon because of the battery protection triggered, it would be a pain unscrewing it to use the key.

I never asked a dealership about it because I am fairly certain they will blame the camera. Driving without a dashcam just isn't an option for us.

What have you noticed happening with your Tucson?

You may already be doing this, but I thought I would mention it just in case. When using a fuse tap in a fuse box fuse socket which was unused (spare), the fuse tap should only have one fuse in it. There should only be a fuse for the new accessory (dash camera in this case) in the top fuse tap fuse socket. Depending on how the fuse box fuse socket and the fuse box internal wiring / power distribution is configured, adding a fuse to the bottom of the fuse tap may make power available to "thing(s)" in the vehicle that were not intended to get power.

Vehicle manufacturers often use the same fuse box in multiple vehicles. That fuse box in your vehicle's make/model may have a "spare" label for the fuse socket, but that may power some device/accessory in one of the other models of cars or trim levels of the same vehicle model. That's why it's safest when using a fuse tap in a fuse box fuse socket labeled as "spare" to only have one fuse in the top fuse socket of the fuse tap. You will have to orient the fuse tap in the fuse box fuse socket so the side with power in the fuse box fuse socket provides power to the left leg of the fuse tap (left side is the side opposite of the wire going to the new accessory).

As far as I know, modern Kia and Hyundai HEVs have slightly different battery installation compared to other manufacturers. Their typical voltage is 13V rather than usual 12V. This is most likely why setting 12.2V or even 12.4V cut-off voltage results in battery drain and various problems.

Below is a screenshot of the parking footage from the dashcam installed in the Kia Sportage 2022 HEV. Note the voltage measurement.

Zdjęcie WhatsApp 2024-10-11 o 10.02.59_3722bcc1.jpg

As far as I know, modern Kia and Hyundai HEVs have slightly different battery installation compared to other manufacturers. Their typical voltage is 13V rather than usual 12V. This is most likely why setting 12.2V or even 12.4V cut-off voltage results in battery drain and various problems.

Below is a screenshot of the parking footage from the dashcam installed in the Kia Sportage 2022 HEV. Note the voltage measurement.

View attachment 74516
We have a 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe HEV and a 2024 Hyundai Tucson HEV.

My Santa Fe doesn't have the issue my wife's Tucson has. The Santa Fe doesn't have a battery reset button either.

We've kinda learned to live with it for the moment because of "life"

We've put some effort into troubleshooting but I really haven't seen much on the Internet about it from others.

Have you checked the ACC turns off when the car is off? It would stay in full power mode otherwise.

Have you checked the ACC turns off when the car is off? It would stay in full power mode otherwise.
I'm feeling dense. How would I test if ACC is off when the car is off? There's no obvious signs of power usage when the car is off.

I may check the fuse locations I tapped into again to ensure their behavior.

I'm feeling dense. How would I test if ACC is off when the car is off? There's no obvious signs of power usage when the car is off.

I may check the fuse locations I tapped into again to ensure their behavior.
Interested in knowing more i sent a dm

I'd expect the labelled SPARE to always be on even if the car is off. Safedrive should be able to help they are the professionals.

You may already be doing this, but I thought I would mention it just in case. When using a fuse tap in a fuse box fuse socket which was unused (spare), the fuse tap should only have one fuse in it. There should only be a fuse for the new accessory (dash camera in this case) in the top fuse tap fuse socket. Depending on how the fuse box fuse socket and the fuse box internal wiring / power distribution is configured, adding a fuse to the bottom of the fuse tap may make power available to "thing(s)" in the vehicle that were not intended to get power.

Vehicle manufacturers often use the same fuse box in multiple vehicles. That fuse box in your vehicle's make/model may have a "spare" label for the fuse socket, but that may power some device/accessory in one of the other models of cars or trim levels of the same vehicle model. That's why it's safest when using a fuse tap in a fuse box fuse socket labeled as "spare" to only have one fuse in the top fuse socket of the fuse tap. You will have to orient the fuse tap in the fuse box fuse socket so the side with power in the fuse box fuse socket provides power to the left leg of the fuse tap (left side is the side opposite of the wire going to the new accessory).
I just took a look to see what I did. I treated the spare fuse location like I would any other location. The spare fuse locations had a fuse in it already so I kept the fuse in the tap as if I tapped into a known used fuse.

I would think this wouldn't change anything with what systems were powered.

I'm attaching a pic of the current connections.

Attachments

• 20241017_153524.jpg
    20241017_153524.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 5
ACC needs to be on a fuse that only turns on when the car is turned on (accessory power). The hardwire kit will use this so it knows if the car is on or not. It's trial and error to figure out which fuse does this. On mine I used the electric windows fuse but it's different on different cars.

I hope I am not assuming that you didn't know this, if I did then sorry.

ACC needs to be on a fuse that only turns on when the car is turned on (accessory power). The hardwire kit will use this so it knows if the car is on or not. It's trial and error to figure out which fuse does this. On mine I used the electric windows fuse but it's different on different cars.

I hope I am not assuming that you didn't know this, if I did then sorry.
I had a chat with him on the phone. He has some research to do on resting battery voltage between the 2 vehicles.

Back