512GB limitation

DFurno

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings,

I am thinking about purchasing an a229 x3 cam setup for my car since I the idea of forward, rear, and interior cams. My concern is the 512GB limitation. It seems that the card would only hold a few hours of video. I often drive for 10 to 14 hours a day, and I would like to have at least a few days worth of video storage at decent resolution and bitrate. I have several Samsung 1TB Evo Plus cards that handle 160MB/s which is more than the class 10 requirement for the a229. My concern is that I might cause damage to the card or end up with unusable video. My questions are: Why is there a 512GB limitation? Is this a software issue or is there some physical limitation of larger cards? Is this something that Viofo might improve with firmware?

I also like the idea of the a329 x2 cam with the external drive, but with the cost of it and a 4tb SSD, it just breaks the bank.

Thanks,
Dale.

I don't think it's a limitation but more of a recommendation - I remember seeing someone using 1TB card in the A229Pro on this forum.

But there is a reason they recommend high endurance cards and why there are no high endurance 1TB cards - the smaller you make the NAND cells in the flash memory the less writes they can endure. I would guess that the dashcam will gladly accept those 1TB cards but it will kill them within months.

I don't think it's a limitation but more of a recommendation - I remember seeing someone using 1TB card in the A229Pro on this forum.

But there is a reason they recommend high endurance cards and why there are no high endurance 1TB cards - the smaller you make the NAND cells in the flash memory the less writes they can endure. I would guess that the dashcam will gladly accept those 1TB cards but it will kill them within months.
That makes sense. I see that WD has some 'Purple' 1tb SD cards, which is what they recommend for video surveillance, but they are $200. At that point, I'd be close enough to just getting the a329 and an SSD.

Back