360 Cameras as dashcams

Would you be interested in 360 dash cam?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

mt02380505

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you guys been watching the new 360 cameras? The likes of Theta S, Samsung Gear 360, Bublecam, 360Fly, etc, etc.

I wonder if any manufacturer would adapt these to dash cam. Theta S is prime candidate for that - small flat - all it needs is more memory and dashcam options such as to overwrite older footage as needed, parking mode, gps, emergency file store (for accidents).

I would buy one of those in a heart beat.

360 cams produce a very low res image compared to what we're used to. Eg a 1080p sensor might be used for the front view in a normal cam but in a 360 video, it's got to capture everything. Front, back, sides etc.

What about 4K 360 cameras that are currently popping out?

They're better. They produce a viewing resolution somewhere between 720p and 1080p depending on the setup and how they export their footage.

At the moment the video quality is "good enough" to use as a dash cam and they've not been out a year! Surely it can't be too long before the quality is improved enough and made into a purpose built dashcam

I'm genuinely excited about the idea. at the moment I have a front and rear (separate 1ch cams) but after getting a genuine G1w dirt cheap I decided to put it in the front and I set up my old front camera in a "top gear-esque" kind of position, nearside top corner of my windscreen pointing inwards towards myself

Even 4K stretched out over a full "bubble" will be low resolution, thats why the pro 360 rigs are made of a huge number of high res cameras, so the end product might end up as a 36K footage.

Something like this
http://360designs.io/product/eye-vr-camera-full-3-axis-package/

Thats 42 4K cameras shooting, and that will indeed make up for a high resolution video bubble.

I would say the least you can make do with is the rigs made out of 4 - 6 or more 4K cameras.

Current consumer / prosumer 360 cameras might be okay for a cabin camera, but i would not bet on what they will reach out of the windscreen and capture.

I figure you will have to pay 2-3000 euro for a good 100 Mpix or larger 360 camera.

Hehe well when i read APP i get a mental shutdown, cuz where others install and want Apps i delete and don't want Apps.
And when it is uttered in the same sentence as smartphone i feel like dropping to the floor and do a major tantrum like i have not done in 45 years.

Even 4K stretched out over a full "bubble" will be low resolution, thats why the pro 360 rigs are made of a huge number of high res cameras, so the end product might end up as a 36K footage.
I would say the least you can make do with is the rigs made out of 4 - 6 or more 4K cameras.
If you don't try to warp the image into a single 360 view then you can make do with only 4 1080 sensors, also gives you a better view since you can put the rear view lens on the back window instead of it having to look all the way through the car. In real life you never see the world as a single 360 view anyway, you turn your head to the side or back and then look at the new view, so keeping it as separate front/left/right/rear views gives a more natural result.

This has 360, with some overlap between views, except for the bit blocked by my head, much easier to follow than a 360 view because you can see the whole lot at once instead of having to rotate the view:

@DashcamDPR can you edit your post so it doesn't immortalize the spammer's links please?
Done. To be fair, I reported the post and it was deleted by a mod, I think. I suppose I kinda expected they may have edited/deleted my post as well, but never mind, sorted out now

A single-point 360 can will be seeing roof pillars, headrests, and people in the way of it;s view. Plus it won't see really close in. Better to get coverage with cams mounted at or close to the glass all around. Another benefit of this is if one cam fails, you've still got the rest.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vortex Radar 360 Degree Dash Cameras 2