6000 km girls roadtrip. Which 2 cameras dashcam?

Eve Chevalier

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

I read few post but I didn't find the perfect match.

I'm in canada and I'll be driving 6000 km (Roadtrip from Québec to British Columbia). I think it can be interesting to have a dashcam for our souvenirs and in case we see E.T or maybe an accident :)

I want a 2 cameras Dashcam, one for the front (the road) and one to film the driver and the passenger (wide angle?)

We want something simple.

I saw one with a battery and you can plug it whenever you want -> Since it's a pretty big roadtrip we'll have other things to plug in the 12 volts (phone, gps, etc.).

I was thinking to pay around 150$ but I don't need a ultra professional cam.
Should I think about buying a 32gb sd card?

More info:
Car: mazda 5

I don't know anything about dashcam and/or car.
I hope I gave you in off infomation, if you need more just ask

Thank you

Eve

PS: Sorry for my english

You'll be disappointed with the quality of 2 channel cameras under $150.
Also, not one but you need multiple 32gb cards otherwise you'll have to transfer files every 5 hours if you wan to save entire trip.

I suggest the $95 BlackSys CF-100 ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00LBQGKX8
Don't be misled by the low price ... it's a quality product that performs way beyond any other solution in this price bracket.

The problem is that the deal is through Amazon USA, so it's probably not open to you in Canada? Unless you have friends or relatives in the US who could buy it then send it to you?

The Mobius or a B40/A118C, or the B40 pointing forward, the mobius wide angle pointed inside?

You'll end up with a rats nest of cables. You'll want a 12v USB hub type thing to run the GPS, cell phones, and cameras.

Assuming you'll have laptop with you, a 32 gb card is ok. Just copy the card during the day if you do not want to lose any footage. You'll get about 4 hours on the card.

FWIW, I ran a mobius on a ten day trip to thailand earlier this year, and saved most of the video. I still haven't looked at all the files. (too damn many)
I find it easier to just keep the time synced on the camera, keep a notepad, and write down the times of things you want to view and save.

Here's some video from a Mobius wide angle., with in car audio covered up, unless you like to hear people arguing.
'Where are we?'
"I don't know"
'But you said to go this way?'
"no I didn't"

Last edited:
It's going to be very difficult finding a dashcam that has a battery that can operate the cam for very long.

You will either need to hardwire the power from the fuse box or get a 12V adapter to increase the number of sockets. Something like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/220879472405
I would expect a Mazda5 to have multiple 12V sockets throughout the cabin.

You can use an external battery pack to power your phone, then fit a dual usb adapter to power your dash cam and sat nav off the cigarette lighter, though it might be easier to ask an auto electrician to hardwire both dash cams so they power up from your car battery when you start driving.

As to which camera to use, perhaps the Mobius action cam would be your best option, though perhaps invest in a couple of 64GB Kingston micro SD cards instead of 32GB, and make sure the cards are supplied and fulfilled by Amazon, NOT a reseller.

Back