412GW Purchase - 2nd thoughts

TX1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read a lot more threads on this forum I'm concerned that this camera might not meet my requirements. I would like to view some footage on my laptop and would probably simply read from the sd card or save files to laptop and then view them with the installed Windows 10 Films & TV app. I assume that I will also need the Nextbase Replay 3 software.

Some posts suggest that Firefox or VLC might be a better choice. I've used both in the past but feel that installing Firefox to play a video is a bit of an overkill and it was mentioned that VLC does not display Google Maps. I would expect (want) to see all info i.e. speed, location, heading, g-meter, google maps, etc., etc. as in the attached photo:-

412gw-screenshot2-800x509 half.jpg

Will the latest firmware/software combination provide what I'm looking for? If not, what would I need to do?

P.S. I'm NOT interested in viewing via Wi-Fi on a phone or tablet

the built in media player will play the files no problem, Replay3 is only needed if you want to view the GPS data etc

Hi jokiin,

Are you saying that I would need to connect camera to laptop to view files on the laptop?
I was hoping that I could just take the sd card out and insert it into my laptop.

You say Replay3 is only needed if you want to view the GPS data etc.
I assume by "GPS data etc" you mean all of the info displayed in the attached photo which is exactly what I do want to view.

Thanks for your reply but I'm not sure that my original concerns/questions have been fully answered.

if you want to see map info you need the player, if it's just the video files any player will be fine, taking the card out and using a card reader is the better option either way, dashcams make for very poor card readers

Is Replay3 a standalone player which will work in Windows 10?
If so, does it have any problems. Not sure of the details but I think I've seen complaints about the latest software version.

Yes. I don't have any issues with it, I use it with the footage off a non-nextbase cam, it's pretty good

Hi DashcamDPR
Are you hinting that I should be buying a non-nextbase cam instead

Hi DashcamDPR
HAHA no not at all, everyone has different dashcam needs, and Nextbase just doesn't tick the boxes for my needs, if it wasn't for the vehicle I use now I'd still have the Nextbase hardwire kit that I ended up selling with my Audi, that was a great bit of kit (y)

Some posts suggest that Firefox or VLC might be a better choice. I've used both in the past but feel that installing Firefox to play a video is a bit of an overkill and it was mentioned that VLC does not display Google Maps. I would expect (want) to see all info i.e. speed, location, heading, g-meter, google maps, etc., etc. as in the attached photo:-

View attachment 40799

Will the latest firmware/software combination provide what I'm looking for? If not, what would I need to do?

The latest firmware for the 412GW is 15.9, the latest Replay 3 software is 3.8.5 - Do you have the specification of the laptop/computer?

Hi DashcamDPR

I have the 412gw as a rear camera but have a mobius action camera as a front view dash cam so I don’t favour nextbase by any means but they have been very reliable for me over the years I must say

The latest firmware for the 412GW is 15.9, the latest Replay 3 software is 3.8.5 - Do you have the specification of the laptop/computer?
Hi Tiffany
Is this the sort of specification info you need to see?

HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1803 (build 17134.228)
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-6200U
8 GB memory; 256 GB SSD storage
2x USB 3.0 ports

Let me know if you need anything more specific.
Thank you for your help

spec sounds ok but if it has onboard graphics it can still struggle, likewise if it's the 1366 x 768 display version as it has to rescale everything as well, would be less of an issue if it has the 1920 x 1080 display

You could be right. Didn't take long to find this (assuming your x360 notebook is the same as the one reviewed):

GPU Performance

Like the processor, the integrated Intel HD Graphics 405 GPU is low-powered and meant for light workloads. The Braswell iGPU can reach clock speeds of 700 MHz at boost, but this speed drops down to around 450 MHz on battery power.

Our model lags behind the already weak competition and puts up a lackluster performance. This is most likely due to thermal throttling as the fanless SoC gets rather hot and was choked by poor heat management. While falling behind competitors by 15-30%, the performance is still within expectations for this price range. The GPU is good for media streaming and light graphical workloads, but not much else.

spec sounds ok but if it has onboard graphics it can still struggle, likewise if it's the 1366 x 768 display version as it has to rescale everything as well, would be less of an issue if it has the 1920 x 1080 display
Hi jokiin
I have a 1920 x 1080 display. If I get the 412GW I will no doubt experiment with different resolutions and would probably favour recording 1080p at 60fps instead of 1440p at 30fps.

You could be right. Didn't take long to find this (assuming your x360 notebook is the same as the one reviewed):
Hi Kremmen
Not sure if the review is for same model that I have and I'm afraid that it's all too technical and complicated for my limited knowledge.

My laptop has something called "HP CoolSense" which is switched on. I can feel heat blowing out from a vent in the side most of the time and it sometimes gets quite hot.

https://ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz shows lots of info for the processor but I'm afraid that, for me, most of it is pure gobbledygook. Perhaps you can make sense of it and let me know if my laptop is up to the job.

Having read a lot more threads on this forum I'm concerned that this camera might not meet my requirements. I would like to view some footage on my laptop and would probably simply read from the sd card or save files to laptop and then view them with the installed Windows 10 Films & TV app. I assume that I will also need the Nextbase Replay 3 software.

View attachment 40799

P.S. I'm NOT interested in viewing via Wi-Fi

Ive just purchased the 412GW and same problem its not the card its not the PC its the dam files! They are MOV (quick time) so they wont share on whatsapp or messenger and need that player installing on your PC or use VLC. ive used a samsung S6 and a S9 Plus and still the same!! Ive shortened them and no good.. I have converted a file on my PC to MP4 using DVD FAB and it plays ok then but I need access using the phone...You I cant even find the files IN THE PHONE that are downloaded as the phones are not recognizing the MOV file type..For gods sake why are they not MP4?? ive raised a ticket with them and if there's no way round it its going back as its not fit for purpose..as any one any ideas?

they're H.264 files, MOV or MP4 is just a container, the file itself is the same, will be an issue with your players not supporting the MOV extension

Yeah i agree. Just tried my sons iphone and it sends to both whatsapp and messenger so its an andriod issue.Yes files are okay to send size wise as long as you use the Low file size ones..its going back to supplier no use to me like it is..we send a lot of cam stuff over to the philippines where i used to live..off to the blackpool lights this weekend and now ill have to convert them to mp4 to send!! Its messing about. Oh and had a reply off Nextbase and they appologise and theres no plans yet for new firmware to include mp4..SO ITS GOING!! thx again.

Back