5V?

2ManyHobbies

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a VanTrue N2Pro that I want to install on my 2022 Acura MDX. Turns out there is 12V at the mirror that I can tap into. The issue is that the N2Pro requires 5V. How can I use the mirror power and drop it to 5V or is there another camera I can use that uses 12V?

Welcome to the forum.

You can power all 5 V dashcameras with any wall wart phone / whatever charger, though that is of course mains to 5V , you you can also get USB chargers for the car, though you have to be careful as some cheap models are not the power they are rated at and so if it can not deliver enough AMPS the camera will behave erratic when starved for power.

All dashcams come with such a 12 to 5 volt adapter for the dash / console.

If you want to have your dash 12 V socket free for other things you can still hardwire the regular provided power supply, but then you need to buy a female 12 V socket and wire that into something or with a fuse adapter piggy back on a fuse.

Most dashcams do also have their own hard wire kits, which you will need for sure if you want to be able to do parking guard, but even if not you can also use that to keep your dash socket free for other stuff.

If you mean splice into a 12 V ACC wire at the mirror, you probably do not have room for the 12 V male and a female plug, and so the smaller hard wire kit might be the way to go.

Vantrue though, not the best hard wire kits, they have a 11.8 volt cut off, which if you hit that often will damage a lead acid battery as they are not meant for deep discharge like that, you should always keep your car battery at 12.2 volts or over.
BUT ! if you do not enable parking guard i assume it will just act like a regular power source and the camera will not draw power, not least if you are also tapped into a ACC power source.

In general you need to tab into a walways on +12 V source for these 2 wire hard wire kits vantrue use, most other kits today use 3 wire hard wire kits, where you have a always on +12 V and a ACC +12 V and then the shares ground, so in that case the ACC connection sort of act like the trigger to tell if the camera are to go to parking guard or regular mode.

It is not uncommon for people with some DIY skill to splice into wires at the mirror, but the hard wire kits have wires long enough to go from a fuse box usually down low and up the A pillar to the middle of the windscreen.
A few cars might have the battery or fuse box out back, in that case you would have to extend wires, and doing so on the 12 V side of things are also fine, extending USB cables, at least the generic power one to the camera wire can be a problem, for sure you want to go with a quality cable and not cheap CCA cables. ( Cobber Clad Aluminum )

There are a few cameras that actually have 12 to the camera, most often using a small 2.1 or 3 mm barrel plug, these most often then have the low voltage cut off for parking guard build into the camera itself instead of the 12 -> 5 V conversion box in the 5V based systems.
I think both Thinkware and Blackvue do systems with a 12 V input on some models at least and probably also a few other brands., then you could shorten the power wire down a lot and insert a small inline 5A fuse.

You can also modify, many cameras have the 12 -> 5V converter in the 12 V plug itself, but the PCB in there are actually pretty small, so you could liberate that from the bulky plastic housing, solder a +12V and 12 GND wire on ( with a fuse on the +12 V of course) , and then hide the PCB in a piece of shrink tube, or as i did years back with a NAV unit just wrap a lot of electrical tape around it.

Street guardian have the 12 -> 5V converter in a box a few feet up the 12 V cable above the plug, this mean you can snip off the 12 V plug and use fuse adapters to tap into a fuse if you want to keep the dash socket free, this free option however do not give you parking guard, just a nice option to have to keep the dash socket free.
You can also shorten the normally rather lengthy 5V cable on dashcam power sources, it should just be the 2 wires in there +5V and 5V GND, you of course then have to solder things together and insulate that with heat shrink tube to make sure you dont short things out.
Fairly simple if you have a little DIY skills and a soldering station.

There always seem to be a lot of surplus wires working with dashcams, some times i have it bundled up under the dash / in front of the glove box, or i have shoved surplus wire in over the headliner to be "stored " there.

As i have been in the game for many years i have made some modifications to my car for me to be able to accommodate a lot of systems, some times i will have 4-5-6 systems in the car with up to 12 cameras in total.
So in my glove box i have 2 X 3 12 V sockets, and also 2 multi port USB chargers that can also run a dashcam if need be.
And i am also tapped into a few fuses now as i have to be that in order to test parking guard features in systems.
My 12 V socket in the dash are free for other things.

In general the trim plastic on A pillars are easy to pry off, and most often all you have behind it is a guide strap for the curtain airbags, and some of the cars own wires.
I need new trim plastics as by now they have been off / on so many times they can hardly stray in place, my place is to go to a salvage yard this summer and find something i can use.

Routing a rear camera out back, you have to be carefull with the wire and curtain airbags, the wire need to be above or behind the airbag so it is not in the way if it deploy, you can maybe also route cable down low if the car are not too big, or you can go in under the doors weather strip where the wire can most often fit in under the rubber.
it is also a good idea to first do a dry run of the rear camera cable loosely draped along the intended route, cuz the rear cameras have been known to interfere with DAB and SAT radio, so if routing in one side is no good, maybe the other side is better, and more easy to find out before you have spent a hour routing the wire out back.

For this test just shove cable in along the headliner and screw curtain airbags, it is just a quick test in the driveway / garage.

Back