Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
V5000GS, Mio Mivue 388 with filter
Standard suction mount kept falling off while driving on poor condition roads

Used a Roadhawk HD windscreen mount

roadhawk mount.JPG

The part that slides into camera was to tight so just required sandpaper to remove some excess plastic
IMG_0959.png

Hope this is of some use to anybody having a similar problem

John

Just what I am looking for, thanks for the info !! Now to track one down !

Bought mine off eBay

Thanks, just looked there - dear aren't they :$

This Roadhawk HD mount could be used on many dashcams with a little DIY, but price of 32usd is way too high for such a small peace of plastic ;)

Ordered via ebay, on its way from England to Australia. I just don't like the standard mount, makes it stick out too far !!

The bracket arrived and installed. A lot better than the standard one supplied. Now it's higher up and closer to the windscreen where it should be :)

The bracket is worth getting as it make the installation a lot neater and more secure.

Question: Do you guys remove your camera from the car when its going to be parked for a long time in one place? I was a bit peeved because I didnt think through the prospect of removing the cam from the supplied mount and its so stiff I nearly cant. There are a couple of little rubber "feet" which is part of the grip system I guess... I've contemplated taking those out to make it a bit easier but... maybe its not worthwhile. Maybe just leave it in the car and pray it doesnt get lifted?

I also get worried about heat (especially since the navman manual says dont have it in bright sunlight... wtf??) So I leave it when its in the garage or in shade, but I end up removing the entire thing (mount included) if the car is going to be in the sun for a few hours. Even though its winter, the interior of the car still gets V hot.

Mine stays in all the time too, being mounted fairly high makes it hard to see at a glance. Some install them in the middle of the windscreen, that would cause me a concern for theft. Mine sits directly beside the rear vision mirror.

Yeah, mine hangs down below the rearview mirror, because its in the original mount. Also my car is small, the colour of the RV mirror is a kind of light grey and theres no way to disguise what the 388 actually is. I dont think anyone would mistake it for a GPS device, its too small, but someone might twig to it and try to steal it. Meh. Dunno.

Glenn, you switched your mount, so I guess thats why its so high up. I might get one of those roadking mounts too, I'm thinking that something stuck more or less permanently to the windscreen, added to the difficulty of disengaging the device from the mount, might be a deterrent, once someone broke into the car? Mind you, these a-holes are so psychopathic, they'd be likely to trash the rest of the car to punish you for not making it easy for them. :-/

Back